Portal/transfers around college volleyball

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
[figured it would be better for these things to go in their own thread]

:rolleyes:

Podraza?

I thought Podraza was taking the spring semester to finish her degree and thus would not be transferring until a later date (or perhaps I am mixing up OSU portal players).

Regardless, I wonder when/if this type of portal recruiting starts to affect HS recruiting for some schools. In other words, would a HS prospect be less likely to go to a school that is known as heavily working the portal, knowing your coach might be recruiting over you down the line?

Granted, this is the new world, like it or not, and coaches need to decide how to best use tools like the portal. Do they want to recruit an all star team from the portal each year? Or, do they want exclusively build from within? Or some sort of a mix of these 2?

Sorry, this goes a bit further than responding to your original post, but it's just something I've been mulling over.

I thought Podraza was taking the spring semester to finish her degree and thus would not be transferring until a later date (or perhaps I am mixing up OSU portal players).

Regardless, I wonder when/if this type of portal recruiting starts to affect HS recruiting for some schools. In other words, would a HS prospect be less likely to go to a school that is known as heavily working the portal, knowing your coach might be recruiting over you down the line?

Granted, this is the new world, like it or not, and coaches need to decide how to best use tools like the portal. Do they want to recruit an all star team from the portal each year? Or, do they want exclusively build from within? Or some sort of a mix of these 2?

Sorry, this goes a bit further than responding to your original post, but it's just something I've been mulling over.
Murr

I think all of the OSU players are staying through the spring semester and then will transfer.
Aren't they worried that spots will be gone?

Why are they having the attitude that the schools have to wait on them? They can announce their decision before class is done ...

That’s a great question. I think it will reduce the number of scholarships offered to HS players and probably encourage many of those students to remain in high school for their full four years versus graduating early. Portal players come with experience and physical maturity. I know in the past coaches have strongly encourage those top prospects to leave early and that may continue, but I predict that most players will now stay in HS for 4 years. Personally, I love the idea of high school players staying in school until they graduate. There will be plenty of time in the future to hear roar of Ski-U-Mah!

Go Gophs!

Well, supposedly the only reason that Podraza/Murr/etc are leaving is that 2023 is just their "extra covid" year and so the coach made the decision to not tie up those scholarships for that extra year.

So when those start running out, we should be back to normal. That was award to anyone on a fall 2020 roster, so should be running out after the 2024 season?

Volleyball has always had the one free transfer rule. It's only for football and men's/women's basketball (I believe) that it's new. And then the transfer portal itself, but I don't know how much that actually facilities transfers. It's not like word wouldn't get around to coaches before.

That’s a great question. I think it will reduce the number of scholarships offered to HS players and probably encourage many of those students to remain in high school for their full four years versus graduating early. Portal players come with experience and physical maturity. I know in the past coaches have strongly encourage those top prospects to leave early and that may continue, but I predict that most players will now stay in HS for 4 years. Personally, I love the idea of high school players staying in school until they graduate. There will be plenty of time in the future to hear roar of Ski-U-Mah!

Go Gophs!
Well, if were just P5 players swapping, then there would be the same number of open spots total for high school players.

But it's over all of DI, and even within P5, it's players floating upward to power schools for lower schools.

So the open spots are there, but will be on lower school rosters. Like the minor leagues.

A few recent transfers in the news.

The former Bronze medalist went from Texas to TCU.

Oregon picks up a middle blocker.

Outside hitter UCLA to Louisville.

I would love if a Grad Student and/or parent(s) involved in this process can speak on exactly what takes place for a University such as Minnesota to "roll out the Red Carpet" in hoping such student will agree to finish their 5th year in college here at Minnesota.....Like what would a daily agenda look like?

Last edited:

One of the in-the-news transfer portal players is signed -- and stays in the Big Ten.

NCAA.com's Michella Chester lists the impact transfers thus far:

Another highly anticipated transfer announcement came late January — OSU's decorated libero is heading to Minnesota. The Gophers have seen quite a bit of change this offseason with head coach Hugh McCutcheon stepping down, Jenna Weenaas transferring to Texas, and the loss of their star libero to graduation, CC McGraw. New head coach Keegan Cook found the perfect answer with the transfer of Murr. Murr was known as one of the best liberos in the Big Ten last season, if not the entire NCAA. She averaged 4.69 digs per set at Ohio State in 2022.

Murr -- of course. Fantastic and long pined for.

We were an obvious place for her to land, so I'm glad we closed on it.

Now we need a senior middle transfer and probably another defensive player.

Ah well why not just one more time.

1674872890308.png

1674872808562.png

Last edited:

Kylie Murr: Ohio State to Minnesota (libero)​

Another highly anticipated transfer announcement came late January — OSU's decorated libero is heading to Minnesota. The Gophers have seen quite a bit of change this offseason with head coach Hugh McCutcheon stepping down, Jenna Weenaas transferring to Texas, and the loss of their star libero to graduation, CC McGraw. New head coach Keegan Cook found the perfect answer with the transfer of Murr.

Murr was known as one of the best liberos in the Big Ten last season, if not the entire NCAA. She averaged 4.69 digs per set at Ohio State in 2022.

I thought I read in posts on Volleytalk that some are hoping Washington's 6'3" Portland, Oregon native. Sophomore MB Sophie Summers, will be transferring to Minnesota. It appears there has been no announcement that she is quitting volleyball entirely. However, she did announce she will not be returning to Washington for the 2023 season. Could she be following KCook to Minnesota?

Three scholarships for sure, if not four, opened up with the departure of Booth, CC, Kilkelly and Wenaas. It appears we will not be hearing anything further until closer to May, when another round of players enter the Portal.

Manifesting Weske and Summers to Minnesota and a DS to complement Murr's game.

Kylie's family has joined the Gopher Volleyball Fans group on Facebook and this is what her dad wrote:Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 10.03.54 AM.png

Fun stuff. It's a balm to hear that MN is still considered highly with student-athletes. With the coaching turnaround and player departures it felt a little unsteady.

I thought I read in posts on Volleytalk that some are hoping Washington's 6'3" Portland, Oregon native. Sophomore MB Sophie Summers, will be transferring to Minnesota. It appears there has been no announcement that she is quitting volleyball entirely. However, she did announce she will not be returning to Washington for the 2023 season. Could she be following KCook to Minnesota?

Three scholarships for sure, if not four, opened up with the departure of Booth, CC, Kilkelly and Wenaas. It appears we will not be hearing anything further until closer to May, when another round of players enter the Portal.

Manifesting Weske and Summers to Minnesota and a DS to complement Murr's game.

I noticed you mentioned opposite hitter Emilia Weske of USC. That sounds like a great match for each other.

With Murr coming in and probably another move too, I think Minnesota will have an even better season. I think this is a step-up year for Minnesota.

Kylie's family has joined the Gopher Volleyball Fans group on Facebook and this is what her dad wrote:View attachment 23513

Fun stuff. It's a balm to hear that MN is still considered highly with student-athletes. With the coaching turnaround and player departures it felt a little unsteady.
We're still a solid #3 or #4 in the nation in terms of average fan attendance.

After Neb and Wisc, we're still one of the best, and so it's always going to have a top coach to develop you as well.

At least, I hope that is always how it works out!

I am hoping Murr and Shaff's connection isn't all that rusty. If we are more in system, there is no doubt Shaff will have her best season ever. With the new Coaching Staff working really hard I am sure they will have more GREAT NEWS for us come May besides the signing of Murr.

Top Bottom