Post-game comments from Tubby - says worse loss in his time at Minnesota

My measuring stick has turned out to be a pretty good indicator, though. The measure is how many guys are good enough to make a roster and play a game. The '97 team had:

John Thomas
Trevor Winter
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobson
Quincy Lewis

5 is a pretty good number. It indicates pretty good talent.

I loved that team. Ton of talent. But the sum of the parts was even better than the talent and the teamwork on the floor made the stock of all of the players rise.

That is bs.

Mbakwe is a talent

Rodney Williams would be a talent on any other team. He is a ZONE KILLER if used properly, get him in the short corner and he could destory teams. Get him on the free throw line and in a 2 man game, nightmare

Austin Hollins is sooo smooth, yet he isn't aloud to run the wing like he should

Joe Coleman is a strong physical wing player that is forced to stand behind the 3 point line...

We have a lot of skill, just 0 players suited for a high low offense...
That is BS. Coleman should be at a mid major. Probably leads the country in getting his shot blocked. What does he do well? Even if Rodney could drive to the basket and he can't he's a fifty percent frreethrow guy. We have three decent players in the Hollins and Trevor and that's about it. And Dre will never be a point guard. I blame recruiting more than coaching.

Can you say deer in headlights. Tubby has no clue how to coach against a zone. Every team knows it.

All true and good. But, who has gotten better? In turn, look at the Badgers. 9-4 with St. Cloud St. Talent. Coaches matter. Players get better and look better with functional coaching. Wouldn't we get lucky and finish over .500 one yr? Even Spencer T stated that Tubby can't handle losing. He's a front runner. Gotta remember, this guy destroyed Kentuckys edge and made Rondo like Maverick!

Wisconsin has St. Cloud state talent? Lol

Inept, that is the word that kept coming to my mind today. That is the worst coaching performance I have observed as a Gophers fan. Inept would also describe the basketball abilities of 2-3 guys Tubby has on scholarship.

100%. I said since before the season our Achilles heel is that we have no back-up PG. This is precisely why we can't beat a simple zone employed by Northwestern or Iowa. No amount of coaching or adjustments today were going to make Maverick or Welch capable of beating these zones. We don't have the personnel needed to handle the ball & sadly that rests on Tubby. I'm still supporting Tubby & the team. Still hoping they find a way to turn it around & make a post season run, but if we got NIT or one & out in the Dance I won't shed any tears if Tubby is let go.
To be honest,our Achilles heel is we don't have a legitimate point guard. Dre has great talent,but not as a point guard. If we had a true point,Dre could play the 2,and Austin the 3 with Coleman coming off the bench.

To be honest,our Achilles heel is we don't have a legitimate point guard. Dre has great talent,but not as a point guard. If we had a true point,Dre could play the 2,and Austin the 3 with Coleman coming off the bench.

I don't think it is an issue of having a "true" point guard (which I think is overrated), rather it is that we don't have another point guard. Andre's performance at point guard doesn't hurt us, what hurts us is not having him playing shooting guard. If we had a second (even less talented) Dre, then we could move the good Dre to SG and I think we would be much better off.

He plays for Cal.

Marble is taller, quicker, and stronger and a better playmaker and finisher . I love his game and he looks the part of a future pro.

I love Austin, but agree he isn't a play maker. And if fact, there really are no play makers on this time. I guess Dre is, but he just isn't a stone cold point guard. This is magnified when there is no one else on the roster that can help him out. Can this staff please recruit someone that can dribble the ball.

All true and good. But, who has gotten better? In turn, look at the Badgers. 9-4 with St. Cloud St. Talent. Coaches matter. Players get better and look better with functional coaching. Wouldn't we get lucky and finish over .500 one yr? Even Spencer T stated that Tubby can't handle losing. He's a front runner. Gotta remember, this guy destroyed Kentuckys edge and made Rondo like Maverick!

You really should think before you type. Wisconsin has many highly rated players on there roster.

Pretty much had the same response as you did. Wisky is underrated in the talent category!

Wisconsin isn't talent deficient. They've got plenty. But they're down a little this year in that category after Taylor's graduation and Gasser's injury. That's why this was our year to finish ahead of them, finish 4th or higher and end THEIR streak of finishing 4th or higher. This was the year. Was.

I usually don't want to point at the kids, but it is time for someone on the floor to be a leader. It was hard to watch each player struggle, the body language was incrediable. No one is rising up under the adverse situations they fold, that is not all on the coaches-that speaks to individual character. Time to look in the mirror gopher players, invest in YOUR season, do the right things, Tubby already has a ring, you have to earn yours!

Really? Better players than the Gophs...

Mentally fragile players? Tubby not being able to help them? WTF?? Something is going on that has the players looking over their shoulders and not focusing. Tubby can't coach them out of it? Are there administrators cracking down on something that they were enjoying? Is it related to Joel Bauman's cease and desist from the University regarding identifying himself as a Golden Gopher wrestler when he post copies of his raps online?

Top Bottom