Poll: Should the ophers move on from Pitino after season

Should Pitino be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 130 82.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Poll: Should the Gophers move on from Pitino after season

Very simple poll to gauge the fan base.

Anyone voting yes should write a post with how much of the $7 million buyout they will be donating

Sorry to everyone about the thread title. "ophers" should be "Gophers". My keyboard and GH have a very wonky interface.

I agree with this post. I have no confidence in him as a coach, but he is signed thru 2021 (nice job Norwood). We have to see what he will do with his recruiting class. Next year and then a new coach unless major improvements and no other players getting into trouble. This season has been more than an embarrassment. I am a long time season ticket holder and I have skipped games this year for the first time ever. The barn has not been fun this year.

I agree with this post. I have no confidence in him as a coach, but he is signed thru 2021 (nice job Norwood). We have to see what he will do with his recruiting class. Next year and then a new coach unless major improvements and no other players getting into trouble. This season has been more than an embarrassment. I am a long time season ticket holder and I have skipped games this year for the first time ever. The barn has not been fun this year.
Did you skip the Maryland game?

saying that you agree to this post which is a question that has two answers is an interesting premise. My feeling is Pitino can't follow these young men around during every minute of their free time. They are adults. The broke a rule(s) and now know the consequences. we hope that everyone learns and we move on.

saying that you agree to this post which is a question that has two answers is an interesting premise. My feeling is Pitino can't follow these young men around during every minute of their free time. They are adults. The broke a rule(s) and now know the consequences. we hope that everyone learns and we move on.

I deliberately went with a yes/no question. People love to explain their rationale but really this is just a yes/no question and speculation or feeling don't really matter. The question the U has is to fire Pitino or not. Nothing else matters.

No - Pitino should not be fired at the end of this season.

Anyone voting yes should write a post with how much of the $7 million buyout they will be donating

The $7 million buyout is not a lump sum payment. It would be paid out over the course of the term of the contract. Once Pitino got a comparable job (D1 Head Coach, D1 Assistant Coach, or Broadcaster) the payments would cease. So the buyout is not as bad as people think.

He has convinced me that he can coach and that his is learning to coach better. He adapted as the season went on and we saw improvement in the guys that wanted to learn. He has proven that he can recruit and I think he will be a good recruiter going forward if he can have a good year next year. Getting rid of him this year due to many, many reasons- would be insane. If next year looks anything like this year in terms of off court trouble or W/L record then he's probably toast. He needs to win 7 or more Big Ten games at a minimum next year. I think the team has a chance to go to the NCAAs. Make a big run the following year. If he succeeds over the next few years- I think there is a possibility he's in for the long term.

Do I think we should? No

Do I think we will? yes, this university athletic department has shown it's lack of direction for a very long time. Why would anyone expect them to apply any sort of plan in this situation?

I have a feeling Pitino already knows it too

The $7 million buyout is not a lump sum payment. It would be paid out over the course of the term of the contract. Once Pitino got a comparable job (D1 Head Coach, D1 Assistant Coach, or Broadcaster) the payments would cease. So the buyout is not as bad as people think.

I'm fully aware its not a lump sum payment. It is still $7 million

Can you please provide a link to the contract details that state if he receives another job down the road the U doesn't owe him anything? That would be the 1st I have heard of that for a college coach buyout.

I'm fully aware its not a lump sum payment. It is still $7 million

Can you please provide a link to the contract details that state if he receives another job down the road the U doesn't owe him anything? That would be the 1st I have heard of that for a college coach buyout.

3.2.2. As a condition to receipt of any payment under Section 3.2.1, Coach
is required to mitigate the University’s obligations under this Section 3.2 by
making reasonable and diligent efforts (under the circumstances and
opportunities then prevailing) to obtain a comparable employment position (for
example, media commentator with a national broadcast or cable company,
professional basketball assistant or head coach, head men’s basketball coach of aDivision I team) as soon as practicable following termination of employment.

3.2.3. If Coach is employed elsewhere post-termination in a comparable
employment position, then payments under Section 3.2.1 shall cease. The
University reserves the right to seek repayment of any Excess Termination Fee.Excess Termination Fee means the excess of Termination Fee actually paid over
the Termination Fee that would have been paid had payments under Section3.2.1 been made ratably from the date of Coach’s termination of employment
through the Term of Employment.

http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141

Do I think we should? No

Do I think we will? yes, this university athletic department has shown it's lack of direction for a very long time. Why would anyone expect them to apply any sort of plan in this situation?

I have a feeling Pitino already knows it too
I disagree, I think if Pitino he was toast, he wouldn't care and the guys would be suiting up, while I believe he came to the realization that it was best to sit them all down the rest of the year and it was his call, I think Goetz and possibly Kaler played a role in leading him in that direction. Saying he anticipated them to play means deep down he wants them on the court regardless and if he knew he was toast I think he would due whatever he wanted in the interim. If he a burns a bridge he can always lean on Dad or go help Billy D with the Thunder. However I think Pitino still wants to be here and believes he will be here next year and if Goetz or whoever isn't named fulltime AD until the summer, they're going to have a hell of a time finding a suitable group of candidates that late in the process. IMO Pitino's, Goetz and co. have done the best they can with the ****ty hand they were dealt here, as this board shows no matter the outcome there would be a pissed off contingent of the fan base

Keep him one more year. If it is in fact true on his 7 million buyout someone is a moron. He has never been highly sought by any meaningful power program. Sean Miller and Tony Bennett , two coaching superstars have buy outs less than half that. Bennett has turned down Texas, LSU and Indiana in his career.

This is a rock and hard place deal for Pitino. He has to suspend them for University PR reasons(Don't think he wasn't counseled). Yet, he wants to keep the players happy so he can keep building. If he was expecting to be fired, he wouldn't have handled the press conference so well.

Of course, if Goetz or Kaler release a "I have total confidence in Coach Pitino" statement, He is totally going to be fired.

This is a rock and hard place deal for Pitino. He has to suspend them for University PR reasons(Don't think he wasn't counseled). Yet, he wants to keep the players happy so he can keep building. If he was expecting to be fired, he wouldn't have handled the press conference so well.

Of course, if Goetz or Kaler release a "I have total confidence in Coach Pitino" statement, He is totally going to be fired.

It is useful to look at it from Pitino's perspective. Right now his career isn't going so well. The possibility of getting fired is an inherent part of coaching to start with, and I'm sure he's already contemplating it. Everything a coach does is, like it or not, part of the resume you'll take to your next interview, so it's hugely important to him how he handles this.

That's from 2013, he signed an extension in August of '15 where the $7 million buyout came from

The buyout isn't exactly $7,000,000. It is close to $7,000,000 according to Doogie. The contract extension kept Pitino's yearly base compensation ($500,000) the same and upped his yearly supplemental compensation to $1,100,000. When you do a contract extension, it doesn't mean you throw the entire original contract out. Under the original contract, if he is terminated without cause, he is entitled to 1/2 of his base compensation plus the entire remainder of his supplemental compensation. Let's do the math.

Base Compensation- $500,000/2 = $250,000 x 5 years remaining = $1,250,000
Supplemental Comp- $1,100,000 x 5 years remaining = $5,500,000

Total- $6,750,000 which is in line with what doogie was saying.

The buyout isn't exactly $7,000,000. It is close to $7,000,000 according to Doogie. The contract extension kept Pitino's yearly base compensation ($500,000) the same and upped his yearly supplemental compensation to $1,100,000. When you do a contract extension, it doesn't mean you throw the entire original contract out. Under the original contract, if he is terminated without cause, he is entitled to 1/2 of his base compensation plus the entire remainder of his supplemental compensation. Let's do the math.

Base Compensation- $500,000/2 = $250,000 x 5 years remaining = $1,250,000
Supplemental Comp- $1,100,000 x 5 years remaining = $5,500,000

Total- $6,750,000 which is in line with what doogie was saying.

Ok? And why do you think he is owed none of that ~$7 million if he gets another job next year?

Ok? And why do you think he is owed none of that ~$7 million if he gets another job next year?

3.2.3. If Coach is employed elsewhere post-termination in a comparable employment position, then payments under Section 3.2.1 shall cease.

He'd recieve monthly payments, until he found a comparable job, then the payments would cease. I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough, even Norwood, to give a head coach that is unproven, that much guaranteed money if he were fired. Which is why the stipulation was put in his contract.

He'd recieve monthly payments, until he found a comparable job, then the payments would cease. I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough, even Norwood, to give a head coach that is unproven, that much guaranteed money if he were fired. Which is why the stipulation was put in his contract.

Right, in 2013 when he had little to no leverage, w/ a measly $200,000 buyout. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding about him signing a new contract in 2015.

Right, in 2013 when he had little to no leverage, w/ a measly $200,000 buyout. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding about him signing a new contract in 2015.

Nowhere in his original contract did it say his buyout was $200,000. His buyout under his original contract was 1/2 of his remaing base salary of plus all of his supplemental compensation. His contract extension in 2015 kept his base salary the same and increased his supplemental compensation from $700,000 to $1,100,000 per year.

It is useful to look at it from Pitino's perspective. Right now his career isn't going so well. The possibility of getting fired is an inherent part of coaching to start with, and I'm sure he's already contemplating it. Everything a coach does is, like it or not, part of the resume you'll take to your next interview, so it's hugely important to him how he handles this.
Great post - but looking at it from someone else perspective is generally not a forte here - usually its a place for people to share the opinions that the real people in their lives are tired of hearing.

Watching how he rebounds from this will tell us a lot about who he is. I personally was impressed by his ability to bring the team back this year. And I was impressed by the first half of the Illinois game.

Now, for those of you who think he will have a team of kids who NEVER do dumb things, well, I can't begin to tell you how unrealistic that is.

He's not going to be fired. To good of a recruiting class coming in. He has 1 year to prove himself.

Top Bottom