PLEASE READ: NEW GOPHERS TRADITION: Kickoff - SKI-U-MAH!!!

At Florida they only do the keys after they put up a good lead. Basically saying: Time to get my keys, this game's over!

Moved here and couldn't figure out why they would do it on the opening kickoff...

Count us (sec. 209) in. I'll get my brother (sec. 237) clued in too.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Sorry but I have to ask. I believe "Ski" is a Native American word for victory and "U" stands for The U but what does "MAH" stand for or mean? Thanks for the help.

Sorry but I have to ask. I believe "Ski" is a Native American word for victory and "U" stands for The U but what does "MAH" stand for or mean? Thanks for the help.

I always heard that the word sounded like "Ski-oo" and the Mah was added to make it rhyme with Rah, I thought I read that in the band's centennial book, but lately the story is that U-Mah was added to Ski, but who knows.

Back in the Cal Stoll era at Memorial everyone jingled their keys on a "key" play, like a crucial third down play, going for it on forth, trying to make a critical stop on defense, etc. The key was symbolic of the importance of the current play, made sense and everyone did it. When Gopher apathy set in during the Salem/Wacker era the kickoff may have been as close as we got to a key play the entire game. I think people just forgot why they were doing it and I think it just morphed into the kickoff thing. I just shake my head when I see it now as it makes no sense and must leave the visiting fans scratching their heads.

So when do you chant it? Like right after the ooooooooooooooooooooOooOooooOOOOO?

Yup! Ball should be mid flight yell it immediately after the ooooooooOOOO! SKI-U-MAH!! Let's make it happen!

Great to see this is getting going!

there is a pretty natural pause / breath right after the ball is kicked and the oooOoOoOOs have stopped. then we would yell. should be pretty easy for everbody to be in unison . . .

GO GOPHERS!!!!

This is a great idea....this needs to get rolling!!! They need to flash this on the scoreboard for the game - it can catch on fast

it will be awesome if we get a war drum beat going for this. 1-2-3-rest = Ski-U-Mah-Rest. over and OVER AND OVER building up the volume and intimidation factor! Ski-U-Mah needs to be our thing, love that the holers are making it happen. I will be screaming it at the tv in the bar!

SKI U MAH BOYS! WHOOOOOOOOOT

As soon as I hear it, I'll chant/yell it myself. Awesome grassroots plan, guys!

Never understood the key jingle thing, but all the students do it so it doesn't bother me.

Just yell louder. Actually better yet, find some students in the Rooter Club (and some band members) and get them on board with the cheer. They know all of the cheers and students who are unawares tend to watch what they do during the game since they are in the front row and seem to get with the program.

Once all the students do it, the vast majority will join in and we will have created a tradition that is absolutely our own.

Not sure I do either, but back in the day when I was a student, we'd jingle our keys for any 'key' play in the game (at least those of us that were lucky enough to have keys to something in our pockets). I like this Ski-U-Mah idea on kickoffs for sure. The old Indian war cry works well with the crazies that we send down to cover kicks.

I'm not going to say it out of general principle!....just kidding!....
Love this idea! I hope it catches on!

it will be awesome if we get a war drum beat going for this. 1-2-3-rest = Ski-U-Mah-Rest. over and OVER AND OVER building up the volume and intimidation factor! Ski-U-Mah needs to be our thing, love that the holers are making it happen. I will be screaming it at the tv in the bar!

SKI U MAH BOYS! WHOOOOOOOOOT

Including the war drum would help keep people together and add a little something....

I was going to games during Holtz/Gutey era.

Back in the Cal Stoll era at Memorial everyone jingled their keys on a "key" play, like a crucial third down play, going for it on forth, trying to make a critical stop on defense, etc. The key was symbolic of the importance of the current play, made sense and everyone did it. When Gopher apathy set in during the Salem/Wacker era the kickoff may have been as close as we got to a key play the entire game. I think people just forgot why they were doing it and I think it just morphed into the kickoff thing. I just shake my head when I see it now as it makes no sense and must leave the visiting fans scratching their heads.

The keys still came out on "key" plays. The apathy was getting pretty strong during Gutey's tenure. Few students were doing it at any time.

I could hear it from the front of 129. We had about 15 or 20 guys yelling it and a few others started to catch on.

It would be great if the cheerleaders would get three big signs that spell out "Ski" "U" Mah" that they would hold up to the student section. That would get the cheer going.

Definitley keep it up, if the students get into it, the rest will too since they are the main source of noise.

I like it and will try getting it going in 238 next week.

It would be nice if someone with an "in" could get something going on the scoreboard. That would make it obvious to everyone at the game what was trying to be accomplished.

Test this one out 5,5,3,3, Ski- U - Mah .Every section can do that with a fast clap rythym.

5 claps
5 claps
3 claps
3 claps

SKI-U-Mah

Test this one out 5,5,3,3, Ski- U - Mah .Every section can do that with a fast clap rythym.

5 claps
5 claps
3 claps
3 claps

SKI-U-Mah

Much to difficult, people wouldn't do it. Keep it simple, just Ski-U-Mah. The more you attempt to complicate things the less likely people will adopt it. Just have certain times when people yell Ski-U-Mah like on the kickoff and third down.

Got this idea from the Rodent Rampage's T-shirt idea:

Would the "OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH" followed by "Ski-U-Mah, Say it Loud, Say it Proud" work? Might reinforce people to do the cheer, or it could be entirely too long and take away from Ski-U-Mah.

So when does this happen rhythmically? Like right after the ball is being kicked?

I yell Ski-u-Mah after they kick the ball, but so far I'm the only one doing it where I sit.

Top Bottom