Positive Reasons for Joel Maturi- Wanted

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
I have been on an Anti- Maturi mantra for quite a while. It is refreshing to see others on this board finally line up behind the call as they review the handling of Athlete/Students in this so called -D1 program at the University. Joel is a nice guy but does not have any idea what it takes to win and what impact his "Jimmy Carter" leadership style (or lack of) has on a specific program (like Hoops) and the whole department. Look at the facts regarding the major sports...--Mens BB DOWN, Football DOWN, Hockey DOWN, Womens Hoops-Down,Baseball- DOWN....take out the Big ten network revenues and actual Revenues annulated are Down, Cant even sell out a new stadium for football? Gopher fan enthusiasm- Waning at best.... Does anyone think this program is headed in the right direction under his leadership? I would Love to hear some reasons for his job security. I for one would love to see him retire or be retired!

Reasons for Joel Maturi to remain as Athletics Director:

1. Because millions2spare will be really pissed off.

2. Since Pawlenty is planning to cut state funding of the U by millions of dollars the U will never be able to afford to hire an AD that will satisfy millions2spare.

3. Because Joel did what was necessary to hire Tubby Smith who was not begging to become the Gopher's next basketball coach.

4. Because Joel should not be blamed for Tubby Smith's failings as a coach.

5. Because Joel should not be blamed for Don Lucia's failings as a coach.

6. Because Joel shoud not be blamed held solely responsible for his inability to elevate a football program that has been a miserable failure for over 40 years, and which has been significantly hampered by the local professional football team that has impacted media attention, fan support, and financial resources for Gopher football during that entire period of time.

7. Because Joel should not be blamed for President Bruinink's decision to fire Glenn Mason one year after he ordered Joel to extend Mason's contract to help persuade the state legislature to approve funding for the new Gophers Stadium.

8. Because the financial condition and operation of the Athletics Department is light years ahead of where it was when Joel was hired.

9. Because the overall performance of the men's and women's athletics teams during Joel's tenure has made the U's intercollegiate athletics program one the most successful in the entire country.

10. Since Joel would have received most of the criticism if The Brickhouse had been poorly designed, he should receive most of the credit for its wonderful design.

11. After the new baseball stadium and basketball practice facility are built the U's athletic facilities will be among the finest anywhere in the country.

12. During Joel's tenure as AD the U has won seven National Championships. Only Penn State with nine has won more than the U.

13. Because Joel was instrumental in the decision to hold Royce White accountable for his actions and not allow him to play for the basketball team this year.

I have been on an Anti- Maturi mantra for quite a while. It is refreshing to see others on this board finally line up behind the call as they review the handling of Athlete/Students in this so called -D1 program at the University. Joel is a nice guy but does not have any idea what it takes to win and what impact his "Jimmy Carter" leadership style (or lack of) has on a specific program (like Hoops) and the whole department. Look at the facts regarding the major sports...--Mens BB DOWN, Football DOWN, Hockey DOWN, Womens Hoops-Down,Baseball- DOWN....take out the Big ten network revenues and actual Revenues annulated are Down, Cant even sell out a new stadium for football? Gopher fan enthusiasm- Waning at best.... Does anyone think this program is headed in the right direction under his leadership? I would Love to hear some reasons for his job security. I for one would love to see him retire or be retired!

Maturi has done some wonderful things at the helm and some questionable things as well.
When Maturi lured Tubby Smith to Minnesota almost four years ago, Smith was the best coach available on the market. Period. He didn't settle on some up-and-comer or a mid-major flavor of the week. No, he hired a guy that instantly gave Minnesota mens basketball credibility. Smith's struggles at the U should not be blamed on Maturi.
Being the AD when a new football stadium gets erected on campus doesn't hurt his case either.
However, I am a little frustrated with the way he's handled the Brewster situation and the suspensions of Royce and Mbakwe.
First, Brewster should not be a head coach of a Division I football team. End of story. I don't see what Maturi saw in him when he hired him, and I don't know why he's allowing Brewster to make a mockery of the program. Four coordinators in four years and declining recruiting classes EVERY season? Come on!
Also, I think it would have been a better idea for Maturi to allow Mbakwe to play considering he's obviously INNOCENT until proven GUILTY. Taking basketball away from Mbakwe could be very damaging. With White, I think he should have given him a more concrete suspension. He should have said: "If you do this, I'll allow you to return on this date after this many games." He honestly didn't seem to care that one of the best basketball recruits in the last 15-20 years at the school was slipping right though his hands. I believe Royce never would have quit the team if he knew exactly when he would be eligible to play. What Royce did was stupid, but Maturi gave the young man no hope and made it very clear that the University could care less if he played basketball or not.

Maturi has done some wonderful things at the helm and some questionable things as well.
When Maturi lured Tubby Smith to Minnesota almost four years ago, Smith was the best coach available on the market. Period. He didn't settle on some up-and-comer or a mid-major flavor of the week. No, he hired a guy that instantly gave Minnesota mens basketball credibility. Smith's struggles at the U should not be blamed on Maturi.
Being the AD when a new football stadium gets erected on campus doesn't hurt his case either.
However, I am a little frustrated with the way he's handled the Brewster situation and the suspensions of Royce and Mbakwe.
First, Brewster should not be a head coach of a Division I football team. End of story. I don't see what Maturi saw in him when he hired him, and I don't know why he's allowing Brewster to make a mockery of the program. Four coordinators in four years and declining recruiting classes EVERY season? Come on!
Also, I think it would have been a better idea for Maturi to allow Mbakwe to play considering he's obviously INNOCENT until proven GUILTY. Taking basketball away from Mbakwe could be very damaging. With White, I think he should have given him a more concrete suspension. He should have said: "If you do this, I'll allow you to return on this date after this many games." He honestly didn't seem to care that one of the best basketball recruits in the last 15-20 years at the school was slipping right though his hands. I believe Royce never would have quit the team if he knew exactly when he would be eligible to play. What Royce did was stupid, but Maturi gave the young man no hope and made it very clear that the University could care less if he played basketball or not.

No reputable basketball program lets a player who is charged with a felony to play until the charge is resolved favorably. Even Bob Huggins at Cincy suspended players charged with felonies.

Reasons for Joel Maturi to remain as Athletics Director:

1. Because millions2spare will be really pissed off.

2. Since Pawlenty is planning to cut state funding of the U by millions of dollars the U will never be able to afford to hire an AD that will satisfy millions2spare.

3. Because Joel did what was necessary to hire Tubby Smith who was not begging to become the Gopher's next basketball coach.

4. Because Joel should not be blamed for Tubby Smith's failings as a coach.

5. Because Joel should not be blamed for Don Lucia's failings as a coach.

6. Because Joel shoud not be blamed held solely responsible for his inability to elevate a football program that has been a miserable failure for over 40 years, and which has been significantly hampered by the local professional football team that has impacted media attention, fan support, and financial resources for Gopher football during that entire period of time.

7. Because Joel should not be blamed for President Bruinink's decision to fire Glenn Mason one year after he ordered Joel to extend Mason's contract to help persuade the state legislature to approve funding for the new Gophers Stadium.

8. Because the financial condition and operation of the Athletics Department is light years ahead of where it was when Joel was hired.

9. Because the overall performance of the men's and women's athletics teams during Joel's tenure has made the U's intercollegiate athletics program one the most successful in the entire country.

10. Since Joel would have received most of the criticism if The Brickhouse had been poorly designed, he should receive most of the credit for its wonderful design.

11. After the new baseball stadium and basketball practice facility are built the U's athletic facilities will be among the finest anywhere in the country.

12. During Joel's tenure as AD the U has won seven National Championships. Only Penn State with nine has won more than the U.

13. Because Joel was instrumental in the decision to hold Royce White accountable for his actions and not allow him to play for the basketball team this year.

M2S did not know you were Maturi's brother....Or else Sid Hartman
1. Tubby fell into Maturi's lap (Maturi got lucky)
2. You are seriously blaming Tubby for the poor handling of Royce white? And saying Tubby is a bad coach...Come on, get real...I suppose you love Brewster too?
3. So you call Maturi a success when he keeps a crappy Football program crappy? I wish you were my boss with standards like that.
4. I honestly could give a crap about how our minor sports perform, they do nothing to help the University and just cost money. We need to perform better in the major sports and Maturi is out of his league in this realm.

It is amazing there is only one poster who had any reasons that were PRO-Maturi...

Top Bottom