Poll: Should the ophers move on from Pitino after season

Should Pitino be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 130 82.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He'd recieve monthly payments, until he found a comparable job, then the payments would cease. I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough, even Norwood, to give a head coach that is unproven, that much guaranteed money if he were fired. Which is why the stipulation was put in his contract.

Generally, the buyout is negotiated when he is fired, so that he gets some portion of the amount (usually most of it) and then the monthly provision doesn't apply. Otherwise there's no motivation for any fired coach to take another job, as they are essentially coaching for free. Therefore, if the U wants to fire Pitino, it needs to come up with a significant portion of $7 million.

As frustrated as I've been with some of the things he's got some responsibility for (wasting scholarships, initial arrogance, at the very least appearing to be open to moving, stagnant offense) I still think he's got a ton of potential. The U has given him some on the job training. Don't want us to waste that training.

I don't think he should be fired, yet. My question is, in today's college athletics is there no way to fire a coach without paying the buyout? There's nothing that allows a school to fire a coach for just cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not yet. No one should be expected to turn around Minnesota in 3 years. Everyone coming here should get at least 4 years before getting the plug pulled on them.

No. But I would be very concerned if Murphy or maybe Gilbert decide to move on and hope they will be better off in a stable program. The core group needs to hang in there with or without the three screw offs and build with the three newbies coming in.

Generally, the buyout is negotiated when he is fired, so that he gets some portion of the amount (usually most of it) and then the monthly provision doesn't apply. Otherwise there's no motivation for any fired coach to take another job, as they are essentially coaching for free. Therefore, if the U wants to fire Pitino, it needs to come up with a significant portion of $7 million.

The motivation is in the language of the contract.

As a condition to receipt of any payment under Section 3.2.1, Coach
is required to mitigate the University’s obligations under this Section 3.2 by
making reasonable and diligent efforts (under the circumstances and
opportunities then prevailing) to obtain a comparable employment position (for
example, media commentator with a national broadcast or cable company,
professional basketball assistant or head coach, head men’s basketball coach of aDivision I team) as soon as practicable following termination of employment.

So basically if the U determined he wasn't "making reasonable and diligent efforts" to find a comparable job, the U could stop making payments.

In Tubby's buyout case, it was the lesser of $2,500,000 or half of his remaining base + supplementary salary. He still had over $10,000,000 left on his contract, so the $2,500,000 figure was what he got. He didn't have the stipulation that Richard does in his contract that payments would stop when he found a comparable job, so Tubby was entitled to the full ammount.

I don't think he should be fired, yet. My question is, in today's college athletics is there no way to fire a coach without paying the buyout? There's nothing that allows a school to fire a coach for just cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes he could be fired for cause if he violated the terms of his contract, but that could be a pretty slippery slope if he didn't have an obvious violation. If he was fired for cause, the U wouldn't be on the hook for anything.

The motivation is in the language of the contract.

As a condition to receipt of any payment under Section 3.2.1, Coach
is required to mitigate the University’s obligations under this Section 3.2 by
making reasonable and diligent efforts (under the circumstances and
opportunities then prevailing) to obtain a comparable employment position (for
example, media commentator with a national broadcast or cable company,
professional basketball assistant or head coach, head men’s basketball coach of aDivision I team) as soon as practicable following termination of employment.

So basically if the U determined he wasn't "making reasonable and diligent efforts" to find a comparable job, the U could stop making payments.

In Tubby's buyout case, it was the lesser of $2,500,000 or half of his remaining base + supplementary salary. He still had over $10,000,000 left on his contract, so the $2,500,000 figure was what he got. He didn't have the stipulation that Richard does in his contract that payments would stop when he found a comparable job, so Tubby was entitled to the full ammount.

Again, unless you can provide the details of his 2015 extension, you are reading his old contract and are flat out wrong.

I'll take a deep breath before answering. Aaaaand, exhale. Whew! Here goes.

Terminating Pitino would be insane. And not just because it would fly in the face of all the evidence: he can coach, recruit and handle the press. That, alone, makes it certifiable. But there's more: it would be the second time that we found a coach who, but for the unfolding of a dreadful bout of misfortune, had the team on track to be top-tier, and then when the bad fortune hit, we fired him.

Firing Tubby was a bad decision. But hiring Pitino was a great one - a decision so good that it makes the decision to fire Tubby palatable. If we fire Pitino, we're stuck with the stench of two bad decisions, and we won't likely get bailed out with another Pitino or Tubby.

If anyone can't recognize Pitino for the top-shelf talent he is, they're either blinded by indignity on behalf of Tubby (indignation is warranted, but don't let it blind you), or you're simply unable to assess coaching talent.

I'm not even thinking about a new coach until we have an Athletic Director.

Again, unless you can provide the details of his 2015 extension, you are reading his old contract and are flat out wrong.

Again, just because the reworked his contract doesn't mean they scrapped his entire original one. I already showed you the math using the 2013 language and it is in line with with what doogie said. The main points of his extension were to increase his supplemental compensation from 700k to $1.1 million and increase the buyout, if Richard were to take another job.

I'm still trying to figure out where you got the $200,000 figure you came up with earlier.

I'll take a deep breath before answering. Aaaaand, exhale. Whew! Here goes.

Terminating Pitino would be insane. And not just because it would fly in the face of all the evidence: he can coach, recruit and handle the press. That, alone, makes it certifiable. But there's more: it would be the second time that we found a coach who, but for the unfolding of a dreadful bout of misfortune, had the team on track to be top-tier, and then when the bad fortune hit, we fired him.

Firing Tubby was a bad decision. But hiring Pitino was a great one - a decision so good that it makes the decision to fire Tubby palatable. If we fire Pitino, we're stuck with the stench of two bad decisions, and we won't likely get bailed out with another Pitino or Tubby.

If anyone can't recognize Pitino for the top-shelf talent he is, they're either blinded by indignity on behalf of Tubby (indignation is warranted, but don't let it blind you), or you're simply unable to assess coaching talent.

You didn't mention alcohol this time. You okay?

He gets next year. But if he is as great as you say he would win 10 conference games by year 4. My firm represented 27 coaches who have won conference championships and they had one thing in common ; they built great defenses from day one. That led to winning no later than year three.. Top shelf , i am not seeing it and he was not hired here as the first choice. None of the top 25 programs would touch RP. He does have his best class next year but people should tread cautious as it is no where near top 25. Still, the U is in no position to attract a Archie Miller so give RP one more year to see if he can grind out 10 conference victories, play a meaningful non con. . play defense every possession every game and have dignified players who are tough enough mentally to abide by team rules. Please share with me why he is so obviously going to be great.

He gets next year. But if he is as great as you say he would win 10 conference games by year 4. My firm represented 27 coaches who have won conference championships and they had one thing in common ; they built great defenses from day one. That led to winning no later than year three.. Top shelf , i am not seeing it and he was not hired here as the first choice. None of the top 25 programs would touch RP. He does have his best class next year but people should tread cautious as it is no where near top 25. Still, the U is in no position to attract a Archie Miller so give RP one more year to see if he can grind out 10 conference victories, play a meaningful non con. . play defense every possession every game and have dignified players who are tough enough mentally to abide by team rules. Please share with me why he is so obviously going to be great.
Well it's top 20 right now, so I guess it's not near top 25

In reality it is right around 35. Talk to coaches, scouts and it just does not add up to what other schools have coming. If internet rankings are what you have go by the composite, not the high. I have had tickets here for 25 years and so want to see really good basketball.

It's going to be "really great" assuming we get at least Mason and McBrayer back because:

He has been coaching a team this year that has very often had 3 frosh, a soph and a senior on the floor and the senior generally doesn't start. The team has gone from abysmal on defense to pretty good. The team has gone from awful on the boards to decent. The offense is starting to look much better and McBrayer, Mason, Murphy and Dorsey have all been improving. They have been inside of 10 points in all but 4 or 5 games and have simply lacked the shooters to get past that. So in terms of young talent- I think he has it and he has more coming. As far as developing guys - I think guys have gotten better. I have seen a marked improvement in the last 3 -4 games even in senior Joey King's rebounding. He did not lose the team even when he lost 14 straight - even though all of the wise posters here predicted a string of blowouts after the dreadful Nebraska game.

Then he took a team with zero scholarship guards and had them competing in the midst of a scandal at Illinois.

No one could have predicted Mason or McBrayer doing what they did. Maybe he took a risk on Dorsey and that has cost dearly. If this situation is resolved and tow to three return- I think we have a really nice year coming next year. We will have a coach and players with something to prove, who I hope have a great offseason.

In reality it is right around 35. Talk to coaches, scouts and it just does not add up to what other schools have coming. If internet rankings are what you have go by the composite, not the high. I have had tickets here for 25 years and so want to see really good basketball.

247sports team rankings are based on composite rankings from many different recruiting sites. Like Bemidjigopher said, it sits at 20 right now. 4th in the conference.

Also, Amir Coffey was just selected to the Jordan Brand Classic game, which is right up there with the Mcdonalds All-American game in terms if talent.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Mason was and has been a great young man. He was vetted by the staffs of some schools who take character assessment to the highest level of seriousness. This does not make him a bad person. They lapsed in using good judgement when thinking about the team or rather not thinking of the team and the school. He has recruited others that had several issues. That is on him and he owned that. he gets next year to win and win clean.

He is lucky we have an interim AD. This team has been an embarrassment on and off the court.

Barring some further negative publicity/revelations, I think Pitino is back next year. But, he is going to be one of the most scrutinized coaches in the country next season.

Any off-the-court problems are going to be magnified in light of current events. Pitino needs the entire season to go smoothly, and the players need to act like choirboys.

There, there is the whole on-the-court situation. If the team makes the NCAA tournament, I think that puts Pitino in a much stronger position. If the Gophs go at least .500 in the B1G, more positive karma. But, if the team goes in the tank - (say 6-12 in the B1G, and loses a couple of non-conf games) - coupled with lots of empty seats at games, that could be enough for a new AD, or Goetz elevated to permanent status, to pull the plug and go for a re-set of the program.

Rest assured, Kaler, Goetz and the Regents are NOT happy about player sex videos hitting the front page of the paper. Any goodwill Pitino had built up is gone, and he has to start from scratch.

I voted no. I'm riding this bomb all the way down to Moscow.

My heart say get rid of him, but my head says he just cleaned the troublemakers out of the program.

I guess not having an AD may save him.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure a whole lot of people are saying he is great or going to be a great coach. I have no idea if he'll ever be a good coach.

No, not yet. No one should be expected to turn around Minnesota in 3 years. Everyone coming here should get at least 4 years before getting the plug pulled on them.

I voted no. But this program wasn't one that needed to be "turned around" when he was hired. We did need a guy who could take the next step, but remember we were coming of a NCAA tournament appearance (and win), and had some pieces returning.

It does need to be turned around now.

One more year to see if there is big improvement with "his guys" and the incoming class

I voted no. But this program wasn't one that needed to be "turned around" when he was hired. We did need a guy who could take the next step, but remember we were coming of a NCAA tournament appearance (and win), and had some pieces returning.

+1 for excellent summation of why fans are so frustrated with this program.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It reminds me of when Striker took over from the autopilot, and the plane immediately started going all over the place. He did end up landing it, though. And yes, I know it was only a movie, and a nonsensical one at that.

Top Bottom