Poll: Right or Wrong to Fire Brewster? Now or at end of season?

Should Brewster have been fired? Was the timing right?

• Yes, I think Brewster should have been fired and the timing is just fine

Votes: 89 73.6%
  • Yes, I think Brewster should have been fired but I would have waited

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • I'm not sure if Brewster should have been fired -- I'd wait until end of season & decide then

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I think Brewster deserved another season -- need five years to evaluate

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I have no opinion because my head hurts

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
While I think I know how this will turn out, let's see what the actual vote is:

I would have voted "Should have been fired earlier" but settled for 'now.'

There's a choice missing that I would have pursued, which would have been announce in the next week or so that he was done at the end of the year and then let him finish out the year. I would guess Brewster may have been offered that, but chose to leave now instead. Either way, he was out at the end of the season.

At least work now starts in earnest to get a new coach and hopefully someone who can bring the program back to a higher level than when Brewster got it.

Now is okay

I told Mrs. Billd after NIU that he was fired then but could win his job back. No such luck for Coach Brew and we have today.

I believe a large chunk of season ticket holders were seriously considering dropping their seats...including suites...if Brewster stayed on.

Maturi and the President knew this was in play. They had to take action after yesterday.

Now, the majority of these folks will at least wait and see who comes out of the coach search before pulling the trigger on not renewing.

With some luck, maybe the kids and remaining staff put it together and we see some better football...at least in TCF. A "W" seems far off this year but who knows.

Go Gophers! Beat the Lions!

Why do people want to be so fair.

Why put the one before the many!? This franchise does not belong to Mr. Brewster. It belongs to the University of Minnesota, the alumni, the students, and the people of Minnesota. It does not belong to the hired staff. They need to be committed to the program, but they do so as the hired guns. Those who think another year would be more fair, have not looked at the fundamentals of money. The golden rule is he who holds the gold, makes the rules. Another losing season is not progress. It is regress.

Sorry, Buck. The software requires you first write the post and then design the poll. You caught the thread in the 2-3 minutes after the post was written and as I was finishing up the poll's questions.

For those who wanted another choice of "I'd have fired him before this season started" -- I thought about it but decided against it in order to focus on whether we would have done the same thing as Maturi in the here and now. But it's a valid criticism -- more so if I'd raised the poll back before the season began or maybe after the loss to South Dakota.

Marturi stated the #1 reason in my book. We can't have the team booed off the field at home. Change had to be made now. I originally thought before the Iowa game would be good, but I also thought they would have one against NW or PUR.

Marturi stated the #1 reason in my book. We can't have the team booed off the field at home. Change had to be made now. I originally thought before the Iowa game would be good, but I also thought they would have one against NW or PUR.

Marturi did it now instead of having a lame duck coach finish the season clinging to a small chance he can come back next season. That is the right way to do things, although it might seem harsh.

Illinois & Indiana need to do the same.

Yeah. You can't have those student-athletes out there listening to that cacophony of discontent, because all that Brewster booing would undoubtedly rub off on them and affect them and surely not in a positive manner. Now? There will be no booing even if we're losing or getting blown-out, because the call has been answered and now there's at least hope for better days ahead.

Top Bottom