Poll - Other than Tommy Olson, which recruit are you most excited about?

Other than Tommy Olson who is your favorite recruit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
I took the Top 10 (#10 used for "Other") as ranked by Rivals.

I know the home favorite is Tommy Olson, but come on folks, let's look at the others. My favorite: Steven Montgomery. Reminds me a lot of Trumain Brock who was a game changer.

The voting for a Sunday morning is fast and furious: Max Shortell goes out to the early lead. My man Montgomery has grabbed second. This will be close.

I picked Amaefula, but mostly because of what he might be able to do in the defensive scheme. They are looking for speed rushers, and he is that. I really hope that we will never have to see a season of 9 sacks again!

I picked Peter Westerhaus because he is a mn kid and wanted to play for his home state. Hopefully we can start a trend.

I wanted to vote for Crawford-Tufts...but he didn't make the list.

I voted for Campion because he is a home town kid near where I live. He has really put on some weight since high school, I think he could be a very, very solid guard for the Gophers some day. I would like to see Campion and Olson lining up side by side.

My choice - Q Gardener, a sleeper with great hands & toughness. If he had not missed five games, IMHO he would have been ranked higher than 3*. A great get for the Gophs!

My choice - Q Gardener, a sleeper with great hands & toughness. If he had not missed five games, IMHO he would have been ranked higher than 3*. A great get for the Gophs!

I picked the same I think he with be a tough slot receiver with sure hands who will help be a comfort blanket for our QBs

I picked the same I think he with be a tough slot receiver with sure hands who will help be a comfort blanket for our QBs

That's exactly what I was thinking Gopher Broke.

I also liked a story I read about him somewhere. He played at a school in TX that was absolutely loaded. They took 2nd in state for the largest schools in the state. He was one of their best WRs (along with a fellw SR who was recruited by everyone and ended up at OK ST and a JR who has already gotten a few Big 12 offers). Well, Gardener gets hurt kind of early in the season and he is forced to sit out a little bit. While he is hurt the aforementioned JR WR really started playing well and they got an injury to one of their DBs. According to their coach, they asked Quinton if he would play DB for the rest of the year. So a SR, who had been considered one of the top WRs in TX was asked to switch positions and he did it without one complaint and finshed the season playing DB and led Guyer to their 1st ever State Championship game.

I know that's kind of a cheesy story, but I think it says a lot for a kid in the end of his SR season, right in the midst of being recruited to play WR at the next level to be so selfless at that time.

There seemed to be a lot of talk about Montgomery being able to instantly contribute. I look forward to seeing how he progresses.

I first thought of voting for Campion because I had been hoping he would come to the Gophers two years ago and was holding out hope he'd follow through this year. He looks to be a solid guard prospect who could provide much needed help as early as this year.

Eventually I went with Montgomery because I so desperately am looking for a big play guy in the secondary and hope he's an impact guy that we need.

Voted for Shortell. Hope they Redshirt him this year, Backup to Gray next year and starter for three years after that.

Voted for Shortell. Hope they Redshirt him this year, Backup to Gray next year and starter for three years after that.

I'm excited about the possibilities and potential of all these recruits and hope and believe that as a group they will help lead us to better days ahead, but I picked Shortell too, because he's a QB, which to me is the 'biggest' position on a team. You have a great QB, and you can do a whole lot of things, and he can help lead you to heights that you otherwise might not be able to reach.

And I really like the look of that Shortell physically, tall, rangy, great size and with a big arm. And I also really love the fact that he stuck with us and honored his commitment despite getting offered by Michigan late. That to me speaks very well of the kid.

The more I read about Marcus Jones the more excited I am to see him.

Shortell was honorable mention all conference this past season and completed 53% of his passes.

New recruits don't give me a reason to be too optimistic. They have got too much to learn. Many of them have to get bigger, stronger, learn technique, learn how to handle the pressure of going to class, doing a good job with their academic responsibilities, learning to live away from home and even a little bit of socializing and being a college kid. Maybe in a few years, for most of them, they might start contributing. Once in a while, a kid is able to contribute right away. Not too often thugh. Adjusting to the college game AND to college life as a student athlete is quite a huge step for most 17, 18 and even 19 year old kids. Good luck to all of them!

Marcus Jones

Marcus Jones, hands down. Will play this year and be all over the field on offense, excellent speed and a game-changer, an instant impact.

Top Bottom