Poll: What grade would you give Gophers coaching staff in loss to Illini?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • C

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • D

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • F

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I gave a D. I think it was more on the players not being good enough. But that is on Fleck since he recruited them.

Defense C-. Offense D- (not F because of Mo’s 8.5 yard rushing average).

Morgan’s limitations on display today. The ramifications of giving him a sixth-year coming home to roost. He’s a mediocre quarterback. Does not have the arm strength to make throws and gets rattled under pressure. I know he’s a great kid. But he’s simply not a really good quarterback unless everything is going perfectly with the running game. Bummer of a trip to Champaign 😟 Would also be nice if our receivers could actually catch!
Does Kirk C, realize that running backs are actually eligible to receive passes?

One thing that got me coming into this year, we let two GOOD rbs go to bring back two injury prone older and worse rbs.

I said what I said...

Go see a doctor immediately.
Are you asking me to get a reference for you? It all depends who I pick, are you going to pay for this psychiatrist with pull tabs, or...?

Was encouraged that the line played better in the run game than they did against Purdue
Was discouraged that the receivers still looked awful.
Was discouraged that the defense made mental errors and seemed to be dominated by the Illinois OL

Turns out we have a good defense not a great defense
Turns out we have a below average offense not an above average offense (my hope after crab was that we had a great defense and above average offense)

Need to get some more speed on field on offense. That Redding shows wheels on kick off returns. Get him on the field and get the ball in his hands. When are we going to start seeing some jet sweeps, and quick out routes to start abusing all of these blitzing linebackers and safeties, and 7 in the box looks? Some quick crosses to Tight ends faking the blocks out of that off set H back look?

Last edited:

Was encouraged that the line played better in the run game than they did against Purdue
Was discouraged that the receivers still looked awful.
Was discouraged that the defense made mental errors and seemed to be dominated by the Illinois OL

Turns out we have a good defense not a great defense
Turns out we have a below average offense not an above average offense (my hope after crab was that we had a great defense and above average offense)
1. Can't get open. 2. When the ball is in the air, go get it!! Maybe their blocking was good today? My high school coach was not very right, his favorite saying was, "if you are a receiver and can't block, you won't play for me!" Problem was we had guys who didn't block all that well and couldn't catch either. Maybe our receivers coach learned from him....

D. Pass blocking is downright terrible. On the other side of things....DeVito had nothing but time when he dropped back. Can't win when the lines are that overmatched. Then of course we say d-backs giving big cushions leading to easy 4th down conversions. I just couldn't figure that out.

Top Bottom