Possible hurricane game vs UNC

fmlizard

Reaction score
It's very early (13 days out) but forecast models have a major hurricane heading near North Carolina on Friday/Saturday of our game with the Tar Heels.

Chapel Hill is well inland, but it could cause the game to be played in heavy rains or wind. It also may affect travel plans for those who are going to the game.

Something to watch.

Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 12.54.33 PM.png

Certainly the 7-day modeling puts something into play. Let's hope it's steered away from heavily populated areas (although there is no good place for a major hurricane to hit or glance land) if indeed a hurricane forms. The only good outcome is to track far out into the Atlantic.

No doubt this could disrupt things for a football game. The powers at be will (correctly) be highly risk averse, even if only outer bands coming through due to lightning possibilities.

I would much rather be driving than flying under such circumstances. We fortunately ended our Florida vacation the week before Idalia came through. Driving back to the Twin Cities though we still hit torrential rains outside Paducah. 20 miles of white knuckle driving to be sure. Tailed a left-lane traveling big rig that provided for a predictable amount of splash/spray where I could see the yellow shoulder stripe as a navigation guide. Fortunately missed patch of large hail in the area.

Good eye fm and certainly GWGuy will be watching this too.

A 2 week weather forecast- Mmmm
I'm with ya but the OP was not really a "weather" forecast but a long-range regional projection of a significant storm event that if unfolded could "yes" result in weather of note at game time.

In WarGames parlance still at DefCon 5 but a WOPR-indicated ghost just appeared off Alaska...

Now in a week if a Chinese spy balloon doing loopty-loops over Montana type-of-storm appears to be unfolding, then we might have something more to think about...

Until then Go Gophers and Carry On.

We pass heavy now so being wet may not be great for us especially with AK’s heavy throws and our WRs rock hard hands 🤷🏻‍♂️

Right now it's pretty up in the air. Even though tropical formation is likely the path can't really be predicted until it forms. Right now it's 50/50 whether it goes into the Atlantic or Caribbean. It'll be Thursday before the forecasters have a good idea where it's going.

Saturday 1
1693768560144.png

Saturday 2
1693768654189.png

Looks to hit hardest early Sunday.
Sunday 1
1693768701504.png

No idea how accurate this is:

You might hit the drive of your life
So 281 yards it is. I’m not very good but would like to at least have decent weather for golf as we all know Drake Maye can’t throw in a hurricane against Rossi’s defense.

We're obviously a long ways out still but it looks pretty likely that the current disturbance off the coast of Africa will become a named storm (Lee) this week and approach the US coast late next week.

The GFS posted in the OP has been pretty terrible for awhile now but is the only model that forecasts beyond 10 days. The Euro which is much more reliable also has a hurricane on day 10, but it's currently forecasting it much further south than the GFS at the same timeframe.

It will be interesting to watch what happens, but a hurricane somewhere off the southeastern US coast looks likely late next week. A strong high pressure system bringing cooler air to the northern US is what I'm more excited about, and may keep this storm out to sea.

Hurricanes are not like tornadoes, midwesterners. If this thing is remotely within the coast, the game will be post or cancelled.

As of Monday morning, the forecast has been trending away from this making an impact but all could change this far out. Hopefully it will remain a strong fish storm and everyone gets their golf in and sunny skies for game day.

I’ve seen enough, looks like the game will have to be played at Huntington, I don’t make the rules
What "rule" are you referring to? If the game is cancelled there would be no game this year. If the game was postponed wouldn't it be subject to a reschedule which would be difficult as both teams don't have the same open weekend. If the game would be rescheduled to Minneapolis on 9/16 due to a "rule", when would that decision have to be made?

Top Bottom