Poll: Who would you like to join the Big Ten

Who would you like to see as a 12th BT team?

• Missouri

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Iowa State

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Syracuse

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Pittsburgh

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Rutgers

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Connecticut

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Texas (yeah right)

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see people's opinions of who they would like to see in the conference. Personally, I would like it to be Mizzou. This is a purely homer choice for me for a couple of reasons:
1) It would be a lot easier for me to travel to Columbia than to East Piskatawick (sp?) New Jersey;
2) I think that the addition of a western school would result in a weaker west division that we will have a better chance of winning (assuming they split the conference into west and east);
3) I could see Minnesota and Mizzou developing a much greater rivalry than Minnesota versus an eastern school.

Anyway, who would you choose:

There are a few that would do nicely, but I'm saying ND. I dislike tearing apart conference affiliations, just a personal thing, and so ND would minimize that. Plus they're darn near playing half a B10 schedule anyway. Location's right, oh for Pete's sake, you all know about ND.

There are a few that would do nicely, but I'm saying ND. I dislike tearing apart conference affiliations, just a personal thing, and so ND would minimize that. Plus they're darn near playing half a B10 schedule anyway. Location's right, oh for Pete's sake, you all know about ND.

I agree, everyone knows ND would be the most natural fit. I voted for Nebraska though, because the Big10 has already offered ND and they turned it down. Unless something changes on their end, it just isn't going to happen. Of the remaining teams on the list, Nebraska fits in terms of size, facilities, tradition, and geography. They would bring the conference up rather than just add to it, which would be the case with most of the other choices.

Why not do the poll without Notre Dame? The Texas "yeah right" also applies to the Domers.

I'd be surprised if the Big Ten made any expansion decisions for quite some time.

I'll post a follow-up poll tomorrow as a run-off ballot for #2 (assuming ND holds onto its sizable lead) and then #3 the next day. Then we'll have an official GopherHole top 3.

-GGR

The division splits if you add a 12th team are terrible. A more natural fit would be to add three teams two in the west (ISU and MO?) and one in the east (Pitt?). You could the have a west division of MO, IA, ISU, MN, WI, NU AND IL. The east would then be IN, PU, MI, MSU, OSU, Pitt and PSU.

I'm with lakesbison...North Dakota State University...The Big Ten needs a new doormat!

My vote is Iowa State. I mean, if we can't beat the Cyclones in foot..... uhm, never mind.

The division splits if you add a 12th team are terrible. A more natural fit would be to add three teams two in the west (ISU and MO?) and one in the east (Pitt?). You could the have a west division of MO, IA, ISU, MN, WI, NU AND IL. The east would then be IN, PU, MI, MSU, OSU, Pitt and PSU.

That's a hilarious split.
I'm sure the football folks in Hoosierland would say, "Geez, thanks for the S#!t sandwich!":eek:

Even tho unlikely, I voted ND as well. I wouldn't mind mind Iowa State, Missouri or Nebraska, but I really don't think the conference should expand east anymore. I know some people will argue that we could get the New York market with Syracuse or Rutgers, but while we're at it, why don't we just expand to Oregon too?

Even tho unlikely, I voted ND as well. I wouldn't mind mind Iowa State, Missouri or Nebraska, but I really don't think the conference should expand east anymore. I know some people will argue that we could get the New York market with Syracuse or Rutgers, but while we're at it, why don't we just expand to Oregon too?

Huh?

Rutgers is in a state that borders an existing Big Ten state. Oregon is a full three (large) states away from the nearest Big Ten schools.

Maybe don't try using such hyperbole next time. K thanks.

Let's get Washington in before Oregon. The games at Husky stadium would be something to see, traveling is easier with Sea-Tac only 20 minutes away, it's a 3 day train ride (everyone should do it once), and I only live 30 minutes away :D

Augsburg. It's obvious from the street brawl last fall that these two teams just don't like each other.

Top Bottom