Portal Recruiting is a New World

EaganGopher22

Reaction score
I think this topic deserves to be separate from the Portal Transfer Needs thread.

• When does it end? It seems that there will be some period after the Final Four is concluded before the transfers are filed. For example, Ohio State’s season just ended and now three have entered the portal. Perhaps others from the Final Four?
  • What factors give a team an upper hand?
  • A) Being a top team? Several have noted that the rich get richer. But that can only be true for a few players that can play on the top teams.
  • B) Does being a longer tenured coach help? For example, coach had recruited a player from high school freshman year, but missed (maybe second choice). Now player is a sophomore and transferring (still has a relationship with that coach: 4 of last six years) and is still wanted by that coach. (If this really is a factor, the coaches like Whalen and those with less tenure are disadvantaged). I thought I recalled that Pitino had kept up with some players that transferred to the Gophers. Now that might be a regular thing for coaches that “miss” on a recruit?
  • C) They want to play at or near their home? We have seen plenty of examples on the Gophers.
  • D) They want to play, not be on a bench. Team needs to convince them that there is a definite need and that they will be playing. This desire could also cause a player to move from Power 5 to another “lower” power conference.
  • E) The player wants to play in a Power 5 conference like the B1G (moving from a “lower” power conference. Now the recruiting team needs to be convinced that the skills will play at that level (and likely convince transfer players that they will meaningful game time).

• I suspect others will think of other factors, etc. I just wanted to start the conversation.

Question 1 is easy: The portal deadline is May 1st for fall and winter sports

We also have to remember that the grad transfer rule with immediate eligibility is sort of a separate issue. kinda, sorta

Another thought about timing of the whole process. Is it sort of like free agency? Some players wait to commit until they see where others have gone (or left)? So suddenly there could be a flurry of activity in mid-April?

And the process has been supercharged by the extra pandemic year.

Coaching tenure could include assistant coaches and recruiting done while with another program. I believe that's one of the reasons Deja Winters came here. She was recruited by Carly Thibault when Carly was at Eastern Michigan.

Here's another question: Who pays for the visits of prospective transfers to the prospective colleges/universities. This has to be paid by the player, right? If so, I can't imagine that a lot of these transfers would have the funds to do multiple visits. Or are coaches allowed to visit the player that's in the portal.

I'm all for the grad transfer rule. But with the other stuff, I think it certainly needs some adjusting. In my opinion, the system previously favored coaches who could leave programs and go to other programs while the players they left behind were not able to do that without sitting out a year. But now the pendulum has swung the other way to the point I think it now favors the players. It puts an awful lot of pressure on coaches to know that if they don't cater to a player or if they don't play a player, they could easily lose that player and have to scramble to fill a void left by that player. I'm okay with one undergrad transfer without a penalty, but I think players should be penalized for a second undergrad transfer. (i.e.--Taylor Mikesell). There's got to be some onus on the players to make a decision to stay somewhere. And also, I don't like the idea of having players in a program for 6 or 7 years. (No offense, Ali Patberg or Eric Curry). I realize that those exceptions are due to Covid, but I also think that it can stunt the grow of some programs and some younger players. If we keep going the way we're going with that, we may someday have a father/son or mother/daughter combo playing for the same college team. (Sarcasm.) Either way, I hope they clean everything up soon. I don't like it the way it is now. Can you tell?

When players enter the portal they can choose "do not contact". Choosing "do not contact" may mean that they are interested in one school or a limited number of schools and want to control the recruiting.

Otherwise, If the player supplies contact information, they can be contacted and recruited by any school. And, yes, the schools need to budget for portal recruiting. The good news is that you have a decent idea what a transferring college sophomore can bring to your team. The portal may be better at finding players than the current system of recruiting middle schoolers but who knows?

We also have to remember that the grad transfer rule with immediate eligibility is sort of a separate issue. kinda, sorta
I have no trouble with a student, who has completed a degree, transferring as a graduate student to play a sport. After four or five years, a student would like a new experience and probably should have one.

As an academic, I cringe when I see someone transfer and enroll in a Masters in Basketweaving program. However, some do enroll in a program that is a logical progression in their career. I know that the issue of academics vs. sports is a futile discussion.

As I understand the rule, you get one "free" transfer - i.e. 1 transfer with immediate eligibility.

But, if a player wants to transfer a second time, they have to sit out a year - OR apply for the always-confusing NCAA waiver process.

according to the NCAA website:
In order to compete immediately after a second transfer, a student must meet either the current education-impacting disability guideline or an updated guideline that addresses a “real and imminent health and safety” threat.

my change would be to eliminate Waivers. one free transfer and that's it. "I want to play close to home" or the "sick grandmother" claim has been abused IMHO.

when all athletes who received the extra Covid year of eligibility work through the system, I do think that things will settle down.

As of today (April 20) Raoul listed 1147 from D1 schools in the transfer portal. The B1G had 13 transfer in, 45 transfer out. Northwestern had none in or out (NU wasn't listed). IL 2-6, IN 3-2, IA 0-2 MD 3-5, Mich 1-1, MSU 1-1, MN 1-7, NE 0-3, OSU 1-3, PSU 0-4, Purdue 0-7, Rutgers 0-3, WI 1-1.

I read an article saying the first thing some transfers ask is what can you do for my NIL! This brings us to collectives that are a whole new ball game! These are made up of Boosters or company's that can pay players any amount for various reasons like signing autographs for fans. I think this will get out of control before colleges do anything about it and yes the rich get richer!

Is a coach permitted to ask questions of a coach of the player transferring out? Or is it more like the working world when you call a former employer and get "no comment." Are there rules? Or could the coach of the former player call one of their coaching "buddies" to say, she didn't work out here, but she could help you?
Just a random (and perhaps ignorant) thought on the process.

I just saw something about this yesterday. Coaches can call and ask questions of the former coach of a player in the portal. However, it can get dicey. If a player doesn’t get an offer, they may think that it is because of something the coach said, rather than if the school just decided they were not interested because of other factors. Or a coach may just really want to do a player gone for one reason or another, and may not be truthful about some factors. Also, coaches that are friends / familiar with each other’s styles sometimes do call and say, “I have a player leading and I think she would fit with your style / team.” I don’t know how often it happens, but I do know personally that it has happened.

If I understand correctly, the deadline for deciding to transfer out is tomorrow (May 1). I thought I read in the local press that joining a new team can be as late as this fall (although that may put the player behind in practicing with the team, etc.). However, I would think the players would want (need) to enroll in summer sessions, so end of May could be a "soft" deadline?

If I understand correctly, the deadline for deciding to transfer out is tomorrow (May 1). I thought I read in the local press that joining a new team can be as late as this fall (although that may put the player behind in practicing with the team, etc.). However, I would think the players would want (need) to enroll in summer sessions, so end of May could be a "soft" deadline?
This is correct, gotta be in the portal by tommorrow for the one time transfer otherwise you'll need a waiver and who knows what the ncaa will do with that. The summer is arguably the most important time for these kids to get better so theyll be on campus when that rolls around. The next few weeks is gonna be hectic for these transfers trying to find a spot. Could be wrong but I believe the U starts summer classes June 6th so everyone on the team will be here by then.

This is correct, gotta be in the portal by tommorrow for the one time transfer otherwise you'll need a waiver and who knows what the ncaa will do with that. The summer is arguably the most important time for these kids to get better so theyll be on campus when that rolls around. The next few weeks is gonna be hectic for these transfers trying to find a spot. Could be wrong but I believe the U starts summer classes June 6th so everyone on the team will be here by then.
That makes sense to me.

Thanks for explaining this. :)

I think this explains it well the only things I would add are
1. graduate transfers can enter the portal anytime before the next school season. For example, Charlie Daniels of the men's team left his previous school as a graduate transfer last June 15 before choosing the gophers and enrolling.

2. if there is a reason to enter the portal that requires a waiver. I believe this can also happen at anytime provided the waiver is subsequently approved, so the player can play immediately at the next school.

I think it is safe to assume that this person knows more about the topic than most folks. Seems the deadline to sign with a new team is only 12 days away rather than at the end of the month as earlier thought.

https://t.co/ICgHp7ncdC

I think it is safe to assume that this person knows more about the topic than most folks. Seems the deadline to sign with a new team is only 12 days away rather than at the end of the month as earlier thought.

https://t.co/ICgHp7ncdC

I believe that's the NLI deadline for this years high school seniors enrolling this fall. The portal is different.

As of today, 1239 in transfer portal, 546 at a new team. Power 5 have 143 in, 262 out. B1G has 26 in and 56 out.
Listing IN-OUT: IL 3-6, IN 3-2, IA 1-2, MD 5-5 MI 1-2, MSU 2-1, MN 2-7, NE 1-4, NU 0-1, OSU 2-3, PSU 2-4, Purdue 1-8 (1 reversed to stay), Rutgers 2-8, WI 1-1

I sense frustration which is understandable. I agree the portal seems like an easy way out for the athlete when things aren't going their way, but on the flip side the athlete should have an opportunity to leave if they aren't happy. I mean really do you want an athlete on the team if they are going to be disruptive and unhappy. That's not good for team chemistry. I think coaches are just going to need to accept the fact it is what it is. Times they are a changin' for good, bad or indifferent.

Read into this what you want....

Really? Hasn't Gray-Miller been at like a half a dozen stops? :unsure:
Coaches transfer all the time (mostly based on who they know, versus what they know) and typically when things are not going well (not winning or culture issues)

NCAA transfer committee recommendations:

The NCAA's transformation committee on Thursday announced recommendations that would provide athletes with windows to enter the transfer portal each year, as well as changes to the current infractions process designed to result in faster outcomes.

The proposed transfer recommendations are "intended to stabilize the transfer environment," according to the NCAA's news release, and would require "additional accountability" for schools that receive transfer students. The NCAA did not immediately provide information as to what the specific transfer windows would be or how it would hold schools accountable on the receiving end.

The NCAA's transfer portal, which debuted in October 2018, doesn't have specific windows for movement. The only deadline is that players must notify schools that they are entering the portal by May 1 of each academic year.

In early May, Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, told ESPN his group would like to see two transfer windows for players to enter their names in the portal: one from the final Sunday in November until the early signing date in mid-December, and another from April 15 to May 1. Both windows would coincide with contact periods in recruiting. Players wouldn't be required to transfer, only to enter the portal during designated time periods

In addition to providing more guardrails for transfers, the transformation committee is also working to modernize the NCAA's lengthy infractions process. Leaders throughout college athletics have lamented what has traditionally been a painfully slow process that often punishes programs and coaches long after the offenders have moved on.

According to the NCAA, the proposed changes would "promote time-efficient outcomes," use a more modernized set of principles and rules, and hold accountable "those who are directly involved in the rule-breaking while minimizing impact on student-athletes who were not involved." Some of the changes to the process would include "incentivizing cooperation of all parties, additional investigative tools and more flexibility within confidentiality rules."

The transformation committee is co-chaired by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Ohio athletic director Julie Cromer.

"College sports continues to face many challenges, and we need to move quickly to update our rules and make infractions more efficient so we can focus our attention on Division I membership expectations and, most importantly, benefits for student-athletes," board chair and Georgia president Jere Morehead said in a prepared statement.

The board will review the recommendations at its June 30 meeting. If it supports them, it will send them to the Division I Council for feedback during that group's July 20 meeting. The board could vote to approve the recommendations Aug. 3.

I sense frustration which is understandable. I agree the portal seems like an easy way out for the athlete when things aren't going their way, but on the flip side the athlete should have an opportunity to leave if they aren't happy. I mean really do you want an athlete on the team if they are going to be disruptive and unhappy. That's not good for team chemistry. I think coaches are just going to need to accept the fact it is what it is. Times they are a changin' for good, bad or indifferent.
No doubt things have changed. Overall, I'm glad athletes have more options. I am concerned about the academic side of this equation and wonder if less students will ultimately complete their degrees as we know the majority will never make a living playing professional sports.

Top Bottom