Possible hurricane game vs UNC

We're obviously a long ways out still but it looks pretty likely that the current disturbance off the coast of Africa will become a named storm (Lee) this week and approach the US coast late next week.

The GFS posted in the OP has been pretty terrible for awhile now but is the only model that forecasts beyond 10 days. The Euro which is much more reliable also has a hurricane on day 10, but it's currently forecasting it much further south than the GFS at the same timeframe.

It will be interesting to watch what happens, but a hurricane somewhere off the southeastern US coast looks likely late next week. A strong high pressure system bringing cooler air to the northern US is what I'm more excited about, and may keep this storm out to sea.
Latest from this morning shows it making a sharp turn north early next week towards Bermuda, according to the European model, so probably something like 700 miles off the shore of NC that Saturday.

I think the comparison here is apples and oranges. One concern is fictitious, the other is very, very real.

I preemptively called the hotel I’m staying at and requested a room on at least the second floor in case of flooding. I’m driving, so I will park on at least the second floor of the hotel parking ramp as well. As soon as I get into town, I’m loading up on at least three 24 packs of bottled water (one I will keep in the car, the other 2 will be in the room) and a few days worth of gummy worms and beef jerky. I think all this planning will comfortably get me through the storm.

Lastly, if any of you losers get flooded out of your rooms due to being ill-prepared, you can come to my hurricane party. But you can’t stay the night.
Grab 3-4 cans of SPAM as well.

OT: It will be a nice evening for the game against EMU.

Minneapolis, Mn Sat 16 | Night​

58°

24%
SSW8 mph
A few clouds from time to time. Low 58F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
  • Humidity64%
  • UV Index0 of 11
  • Moonrise8:21 am
    Waxing Crescent
  • Moonset8:07 pm
OOPS! 🤯

Minneapolis, MN Sat 09 | Night​

59°

65%
NNE8 mph
Showers early becoming a steady light rain late. Low 59F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
  • Humidity84%
  • UV Index0 of 11
  • Moonrise12:51 am
    Waning Crescent
  • Moonset5:32 pm

Last edited:

Latest from this morning shows it making a sharp turn north early next week towards Bermuda, according to the European model, so probably something like 700 miles off the shore of NC that Saturday.

Yeah it still looks like it will stay well off the coast although model trends have been slightly closer over the last 24 hrs. The Euro has it moving between Bermuda and the east coast this morning.

It's definitely going to develop into a cat 4 or cat 5 monster though.

Of course there's always that one piece of spaghetti that hangs off the edge of the plate. Let's hope that track heading toward Miami does not unfold.

The poster didn't say "man made" Dakota just inferred it and then got triggered. To me that will always be funny no matter the topic or what side of the fence the comment comes from. Overreactions are always fun that is why it is great to read game threads after the fact! I will mock all that have thin skin!

YMMV
My goodness you have thin skin.

Yeah it still looks like it will stay well off the coast although model trends have been slightly closer over the last 24 hrs. The Euro has it moving between Bermuda and the east coast this morning.

It's definitely going to develop into a cat 4 or cat 5 monster though.
The discussion is either the wrong weekend or the wrong hurricane.

Climate change has been occurring a few billion years. What was the biggest storm to hit N. Carolina 40,000 years ago? Do you know?
Trick question.
40,000 years ago is well before the Garden or Eden, much less when Noah captured a female and male of every living species and put them on a boat to ride out the storm.

But that storm would be the biggest storm to hit N. Carolina…. And the rest of the world.

Being a farmer I watch weather developments closer than meteorologists that seldom get it correct.

There is no hurricane next weekend. Not even rain forecast.
There is a hurricane next weekend, and a rather strong one. Hurricane Lee.

As of now, the forecasts have been trending offshore and if they hold it won't have any effect on the game or anyone's plans in Chapel Hill. Let's hope for this!

The hurricane has not gone away at all and it still could change path and if it did, the Carolinas around Fri the 15th or Sat the 16th would be a main target.

Models right now pretty consistent with turning north. I am hoping stays just west of Bermuda. This is a dangerous storm and could cause total destruction of the island if it were to take a direct hit. Let's also hope it stays of the US coast. The northeast is not equipped for this type of storm. Looking forward to this game. GO HEELS!

Being a farmer I watch weather developments closer than meteorologists that seldom get it correct.
City folks have grown away from nature and the elements. It has huge effects on farmers/our income. I would love to get 4 to 5 inches of rain from Hurricane Lee, but it just ain’t happening. Had 6 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks. The hollows are fine but our hilltops need more rain for our winter grass. Today should be the end of the 90 degree days.

Nah, it was done intentionally to cause this reaction. There's certain things you don't bring up in a forum like this in 2023 unless you're looking to stir the pot. Religion, abortion, climate change, gun control, Covid vaccines, etc.
🤨 you just mentioned them all

Look at this monster

Hurricane hunters in there right now getting readings up to 175-180 mph 🤯

For perspective Hurricane Wilma was the strongest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history, with 185 mph peak winds. We might see that fall in the next 2-3 days.

The models say the ridiculous strength actually makes it more likely to curve away from land. Nobody wants any part of this thing at this strength.

Look at this monster

Let's hope this monster turns northeast and stays offshore. I heard they are saying this will likely grow to a Cat 5. The Carolinas have seen some strong Cat 3's but not an official Cat 4. So, I don't think anyone wants to imagine what a Cat 5 would do to the Carolina shorelines.

So the following game is Northwestern on Sept 23 at home.

Regarding the half time memorial service for gopher fans lost in the hurricane, do you guys like releasing a dove for every fan?

But doves don't seem very gopher-ish, but gophers can't easily get out of the stadium, so how about we release a gopher tied to a dove for each lost fan?

The Gophers defense will slam North Carolina harder than a screen door in a hurricane.

Like lawn furniture strewn across the lawn, Tarheel offensive linemen will be tossed...

Yuk yuk yuk.

But doves don't seem very gopher-ish, but gophers can't easily get out of the stadium, so how about we release a gopher tied to a dove for each lost fan?
Listen, a 6 ounce bird could not carry a 1 pound gopher.

Top Bottom