Possible position changes for next season....

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
#1: Anthony Jacobs: I think he will convert from Defensive End to Defensive Tackle. He is 6'2" 289. We lack a lot of depth at the DT spot. The only players we have returning who can play much DT are Kirksey and Edwards, and Cosgrove loves to rotate in defensive lineman. We have a few very talented young DE's (Garin, Gregory-McGhee, Hageman, Wilhite), and Jacobs would gives us three pretty talented young DT's.

#2: Shady Soloman: Convert from RB to Safety. The kid will likely never see the field again in the backfield. He is getting minutes on kick coverage, and he is a pretty athletic, can run, and he definitely has the size to play safety. The Gophers already have Eskridge and Bennett in Shady's class, and Whaley is a year younger (not to mention Kirkwood and Huff). Shady is a smart, tough kid and I think his only chance of contributing more than special teams is in the Defensive backfield.

#3: Kim Royston: The Gophers have Rallis and Theret who have experience in the Defensive backfield. I am not really predicting this one, but I could definitely see the Gopher staff making this switch if they are more comfortable with the safety position than the CB position. Royston played a lot of CB (nickle/dime) at Wisconsin. So I guess I am saying it is more of a possibility than I am saying it will/should happen.

#4: Moses Alipate: This is similar to how I feel about the Royston situation. Moses is without question, a big strong athlete. The kid is 6'3", 240 lbs and he can move. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the coaching staff to think it would make more sense to move Moses to TE, and get this kid on the field sooner rather than later. The Gophers have Gray ahead of him, and have Parrish coming in next season.

Any other possibilities you guys can think of? Or do you want to blast mine?

I would move Stoudemire to corner. He could still see the field plenty as a WR, but his athleticism would help this program immensely at corner. Plus, I think he makes the pros as a CB/KR rather than a Harvin WR/KR type player.

I think you keep Jacobs at DE. Looking at Garin on the sidelines, he's a long ways off. He's pretty small -- gonna take a lot more muscle to see the field. Can't necessarily count on that next year, especially as a RS freshman.

I also like Shady in the defensive backfield. He seems like an intelligent player, and I think a lot of the game in the aspect of the field can be taught.

With Tow being gone after this year, maybe we should move Gray to Tight End!

Disagree strongly with the Stoudemire comment. He's got too much upside and explosiveness at WR (in a year where we need to replace production at WR) to move to the defensive side.

I disagree strongly with the Stoud and Gray comments. Stoud's best trait is that he is dynamic with the ball in his hands in space. I don't think you take that out of your offense. As for Gray, I hope that poster was sarcastic about Gray playing TE.

As for Tinsley, well I suppose I could see it. However, I think we lack some depth at LB, especially depth that has any sort of experience. I really don't imagine that they would move Tinsley when we will have to replace 3 LB's next season.

#4: Moses Alipate: This is similar to how I feel about the Royston situation. Moses is without question, a big strong athlete. The kid is 6'3", 240 lbs and he can move. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the coaching staff to think it would make more sense to move Moses to TE, and get this kid on the field sooner rather than later. The Gophers have Gray ahead of him, and have Parrish coming in next season.

If I were Alipate, I would transfer before I allowed the coaches to move me to TE.

I disagree strongly with the Stoud and Gray comments. Stoud's best trait is that he is dynamic with the ball in his hands in space. I don't think you take that out of your offense. As for Gray, I hope that poster was sarcastic about Gray playing TE.

As for Tinsley, well I suppose I could see it. However, I think we lack some depth at LB, especially depth that has any sort of experience. I really don't imagine that they would move Tinsley when we will have to replace 3 LB's next season.

I think we have an excellent 4 some of LBs next year in Tinsley, Reeves, Maresh, and Cooper

With Tow being gone after this year, maybe we should move Gray to Tight End!

Are you serious?!?!?!!? Gray would be a horrible TE... we all know that Weber is the best TE this team has!!!

(Please don't take my post serious, but I know there are some of you that are already on fire just thinking about it.)

Plinnius, where would you want Alipate to play? It sure isn't going to QB inless there's a God awful rash of injuries at that position. He has perfect size, hands, and speed for TE.

Plinnius, where would you want Alipate to play? It sure isn't going to QB inless there's a God awful rash of injuries at that position. He has perfect size, hands, and speed for TE.

I don't think he's disagreeing with you. It's just that Alipate is a quarterback at heart - he's saying Alipate would probably want to transfer and play quarterback for someone else instead of being a TE.

Weber

Didn't some poster want us to move Weber to tight end after his freshmen year?

I think everyone stays where they are, Jacobs can play both DE/DT in different situations.
Stoudemire bring more explosiveness than anyone on the team, he'll stick with offense.

Royston can fill in at CB in different coverage schemes without changing positions.

Tinsley is a LB, and we'll need him to step up next year in the middle.

Alipate isn't changing positions, just because he's huge for a QB doesn't mean he can't play, the kid can wing the ball around, teach him to read a D and he can get the ball to places most Qb's can't.

Shady/Eskridge could potentially switch to S, that would depend on the depth we bring in next year at RB, and who we decide to RS(Huff, Kirkwood, Edwards) my bet is Huff plays, the other two RS.

I would love to see Keanon Cooper play at S instead of LB next year.

We can use a big fast hammer in the defensive secondary.

How about moving Eskridge to kicker. We will be in big trouble once Ellestad is gone.

I totally agree with this. I like him as a LB as well but I think we are deeper at LB than in the secondary and he would be the imposing safety that we are missing. Imagine smallish WR's crossing the middle seeing Mr. Cooper coming at them like a missile....I like that image:)

Between Tinsley, Reeves, Singletary, Maresh, etc..we could have a very nice mix of size and speed. However, Cooper will be a playmaker no matter where we put him.

I have a hunch the coaching staff would really like to make some changes at safety.

The problem is simple: we need more speed. It really hurts us.

Mike Singeltary is back in college playing linebacker at the U.

We need a true Free safety. The last couple of years we have been playing with two SS.

Mike Singeltary is back in college playing linebacker at the U.

So apparently I spelled it wrong huh? Do you want me to run through your posts and point out a few things? Big fricken deal dude

I don't think he's disagreeing with you. It's just that Alipate is a quarterback at heart - he's saying Alipate would probably want to transfer and play quarterback for someone else instead of being a TE.

That, and it's way too early to declare Gray the heir to the Gopher quarterback position.

I think that position changes are not done enough. I read where Cincinnati had huge turnover on their defense from '08 to '09. They ID'd some athletes on offense, moved them over and no drop off in performance. Use your athletes!

That, and it's way too early to declare Gray the heir to the Gopher quarterback position.

I dunno, I think he pretty much was given the role during his recruitment.

You think it's way too early to declare the backup QB who has taken snaps and series this season the heir apparent to Weber? You're joking right? What are the chances that someone beats out Gray for the QB spot after Weber? Maybe 5% tops?

I would not mind seeing Weber moved to Tight End right now because he sure as heck is not a QB regardless of his good game last Saturday, way to far and between adequate performances by him.

Disagree, by the time a player reaches your safety it is too late and too big of a gain. Cooper needs to stop the big plays long before they reach the safety. All you need from a safety is a sure tackler to clean up peoples messes, not necessarily an outstanding athlete. I give you John Pawielski as an example (I know their are exceptions to the rule, Tyrone Carter, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater,) but you might as well put your best in the front 7 in my opinion.

Tinsley probably starts at MLB next year. No need to discuss moving him.

If Weber was going to play another position it would be S instead of TE. He could probably bulk up to play TE but some schools recruited him at S.

If Gray were going to play another position besides QB it would be WR because he has the speed to play outside but lacks the size/blocking ability to play TE. I honestly have no idea if you are serious about moving Gray to TE (although you posted it on GI too so I'm afraid you probably are serious) but to be quite frank the idea is so bad idea that most people think you making a joke.

Top Bottom