Possible position changes for next season....

How about moving Eskridge to kicker. We will be in big trouble once Ellestad is gone.

The #2 rated Kicker recruit in the country, Kip Smith, would like to introduce himself to Gold04.

Disagree, by the time a player reaches your safety it is too late and too big of a gain. Cooper needs to stop the big plays long before they reach the safety. All you need from a safety is a sure tackler to clean up peoples messes, not necessarily an outstanding athlete. I give you John Pawielski as an example (I know their are exceptions to the rule, Tyrone Carter, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater,) but you might as well put your best in the front 7 in my opinion.

I'm not only talking about a run-stopping hammer. I'm talking about a big strong safety that can cause snot bubbles on midfield pass patterns and cover the whole field from side to side. Keanon is athletic enough to cover any receiver in the BT.

Safeties are also crucial in red zone defense. Theret taking a bad angle and cream-puff dive at Jahvid Best's vapor trail when he ran to the pilon in the Cal game for his 3rd or 4th touchdown comes to my mind. Happened right in front of me and I couldn't believe how poor of a tackle attempt that was. Our OLB was sealed by the TE or FB.

I'm not only talking about a run-stopping hammer. I'm talking about a big strong safety that can cause snot bubbles on midfield pass patterns and cover the whole field from side to side. Keanon is athletic enough to cover any receiver in the BT.

Safeties are also crucial in red zone defense. Theret taking a bad angle and cream-puff dive at Jahvid Best's vapor trail when he ran to the pilon in the Cal game for his 3rd or 4th touchdown comes to my mind. Happened right in front of me and I couldn't believe how poor of a tackle attempt that was. Our OLB was sealed by the TE or FB.

I am not saying Safeties are complete wastes, It definitely helps when you have a good one. I would just rather have great athletes at LB and stop running plays before they get deep in the secondary and cover TE's and extra receivers at the line and get help from safeties over the top. I would not have minded seeing Cooper at safety this year with Lawrence at LB, but next year I would rather see Cooper at LB. We need 2 Coopers

I am not saying Safeties are complete wastes, It definitely helps when you have a good one. I would just rather have great athletes at LB and stop running plays before they get deep in the secondary and cover TE's and extra receivers at the line and get help from safeties over the top. I would not have minded seeing Cooper at safety this year with Lawrence at LB, but next year I would rather see Cooper at LB. We need 2 Coopers

Cooper will be starting at LB next year.

I think our RsFr Kenny Watkins and Kerry Lewis are going to be very good. When they get the experience to step in and compete with the elder safeties it will add to the athleticism of the defense on the field.

there is no doubt cooper is starting at LB next year, they gave him a RS year to bulk up and groom him for Lawrence's spot.

#1: Anthony Jacobs: I think he will convert from Defensive End to Defensive Tackle. He is 6'2" 289. We lack a lot of depth at the DT spot. The only players we have returning who can play much DT are Kirksey and Edwards, and Cosgrove loves to rotate in defensive lineman. We have a few very talented young DE's (Garin, Gregory-McGhee, Hageman, Wilhite), and Jacobs would gives us three pretty talented young DT's.

I agree with this and have been saying this will be Jacob's eventual position for a while. We aren't getting a pass rush from our DE's right now and moving Jacobs inside (he is a fast 3-technique but a slowish DE) helps improve the pass rush. For this to work we need Hageman, KGM and possibly Garin to emerge at DE allowing enough depth at DE to move Jacobs inside. Iowa was able to do this successfully this year with Ballard because Binns emerged at DE.

#2: Shady Soloman: Convert from RB to Safety. The kid will likely never see the field again in the backfield. He is getting minutes on kick coverage, and he is a pretty athletic, can run, and he definitely has the size to play safety. The Gophers already have Eskridge and Bennett in Shady's class, and Whaley is a year younger (not to mention Kirkwood and Huff). Shady is a smart, tough kid and I think his only chance of contributing more than special teams is in the Defensive backfield.

It could happen but we already have a lot of players at safety (from his class Dandridge & Rallis and Watkins & Lewis from the younger class) so I'm not sure if he will contribute at S either. My other concern is whether he has the hips to play DB. He certainly doesn't have the hips for CB and as a RB he is such a straight ahead runner that I have never seen the hip fluidity in him for S.

#3: Kim Royston: The Gophers have Rallis and Theret who have experience in the Defensive backfield. I am not really predicting this one, but I could definitely see the Gopher staff making this switch if they are more comfortable with the safety position than the CB position. Royston played a lot of CB (nickle/dime) at Wisconsin. So I guess I am saying it is more of a possibility than I am saying it will/should happen.

I believe I was the first person to propose this. Now that we added a Juco CB to the class it may not be as necessary but my thought was that I'd rather move Royston to CB and have Watkins & Dandridge compete to play at S than just hand the CB spot to Collado.

#4: Moses Alipate: This is similar to how I feel about the Royston situation. Moses is without question, a big strong athlete. The kid is 6'3", 240 lbs and he can move. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the coaching staff to think it would make more sense to move Moses to TE, and get this kid on the field sooner rather than later. The Gophers have Gray ahead of him, and have Parrish coming in next season.

I could see this move happening in time but I don't see it happening next year. Alipate should be #3 on the depth chart next year and when Weber leaves he will be given the chance to compete for the #1 QB spot with Gray & Parish. If Alipate is going to be moved it will be after that QB competition.

Overall I like your thoughts.

You think it's way too early to declare the backup QB who has taken snaps and series this season the heir apparent to Weber? You're joking right?

Sure. Our quarterback situation could mirror Arizona's, with Gray playing the role Matt Scott and Moses Alipate playing the role Nick Foles.

Sure. Our quarterback situation could mirror Arizona's, with Gray playing the role Matt Scott and Moses Alipate playing the role Nick Foles.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Alipate will have a year of eligibility after Gray is gone. And he was a stronger prospect than Parish.
Is there something about Alipate that I don't know? From what I've heard he's the best raw QB talent on our roster.

Alipate is a QB. He redshirts this year and is 2nd string as a RS sophmore. I don't think you move him unless Parrish comes here and is a stud. You have to wait and see. Parrish has to RS, for sure. It's too early to think about moving Alipate anywhere.

Jacobs will play both DE & DT next year, just like he is this season.

Salomon has to move. I'm sure he'll either move or transfer. He can see his future on this team is not at RB. I hope he stays and plays S. I think he's a football player.

Tinsley isn't even 230lbs. Unless he packs on a ton of size, i can't see moving him to DE. We need him at LB as it is. Our numbers at DE are just fine. I think you'll see a lot of rotation on the DL next year based on situations.

Stoudamire is explosive with ball in his hands, but how do you get him the ball? He's not a smooth receiver. He definately does not have top-shelf hands or ball skills. He's going to make a great catch every once in a while, but he will drop his share, too. A move to CB would not be a bad idea if there's enough talent at WR.

I sure hope Hageman is a stud DE and is ready to see major time next year. If not, i'd like to see him back in the mix at TE. I think the loss of Tow-Arnett is going to be huge, and i don't see anyone behind him that's even close to picking up his slack.

Is it practical for a QB to play two positions? Or would playing Moses at TE as well as QB hamper his ability to learn the QB role? You would like to get good use out of your talent, but not at too much of a cost. He could be the starter at QB by his senior year, potentially earlier.

The only reason why I suggested moving Moses to TE is because he is such a good athlete. I wasn't knocking his QB abilities, I just think 6'3", 230 (can get up to 245 ish) guys who can move are rare, and it would be nice to get such a good athlete on the field before his 5th year.

I guess it is possible that Moses beats out Gray, but honestly, what does anyone think the percent chance is that Gray will not be the heir apparent to Weber? I think it's minimal. If Moses is resistant to the change, I could understand that, I just think good programs find a way to get their best players on the field.

As far as needing Moses as a 3rd stringer, well that is misleading. Obviously, if Parrish comes into practice at the U and he does not look like a capable Big 10 QB, you don't do the switch. However, if Parrish impresses at all, it makes sense to me. Parrish would be the 3rd string next season without losing a year of eligibility (most likely). You don't redshirt a guy till the end of the year, and the only criteria is that he doesn't play in a game. Parrish can be on the team, and practice as a third string, and the only way he loses his redshirt is if Gray and Weber go down (and we decide against playing an emergency QB by Lueck).

Like I said, I wasn't ripping on Moses's ability, I was just suggesting that it might be worth looking into to get a kid who has those kind of physical gifts on the field before his 5th season.

I doubt there will be any QB position changes next year because it is a near perfect lineup (experience wise) of QBs:
1. Weber, Senior
2. Gray, Sophomore
3. Alipate, Redshirt Freshman
4. Parrish, Redshirt

I doubt there will be any QB position changes next year because it is a near perfect lineup (experience wise) of QBs:
1. Weber, Senior
2. Gray, Sophomore
3. Alipate, Redshirt Freshman
4. Parrish, Redshirt

I agree. No need to move anyone and Brewster is trying to build depth in the program. Competition will only make the program and team better.

Will Nolan Brewster start in the secondary or will he redshirt?

Even if Moses is behind Gray after Weber leaves, he's still only one play from being a starter. If he's your 2nd best QB you leave him there. If he drops behind Parish on the depth chart, then you can think about moving him.

Even if Moses is behind Gray after Weber leaves, he's still only one play from being a starter. If he's your 2nd best QB you leave him there. If he drops behind Parish on the depth chart, then you can think about moving him.

I agree with this sentiment. When I proposed that Moses be moved to TE, it was contigent on "if the difference between Parrish and Moses is marginal". If Moses is clearly a better QB than Parrish, I agree you leave him exactly where he is. If not, then I think you strongly consider moving him to TE.

Speaking of Nolan Brewster I heard he plays in Nickel situations for Texas, do you guys think he would even be good enough to play in Nickel situations for us?

Top Bottom