Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Poll: Who is your Gophers MVP in dominating win over Rhode Island?🏝️

Drake Lindsey.

When the other team never runs an actual play on your half of the 50 the unit deserves the MVP. Brosmer easy second choice for great game.
This. It’s not taking anything away from Brosmer’s good (very good/great?) performance to say the D was far and away the MVP today.

When the other team never runs an actual play on your half of the 50 the unit deserves the MVP. Brosmer easy second choice for great game.
Brosmer was the defensive MVP, making him both game and defensive MVP. The defense played supurbly 20 minutes, mainly because Brosmer controlled the game for 40 minutes.

Brosmer was the defensive MVP, making him both game and defensive MVP. The defense played supurbly 20 minutes, mainly because Brosmer controlled the game for 40 minutes.

You nailed it. This post is so, so, so spot on.

Check out the time of possession in this game. Once again, 'keep away' wins the day.

The Gopher offense doesn't need Patrick Mahomes at QB; the Gopher offense simply needs a competent trigger man. Today, Brosmer was the prototypical/ideal FleckBall QB: decisive, accurate, and he got the ball out on time. His throws were hitting his receivers in the belly, in stride... rather than breaking their ankles or sailing over their heads.

FleckBall isn't about "RUTM", contrary to popular opinion. Fleckball is about controlling the ball. Keep the ball, rack up first down after first down, grind the clock, let the opponent's offense languish on the sidelines.

Brosmer seems to have grasped the concept to a degree that last year's starter could not.

Last edited:

Poll: Who is your Gophers MVP in dominating win over Rhode Island?🏝️
The MVP is the person who scheduled this weak FCS cupcake. Everybody is pumped about the dominance of the Gophers. Get real. As one of my old coaches would say “ you don’t learn how to kill polar bears by clubbing baby seals”. There are still a lot of Polar bears on the Gophers schedule. Win is always good for morale, but is a positive only if you put it in perspective.

The excitement stems from how we clubbed the baby seals and the fact we kept clubbing them for 60 minutes with our new discovery and utilization of the forward pass!

You nailed it. This post is so, so, so spot on.

Check out the time of possession in this game. Once again, 'keep away' wins the day.

The Gopher offense doesn't need Patrick Mahomes at QB; the Gopher offense simply needs a competent trigger man. Today, Brosmer was the prototypical/ideal FleckBall QB: decisive, accurate, and he got the ball out on time. His throws were hitting his receivers in the belly, in stride... rather than breaking their ankles or sailing over their heads.

FleckBall isn't about "RUTM", contrary to popular opinion. Fleckball is about controlling the ball. Keep the ball, rack up first down after first down, grind the clock, let the opponent's offense languish on the sidelines.

Brosmer seems to have grasped the concept to a deIgree that last year's starter could not.
It's not really that Brosmer has grasped the offense, he brought it with him. He has been running that for his whole career. This is not a new or innovative offensive scheme. Been around for years.

Let's take comfort and confidence in the fact Fleck and Harbaugh did not bring Brosmer in to adapt to our recent offensive schemes. They brought him in to adapt the entire offense to his skills. That's smart.

And this style does nothing to diminish the base concept of running the footall successfully. In fact it enhances the running game by forcing a good defense to play honestly and defend both pass and run on almost every play.

The fact our running game has seemed less productive so far is all in the relatively poor (by our standards) play of the offensive line. I think that will improve.

It's not really that Brosmer has grasped the offense, he brought it with him. He has been running that for his whole career. This is not a new or innovative offensive scheme. Been around for years.

Let's take comfort and confidence in the fact Fleck and Harbaugh did not bring Brosmer in to adapt to our recent offensive schemes. They brought him in to adapt the entire offense to his skills. That's smart.

And this style does nothing to diminish the base concept of running the footall successfully. In fact it enhances the running game by forcing a good defense to play honestly and defend both pass and run on almost every play.

The fact our running game has seemed less productive so far is all in the relatively poor (by our standards) play of the offensive line. I think that will improve.

Did you read somewhere that Brosmer was brought in specifically to change/adapt the entire Gopher offensive scheme, to fit his (Brosmer's) skills? I haven't heard or read that.

Last edited:

The MVP is the person who scheduled this weak FCS cupcake. Everybody is pumped about the dominance of the Gophers. Get real. As one of my old coaches would say “ you don’t learn how to kill polar bears by clubbing baby seals”. There are still a lot of Polar bears on the Gophers schedule. Win is always good for morale, but is a positive only if you put it in perspective.
Get real. Nobody is delusional about dominating Rhode Island. People are glad to see the offense open up and see a lot of players getting field time. Fleck could have turtled, ran his usual conservative offense, played starters until the end and won 21-3.

Did you read somewhere that Brosmer was brought in specifically to change/adapt the entire Gopher offensive scheme, to fit his (Brosmer's) skills? I haven't heard or read that.
Nary a word. It is my personal observation.

Nary a word. It is my personal observation.

It's an interesting theory, but I have my doubts that any coaching staff would completely change their team's entire offense to custom fit one player — especially a player who can only play one more season.

It's an interesting theory, but I have my doubts that any coaching staff would completely change their team's entire offense to custom fit one player — especially a player who can only play one more season.
Assuming they recruited Lindsey to hand off? Think I read he threw 54 TDs in high school career vs. three interceptions.

Also, I think we will realize as the season goes on this version of the offense does not completely change the team's offensive philosophy. It is designed to open up running lanes with the ever-present possibility of the pass. A lot tougher to defend specifically to stop the run.

Assuming they recruited Lindsey to hand off? Think I read he threw 54 TDs in high school career vs. three interceptions.

I think the notion that Fleck wants to hand the ball to the backs every play is inaccurate. I think Fleck's idea of a model offense is the 2019 Gophers. That team had 560 rushing attempts and 323 passing attempts. Since Morgan left that has become problematic.

That being said, Fleck has mentioned the idea that he'd like to see short passes sometimes used as de facto running plays. I think we've seen a bit of that already this season. So far it has been pretty effective.

I don't know if the Gopher coaches would agree with me, but I'm a lot more comfortable running those type of plays with Brosmer at QB than I would have been with Kaliakmanis.

Also, I think we will realize as the season goes on this version of the offense does not completely change the team's offensive philosophy. It is designed to open up running lanes with the ever-present possibility of the pass. A lot tougher to defend specifically to stop the run.

I see what you're saying. There can be no doubt that changes/adjustments were needed.

I like interesting picks but imo it has to be BROSMER.

If the WRs could catch better he would have had 300+ yards.

I think the notion that Fleck wants to hand the ball to the backs every play is inaccurate. I think Fleck's idea of a model offense is the 2019 Gophers. That team had 560 rushing attempts and 323 passing attempts. Since Morgan left that has become problematic.

That being said, Fleck has mentioned the idea that he'd like to see short passes sometimes used as de facto running plays. I think we've seen a bit of that already this season. So far it has been pretty effective.

I don't know if the Gopher coaches would agree with me, but I'm a lot more comfortable running those type of plays with Brosmer at QB than I would have been with Kaliakmanis.
Even late last season play calls for AK were predominantly short passes… AK still couldn’t pull the trigger fast enough.

Max was hitting dudes on short passes, even second options with speed and accuracy.

AK had a good 3 + wins he could have had if he could do that.

Top Bottom