Possibilities, Probabilities and Where We Really Stand

Anyway, as much as I'll get killed for saying this, I think it's possible that 2019 will end up being like 2003. Basically a double digit year that made us think we were on our way to accomplishing big things, but ended up being nothing more than a one year oasis in a desert of mediocrity and Music City Bowls.

Whoa. All these brand new negative forum members that popped up towards the end of the season. I wonder why?

Yeah, you're probably right.

If Fleck can keep success going, he's going to leave for a bigger program or the NFL.

Then, we'll probably be back in 5-7 land.

With that being said, I think this thread is more about the next 5 years or so.

Fleck in the NFL??? I'm sure. "Come on Randy, just Row the Boat." Not going to happen. Not even close. Total mismatch.

Right now tOHSU recruits head and shoulders above the rest of the B1G. The 2nd tier is Michigan, Wisconsin, and third Tier is Iowa, MSU (although them winning the B1G not too long ago, you could argue 2nd tier and MI third tier). 4th Tier is where we are currently, and then there is Rutgers
If you are talking recruiting, Mich and PSU are tier two. Wisconsin is in tier three.

Sadly, I’m really starting to get why Hawkeye and badger fans make of us.

We won’t get to the WI, PSU, MI or even Iowa levels consistently until we recruit better high school “muscle”. It seems almost every D-line recruit we sign is 6’4” and skinny as a rail. It takes three years to get that kid strong enough to even somewhat belong on the field, and even at that, we have no pass rush. Have you seen the lineman the top schools sign? Holy cow, some of them look like they could pick up a car as an 18-year old. The O-line isn’t a whole lot different, though the two monsters on the right side of our line are a step in the right direction. I believe that we have bridged much of the gap with our talent at all other positions, but the front lines are still lacking.

tOSU won't always be at the top of the Big Ten, although they will still dominate in the long haul.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I like the Gophers' chances of achieving Big Ten titles under this coach. It will take time to build up to it. However, it seems like it will accelerate quicker than we think.

Iowa and Wisconsin will soon be uncomfortable sharing the head table. Winning is infectious. It is hard to fathom as a die-hard fan. A new era of Gopher Football is dawning upon us!

Of course, it follows PJ's Dilbert Cartoon upward zig-zag graph. ?

As a program, MN is definitely still behind Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU, OSU, and MSU. Give me a division champship, a NY6 game, an end of season top 10 ranking, 3 out of 5 years with 9 or 10 wins...the other two with 7 or 8. Then I think we can start making comparisons to programs with decades of sustained success.

I believe MN can DEFINITELY get there under Fleck with the facilities, committment from administration, and improved recruiting...but it takes time.
Totally agree with this

If you are talking recruiting, Mich and PSU are tier two. Wisconsin is in tier three.

I wasn't, but I can see how that was confusing. tOHSU gets more top 100 kids then rest of B1G combined and really separates them from pack. Wisconsin is team that consistently outperforms it's recruiting rankings.

This is why I love this matchup win or lose.. Lets find out where we really do stand against the best competition. So glad we got this draw for the bowl game

My pipe dream is the Big Ten, PAC, and Rose Bowl agreeing to go back to how it was. Champions of the two conferences play on New Years Day in Pasadena. As for the SEC and the rest, screw them. If they want to have a national championship then they can figure out a way to determine who plays the Rose Bowl champ a week later.
NMG, your pipe dream is just that, a pipe dream. It will NEVER happen.

We can be like Iowa. I don't think we can get to Wisconsin's status primarily due to their location being closer to better recruits.
No way. For every advantage they might have over us, we have an advantage over them.

Top Bottom