Post Free Agency Declare/Pre NBA Draft Decision Big Ten Standings Projection

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I'll update this in early June after we know who's staying in the draft and who's returning to school. Key Big Ten decisions TBD from Coleman Hawkins, Terrance Shannon Jr, Jaden Akins, AJ Hoggard, Keisei Tominaga, Chase Audige, Brice Sensabaugh, Zach Edey, Paul Mulcahy, and Clifford Omoruiyi.

Curious who others think is the Big Ten favorite, and where they think Gophers will finish. I honestly don't know what to make of (roughly) teams 8-14 right now.

Disclaimer: Don't shoot the messenger! The last four seasons the Gophers have finished lower than I predicted on my final prediction right before the season starts. So no reverse homer accusations, please!

Post Portal Declare Big Ten Projection
Double Bye

1 Michigan State
2 Purdue
3 Maryland
4 Wisconsin
SingleBye
5 Illinois
6 Northwestern
7 Ohio State
8 Rutgers
9 Iowa
10 Nebraska
Weakling Wednesday
11 Indiana
12 Michigan
13 Penn State
14 Minnesota

1. Michigan State
2. Purdue
3. Northwestern
4. Maryland
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Illinois
8. Rutgers
9. Nebraska
10. Indiana
11. Penn State
12. Iowa
13. Michigan
14. Minnesota

Yes, we've improved our roster IMO, but when I look at the talent of the other teams, we simply aren't as talented as those ahead of us IMO. Hopefully we have better chemistry than the teams ahead of us, based on not as much roster turnover. Also, teams that typically are bad(PSU, NW and Nebraska) appear to have better rosters, especially NW with Buie returning. The B1G won't be the best league, but it's super deep again next year IMO.

Selection has done his homework again. I don’t like predicting below Wisconsin, but I’m moving us to 5. It’s going to take coaching at a high level and no season ending injuries.

I have a good feeling that we won't be in weakling Wednesday. I think we have a more talented and balanced roster and I think Ben is also going to be an improved coach.
To get out of Weakling Wednesday means a jump of our places in the standings. Possible, and maybe a little schedule analysis might alter my perspective, but it strikes me as more optimistic than my old bones can handle to expect better than 11th place.

Just out of curiosity, does Weakling Wednesday expand when the West Coast teams join?

We should enjoy 14th while we can, a year from now, with UCLA and USC joining, we may be happy with 14th if things don't change quickly around these parts.

Go Gophers!!
Things have changed, we just don’t see them yet. We have great young players taking over roles and Garcia is back. We will even see a couple freshmen hitting it big. We will have 4 that can play B1G point guard. We need 2 or 3 on the floor at times.

To get out of Weakling Wednesday means a jump of our places in the standings. Possible, and maybe a little schedule analysis might alter my perspective, but it strikes me as more optimistic than my old bones can handle to expect better than 11th place.

Just out of curiosity, does Weakling Wednesday expand when the West Coast teams join?
Yes.

Assuming all 16 teams are invited (likely), starting next season Weakling Wednesday will be seeds 9 through 16.

1 through 4 double bye
5 through 8 single bye
9 through 16 no bye (9 vs. 16, 10 vs. 15, 11 vs. 14, 12 vs. 13)

Yes.

Assuming all 16 teams are invited (likely), starting next season Weakling Wednesday will be seeds 9 through 16.

1 through 4 double bye
5 through 8 single bye
I would’ve preferred a triple bye.
Terrible Tuesday.
Weakling Wednesday.
Average Thursday.
The real tournament weekend.

Selection has done his homework again. I don’t like predicting below Wisconsin, but I’m moving us to 5. It’s going to take coaching at a high level and no season ending injuries.
You are predicting the ‘Minnesota Golden Gophers’ to end up in 5th place?
Holy smokes.

Things have changed, we just don’t see them yet. We have great young players taking over roles and Garcia is back. We will even see a couple freshmen hitting it big. We will have 4 that can play B1G point guard. We need 2 or 3 on the floor at times.
Everyone loves to recall the old Clem days, well at least I do. In '87-88 Clem's team went 4-14 in the Big Ten after going 2-16 the year before.
Then in 1988-89 the team went 9-9 Big Ten and got to the Sweet 16. Who were the big additions that spring boarded the improvement?

Nobody. Bob Martin a frosh averaged 2.5 pts per game. That's it. It was all player improvement on both ends of the court.

Players do develop. The reason nobody believes it is because they don't believe in the coach. At the time a whole lot of us wondered about Clem as well- it sure didn't look good going into that season.

Will it happen? I don't know. I have a feeling we will be a lot better than last year.

Yes.

1 through 4 double bye
5 through 8 single bye
Thanks. Hardly fair to call it Weakling Wednesday when half the league is included. New terminology needed.

Here's the bigger question:

Does Rockraven last into January before abandoning this nonsense and resurfacing under a new screen name?

I put the over/under on this at 31 December.

Here's the bigger question:

Does Rockraven last into January before abandoning this nonsense and resurfacing under a new screen name?

I put the over/under on this at 31 December.
I may not post a lot because the evil negativity of Minnesota will drag me down. High fliers avoid negativity as much as possible. I’m surprised it has consumed Loblaw. Besides Gopher football is not far off. It isn’t like I haven’t dumped you losers before.

Thanks. Hardly fair to call it Weakling Wednesday when half the league is included. New terminology needed.
Was thinking the exact same thing, how I can work around that. It's really not fair to lump all those 8 teams together.

What I came up with is starting in 2024-25 I'll tweak it to "Weakling Wednesday Wankers" (British definition). The WW Wankers will be defined as the #13-16 seeds. That's still company you don't want your team keeping, no matter how good your conference is.

If this team doesn't make the NCAA Final 4...I'd fire Johnson. Just going off of Rockravens analysis. We have 5 all big ten level players. So many guys to handle the ball its embarrassing. Garcia is the 2nd coming of Shaq's sophomore year. Hard to see Carrington not averaging 25ppg. The fact that Payne isnt projected as the #1 pick overall shows whats wrong with basketball. And I havent mentioned that Christie makes Prime Kobe look feeble.

If this team doesn't make the NCAA Final 4...I'd fire Johnson. Just going off of Rockravens analysis. We have 5 all big ten level players. So many guys to handle the ball its embarrassing. Garcia is the 2nd coming of Shaq's sophomore year. Hard to see Carrington not averaging 25ppg. The fact that Payne isnt projected as the #1 pick overall shows whats wrong with basketball. And I havent mentioned that Christie makes Prime Kobe look feeble.
Wow. Almost quoting me!

McDonald's AA Mackenzie Mgbako commits to IU. That just made them more formidable.

I may not post a lot because the evil negativity of Minnesota will drag me down. High fliers avoid negativity as much as possible. I’m surprised it has consumed Loblaw. Besides Gopher football is not far off. It isn’t like I haven’t dumped you losers before.
Won't you be gloating about how good we are by that time?

Am I the only one who thinks the badgers will continue their downward slide? Looking for them to challenge the gophers for 14th

Everyone loves to recall the old Clem days, well at least I do. In '87-88 Clem's team went 4-14 in the Big Ten after going 2-16 the year before.
Then in 1988-89 the team went 9-9 Big Ten and got to the Sweet 16. Who were the big additions that spring boarded the improvement?

Nobody. Bob Martin a frosh averaged 2.5 pts per game. That's it. It was all player improvement on both ends of the court.

Players do develop. The reason nobody believes it is because they don't believe in the coach. At the time a whole lot of us wondered about Clem as well- it sure didn't look good going into that season.

Will it happen? I don't know. I have a feeling we will be a lot better than last year.
That was a fun season when they improved and made the sweet 16. We need someone to develop into Willie Burton though. :).

I have a good feeling that we won't be in weakling Wednesday. I think we have a more talented and balanced roster and I think Ben is also going to be an improved coach.
WI and NB were in weakling Wednesday this year. They were 9-11 in the BIG. Even the most optimistic GHers are saying 8-10 wins. Guess what GHers? That's still WW.

Wisconsin has finished higher in the B1G for 25 years in a row & counting.

1997-98 was last time we edged them out (even with five forfeits).

Top Bottom