Possibilities for Bowl Games

Johnob2

Reaction score
Hi All

Still in orbit after the win yesterday.

I understand from a regular fans/teams perspective this is way too early to start this thread - one game at a time etc. But I've got to start saving for a flight to a bowl game and am unsure how all the tie ins will work! Please can someone help with a bit of info? (Sorry - I know it may be a long list at the moment)

I have to be home for Christmas for family reasons but as long as the game is not December 24 to 26th I think I have a legit shot of making it!

What are our likely bowl destinations?

Best wishes

Johnob

It won't be the tidy bowl this year for certain if they win at least one more game. A lot hinges on the next four games whether they will be playing in a New Year's Day Bowl game .

Won't have any real idea until the week of the Michigan State game. Probably won't know for sure until after the Big Ten Championship game on 12/7.

The Gophs will need to get as many wins as possible and hope for help elsewhere. Even if we're 9-3, if given the choice, bowl selectors are likely going to pass us over for the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin, and probably even Nebraska because we basically have no rep and are labeled a program that doesn't bring many fans on the road. The more we win and the power teams lose, the better our fallback bowl is if a game should pass us over.

To those that follow Bowl scenarios more, what is your best guess if we split our last 4 games to go 8-4, (4-4 in B10)? Would that pretty much guarantee a Jan 1 game?

Cbs has us in the Heart of Dallas bowl.

Cbs has us in the Heart of Dallas bowl.

That was probably before the Nebraska win, though. The big win just might open something bigger and better up!

Thanks for the link.

To me it looks like if we go .500 the rest of the way our most likely destination will be either the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville or the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Phoenix, I'm basing this on us being the B10 4th or 5th seed.

Since BWW is headquartered in MN, do you think there would be any sway to go to that game, meaning does the sponsor BWW get any type of input on picking who they might prefer in the game?

Ha -- well at least it would be a New Year's Bowl!!!! We will have to win 8 games to get into a great bowl but any bowl is a good one!

That is a terrible scenario. Local media would spend hours every day pointing out it is not a "real" New Years bowl game.

The biggest question is if the B1G gets that second BCS bowl. If they don't, then everyone is bumped down a notch.

As others have said, if we have the same record as Nebraska, Iowa, and/or Michigan we're going to get passed over for them. Everyone knows that. I think at least 8-4 would be an absolute necessity if we want to avoid a Texas bowl (either Texas or Heart of Dallas). That said, we haven't won a bowl game since 2004, so getting a favorable matchup might not be the worst thing.

Texas bowl would most likely be against the last Big 12 team to make it (probably Kansas State at this point). Heart of Dallas would be against the second best CUSA team (my guess is they'd go with the local North Texas team)

But still lots to play for. The next two weeks will be big. If we want to make a bigger bowl game we really have to win both.

The first rule when projecting Gophers bowl games: the worst-case scenario is usually the most likely. Bowls hate the Gophers because we don't travel well. It took Purdue's football program being a complete dumpster fire and some heavy lobbying by the U of M to get the Texas Bowl to choose us ahead of the Boilers last year.

Getting to 8-4 might not make a bit of difference. The only restriction placed on Big Ten bowls is that the Capital One and Outback bowls cannot select a team with two fewer wins or two more losses than another eligible team. This would have come into play last year if the league hadn't strong-armed the Cap One Bowl into taking Nebraska - the game reportedly wanted Michigan, but once Nebraska got waxed in the B10 title game, the Wolverines were ineligible because they had only eight wins compared to the Huskers' 10. All of this is very unlikely to matter when it comes to the Gophers, however.

One last rule: the Big Ten Championship Game loser cannot fall below the fourth selection, which is the BWW Bowl this year.

In looking at the league's teams, Ohio State is a near lock for the BCS. If they lose the B10 title game, they'd be an obvious at-large selection while the Legends champ goes to Pasadena. If Wisconsin wins out, they would be another attractive at-large candidate - assuming they can rise high enough in the rankings.

The winner of this week's Michigan-Michigan State game will have the inside track to Indianapolis, though the Wolverines have a tougher remaining schedule. Either way, both of those teams will get chosen ahead of Minnesota, so even if the league gets two BCS bids, we're down to Tempe. As bad as they looked yesterday, Nebraska will still probably get to seven wins, and the BWW Bowl wanted them in 2010 before the Big 12 stepped in and nixed it since NU was leaving the conference. And no, just because they sponsor the game, BWW has absolutely zero input on who gets invited to participate.

The Gator Bowl is the first location that is realistically on the Gophers' radar. At 8-4, it's possible. Anything less, I'd say no way. Iowa will become eligible once they beat Purdue, but root for them to lose their other remaining games to finish 6-6, because a 7-5 Iowa is guaranteed to get picked ahead of an 8-4 Minnesota.

If we beat Indiana next Saturday, that will all but end the Hoosiers' bowl hopes. Northwestern's hopes are on life support, but even if they get to 6-6, they would not be all that attractive. So that leaves the Gophers going back to the Texas Bowl as a worst-case scenario at 8-4. Anything less than eight wins probably turns the Texas Bowl into a best-case scenario.

I personally believe the Gator Bowl is in play. We are gonna need two more wins. That would be quite the bowl game for year 3 in my opinion.

The first rule when projecting Gophers bowl games: the worst-case scenario is usually the most likely. Bowls hate the Gophers because we don't travel well. It took Purdue's football program being a complete dumpster fire and some heavy lobbying by the U of M to get the Texas Bowl to choose us ahead of the Boilers last year.

Getting to 8-4 might not make a bit of difference. The only restriction placed on Big Ten bowls is that the Capital One and Outback bowls cannot select a team with two fewer wins or two more losses than another eligible team. This would have come into play last year if the league hadn't strong-armed the Cap One Bowl into taking Nebraska - the game reportedly wanted Michigan, but once Nebraska got waxed in the B10 title game, the Wolverines were ineligible because they had only eight wins compared to the Huskers' 10. All of this is very unlikely to matter when it comes to the Gophers, however.

One last rule: the Big Ten Championship Game loser cannot fall below the fourth selection, which is the BWW Bowl this year.

In looking at the league's teams, Ohio State is a near lock for the BCS. If they lose the B10 title game, they'd be an obvious at-large selection while the Legends champ goes to Pasadena. If Wisconsin wins out, they would be another attractive at-large candidate - assuming they can rise high enough in the rankings.

The winner of this week's Michigan-Michigan State game will have the inside track to Indianapolis, though the Wolverines have a tougher remaining schedule. Either way, both of those teams will get chosen ahead of Minnesota, so even if the league gets two BCS bids, we're down to Tempe. As bad as they looked yesterday, Nebraska will still probably get to seven wins, and the BWW Bowl wanted them in 2010 before the Big 12 stepped in and nixed it since NU was leaving the conference. And no, just because they sponsor the game, BWW has absolutely zero input on who gets invited to participate.

The Gator Bowl is the first location that is realistically on the Gophers' radar. At 8-4, it's possible. Anything less, I'd say no way. Iowa will become eligible once they beat Purdue, but root for them to lose their other remaining games to finish 6-6, because a 7-5 Iowa is guaranteed to get picked ahead of an 8-4 Minnesota.

If we beat Indiana next Saturday, that will all but end the Hoosiers' bowl hopes. Northwestern's hopes are on life support, but even if they get to 6-6, they would not be all that attractive. So that leaves the Gophers going back to the Texas Bowl as a worst-case scenario at 8-4. Anything less than eight wins probably turns the Texas Bowl into a best-case scenario.

Great breakdown, thanks for posting.

Top Bottom