Possible Long Term Effects?

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
Lets say the Big 12, SEC, and ACC are all able to play a "normal" season with little/minimal disruptions. What does that mean for the Big 10? Are they strong enough to recover?

As much as it pains me to say it, the decision is probably correct. The timing is questionable and doing it without three other conferences in line with you could be a death sentence for the conference.

B1G Ten looked at this long term condition of athletes who got Covid-19 and realized the financial impact could be much worse if they play.

Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904115-report-at-least-10-big-ten-football-players-have-heart-condition-myocarditis

If Big 12, SEC and ACC play and later it is discovered what they did put kids in harms way you better believe they will get sued. My guess is B1G Ten tries to find a way to pay its football athletes something so they would be considered semi-pro by the Spring and hence they are doing this not to keep a scholarship, but as a employee. Very different liability issues there. It is better to delay one season than to risk playing and getting sued back into the stone ages if an outbreak occurs and long term damage happens. Makes me wonder if the outbreaks that happened at Alabama, LSU and Clemson in the early summer will reveal any heart issues.

If they do not than I have to believe the B1G 10 is overreacting.

Lets say the Big 12, SEC, and ACC are all able to play a "normal" season with little/minimal disruptions. What does that mean for the Big 10? Are they strong enough to recover?

As much as it pains me to say it, the decision is probably correct. The timing is questionable and doing it without three other conferences in line with you could be a death sentence for the conference.
outside of any hits this year, the league has a bunch of helmet schools and B10 money from TV deals and donors. They'll be fine

It's a one year blip. I'll keep repeating it as much as necessary, because it's true.

5* players in the class of 2022 aren't going to suddenly say "screw Ohio State! The Big Ten wouldn't let them play during the worst pandemic in modern humanity!"

Dan Patrick said on his show today that a Big 12 coach told him last night that (paraphrasing) "this changes everything. The Big 12, ACC and SEC are now permanently superior to those "other" conferences."

I call BS. But they will certainly try to use it in recruiting. My guess on the coach: Mike Gundy.

Dan Patrick said on his show today that a Big 12 coach told him last night that (paraphrasing) "this changes everything. The Big 12, ACC and SEC are now permanently superior to those "other" conferences."

I call BS. But they will certainly try to use it in recruiting. My guess on the coach: Mike Gundy.
You can go after him, because he’s a man.

I think it will hurt recruiting, damage the value of the Big 10 network, lead to a few years of lagging ticket sales for teams like Minnesota, Minnesota will need to take out a ton of debt to even run a ghost ship this year, and then they'll need to pay interest on that debt for awhile.

There will be a fair amount of long-term damage, but it can all be mitigated by good management.

B1G Ten looked at this long term condition of athletes who got Covid-19 and realized the financial impact could be much worse if they play.

Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904115-report-at-least-10-big-ten-football-players-have-heart-condition-myocarditis

If Big 12, SEC and ACC play and later it is discovered what they did put kids in harms way you better believe they will get sued. My guess is B1G Ten tries to find a way to pay its football athletes something so they would be considered semi-pro by the Spring and hence they are doing this not to keep a scholarship, but as a employee. Very different liability issues there. It is better to delay one season than to risk playing and getting sued back into the stone ages if an outbreak occurs and long term damage happens. Makes me wonder if the outbreaks that happened at Alabama, LSU and Clemson in the early summer will reveal any heart issues.

If they do not than I have to believe the B1G 10 is overreacting.

I don't know the precedence for this and I'm honestly curious - could leagues actually be held liable for this? If a team has a flu outbreak in their locker room any other year, could people sue the league for that? For a naturally occurring illness I feel like you can't sue the league/school, especially when the players can opt-out if they want.

I don't know the precedence for this and I'm honestly curious - could leagues actually be held liable for this? If a team has a flu outbreak in their locker room any other year, could people sue the league for that? For a naturally occurring illness I feel like you can't sue the league/school, especially when the players can opt-out if they want.

A coach at Maryland was held responsible by his school and the media for a player‘s heat injury death - for the (apparent, still going through the courts most likely) negligent care rendered by training staff he didn’t hire or have management over. He had no legal liability per se and the bad outcome had several caveats, but in the court of public opinion it looked bad. The narrative was “he killed a kid”. He didn’t.

Related: I think the opinions and understandable uncertainty and cautiousness of the Big Ten medical advisors - who certainly aren’t going to put their names on something that says “go for it”, coupled with the prospect of media vultures waiting for a potential event of a player with serious difficulties was a daunting prospect for the administrators. Barring forced Covid parties it would be difficult to prove negligence, but that doesn’t mean lawsuits wouldn’t happen and settlements would be made and heads could roll and the optics of taking advantage of students to pay multimillion dollar staff salaries, particularly of color doesn’t play well in the media.

No doubt a thorny issue where the lawyers are itching for issues to pop up more frequently when the players come down with Covid 19. We're dealing with deaths, long term side affects and who knows what else. This isn't about an illness for a couple weeks or 6 months etc. We're dealing with possible life changing side affects. So much unknown.

We're always quick to rush to judgement as to bashing, criticizing, comparing one person to another etc. as to decision making process. The macho cheap talk "we want to play football" isn't going to cut it with the Big 10 presidents. Look why Bateman decided to take a hike. I don't blame him at all. He and others who have decided to take this year off are looking at this for the long term.

Coaches from other conferences etc, can bash the Big 10 all they want. Remember what goes around comes around.

They won't play either and if they start, they will not finish. It could turn out to be a disaster for all of them. I would like to know what this coach means by changes everything? I see it as a very high risk of failure for them. What advantage does it have for recruiting? Classes are set.

They won't play either and if they start, they will not finish. It could turn out to be a disaster for all of them. I would like to know what this coach means by changes everything? I see it as a very high risk of failure for them. What advantage does it have for recruiting? Classes are set.
We play football no matter what! We’re the best! Frankly it makes no difference outside of making money this year. If that destroys some teams, then sure it gives you an advantage over that team. Now conversely if there’s an outbreak on your squad, some kids come out Saying they said they felt unsafe but feel forced to play to keep their scholarship, or you get listed as exploiting the kids for money (we all know espn won’t call that unless it was the sec halting things, then they’d praise the prudence), you could have a huge hit to your lower tier teams. The top of the top will always be safe (money ain’t leaving OSU Bama Clemson Oklahoma or the like) and the little dogs will have to fight or hope like hell this doesn’t go sideways.

Believe me. I'm not a doctor and I don't play on on TV. This will be an unmitigated disaster. I give it 3 weeks before they shut down and the only reason I give them that much time is they will be in denial. Honestly I hope I'm wrong.

I’d say this: the blue chip athletes want security in knowing that they will play football, period. If they cannot be assured of playing, they will go somewhere they have confidence that they can. From that standpoint, there is a huge gamble on both sides of this. If the B1G and Pac12 can successfully pull off a winter/spring 2021 season, then I think they can retain stature for the most part. But if that doesn’t happen and three conferences successfully pull off playing a season, I think the B1G will struggle to pull in blue chip (NFL caliber) athletes for many years to come.

And I don’t think PJ will stay here either, under that scenario, as even those with never-ending engines don’t want to have to give 100% to have no hope to be better than just average.

Somehow, some way, all of the P5 conferences need to be in this together. This is turning into a shlitshow (reminiscent of where the country is as a whole under lack of cohesion).

Last edited:

Look at it this way, if the SEC gets slammed and the season goes to S, the B1G comes out as premier league especially if they pull off spring season. It's all a gamble.

Also, If they play and then after 5 games they have to shut it down, I imagine the spent year of eligibility will not sit well with the players. These schools and the NCAA will have to deal with that problem.

Talking about recruiting.
You're a B1G Coach - let's say named Fleck. You go into a recruit's home. Look Mom in the eye and you say,

"In the B1G, we put player safety and the well-being of our student-athletes 1st - above everything else. if you son goes to the U of MN, I guarantee you that we will always act in his best interest, while he gets a world-class education and plays for an elite football program."

Imagine Fleck selling that. He'll have Mom begging the kid to sign the LOI on the spot.

Also, If they play and then after 5 games they have to shut it down, I imagine the spent year of eligibility will not sit well with the players. These schools and the NCAA will have to deal with that problem.
Unfortunately the NCAA will cave on eligibility. I'm not interested in punishing these kids for some decision there dumb ass school makes, but won't it be great if they lost eligibility.

I’d say this: the blue chip athletes want security in knowing that they will play football, period. If they cannot be assured of playing, they will go somewhere they have confidence that they can. From that standpoint, there is a huge gamble on both sides of this. If the B1G and Pac12 can successfully pull off a winter/spring 2021 season, then I think they can retain stature for the most part. But if that doesn’t happen and three conferences successfully pull off playing a season, I think the B1G will struggle to pull in blue chip (NFL caliber) athletes for many years to come.

And I don’t think PJ will stay here either, under that scenario, as even those with never-ending engines don’t want to have to give 100% to have no hope to be better than just average.

Somehow, some way, all of the P5 conferences need to be in this together. This is turning into a shlitshow (reminiscent of where the country is as a whole under lack of cohesion).
The B1G has lawyers making decisions, you might as well pack it in for the next 10 years and save everyone from themselves

every time you engage the lawyers in my business beyond basic guidance, and ask them to make decisions, it anti customer, sales and marketing. They are so risk averse (if you let them) they will destroy the business. I’ve leaned, you get the lawyer involved, but let good business people make business decisions.

Just waiting for the TV networks to renegociate the deals down if the Big Ten isn’t giving them what they promised to give them when other conferences are.

Just waiting for the TV networks to renegociate the deals down if the Big Ten isn’t giving them what they promised to give them when other conferences are.
I don't see why they'd have to negotiate that. If the games aren't played this year, the networks won't have to pay.

I don't see why they'd have to negotiate that. If the games aren't played this year, the networks won't have to pay.

They will try to renegotiate their entire contracts, rather than only this years'. The current contracts are very favorable to the B1G.

They will try to renegotiate their entire contracts, rather than only this years'. The current contracts are very favorable to the B1G.

Exactly. The financial implications of this will gone beyond one year if the other conferences play.

I feel like we would have heard about renegotiations if they were happening. Also it could be bad press for the TV networks in the court of public opinion, so I think they'll avoid that.

As they should be.

Live sports are one of the very few reasons people actually turn on regular TV anymore. Without them, regular TV is dead as a doornail. It will be all Netflix/streaming services.

Appetite for Big Ten football will be as high as it ever was. Meaning the pay out should continue to be as high as it ever was.

I feel like we would have heard about renegotiations if they were happening. Also it could be bad press for the TV networks in the court of public opinion, so I think they'll avoid that.
If sports are dropped, many, many more customers will drop their cable/satellite packages, like a sack of trash.

Top Bottom