Please Explain Something.....

Reaction score
Didn't Norwood Teague just extend Tubby's contract less than a year ago? Now he fires him. If this is accurate, I don't understand why people aren't screaming about Teague's decision making. How is this any better than the decisions Maturi made with Monson and Mason? Are you giving Teague a "pass" for some reason? Am I missing something here? This really seems like mismanagement and a horrible misuse of athletic department dollars. I'm happy we're going to get a "fresh set of eyes" to coach the team, but what about this decision making? Is it negligent?

To all you haters out there, this isn't one of those questions to which I believe I already have the answer. Just the opposite. I'm well aware there are GH'ers out there with much better information than I have, better understanding of the situation, and better strategic thinking skills. I simply want to hear what you all have to say. Please fill me in.

Did they restructure his buyout when they made the extension?

I discussed this on another post, but from what I remember, Joel Maturi drug his feet on an extension that he had verbally agreed to and was not getting done in writing very quickly. I think that Woody felt bound to live up to the promises made by his office to do the extension.

I think they increased the buyout size and added a number of seasons to the contract. If I remember correctly, Teague took over at the end of June and the extension was signed about a month later. But was it one last shot from Maturi?

I discussed this on another post, but from what I remember, Joel Maturi drug his feet on an extension that he had verbally agreed to and was not getting done in writing very quickly. I think that Woody felt bound to live up to the promises made by his office to do the extension.

That makes sense. Also, now that I think about it, if the buyout didn't change, I suppose it doesn't make a difference does it?

Didn't Norwood Teague just extend Tubby's contract less than a year ago? Now he fires him. If this is accurate, I don't understand why people aren't screaming about Teague's decision making. How is this any better than the decisions Maturi made with Monson and Mason? Are you giving Teague a "pass" for some reason? Am I missing something here? This really seems like mismanagement and a horrible misuse of athletic department dollars. I'm happy we're going to get a "fresh set of eyes" to coach the team, but what about this decision making? Is it negligent?

To all you haters out there, this isn't one of those questions to which I believe I already have the answer. Just the opposite. I'm well aware there are GH'ers out there with much better information than I have, better understanding of the situation, and better strategic thinking skills. I simply want to hear what you all have to say. Please fill me in.

The specifics regarding the buyout costs and the impact of the extension can be found HERE. The key is that what the extension did is add about $900k of buyout costs. That's unfortunate.

What you should understand is that Maturi had Teague working on this with him BEFORE Teague even arrived at Minnesota. The pressure was mounting to get a deal done because the U unfortunately said long ago one would get done soon (i.e., Maturi over a year before an amendment was finalized).

Teague was put in a crap position and I will give him a pass for it. I think you need to look at Kahler and Maturi... and also consider the nonsense re: all the other contracts that were finalized/partially completed as Maturi was leaving office. Kahler in February said that no deals would be amended/extended until the new AD was in the Twin Cities - he wanted him to be part of it. That's apparently not what happened.

So, yes - it's a crappy situation. An extension wasn't needed, but the school and Tubby kept up the nonsense story of "we need it to recruit".. it would have continued to be an issue brought up every other day had Teague not completed the deal with Tubby.

It's unfortunate on the U's part, but I don't see Teague as being guilty of great mismanagement here.

I am under the impression Maturi extended Tubby's contract.

How come nobody ever talks about using an extension/buyout as a means to attract high quality coaching talent in the future? If you consider going to Minnesota, they have an AD that will make sure you and your family are taken care of.

The specifics regarding the buyout costs and the impact of the extension can be found HERE. The key is that what the extension did is add about $900k of buyout costs. That's unfortunate.

What you should understand is that Maturi had Teague working on this with him BEFORE Teague even arrived at Minnesota. The pressure was mounting to get a deal done because the U unfortunately said long ago one would get done soon (i.e., Maturi over a year before an amendment was finalized).

Teague was put in a crap position and I will give him a pass for it. I think you need to look at Kahler and Maturi... and also consider the nonsense re: all the other contracts that were finalized/partially completed as Maturi was leaving office. Kahler in February said that no deals would be amended/extended until the new AD was in the Twin Cities - he wanted him to be part of it. That's apparently not what happened.

So, yes - it's a crappy situation. An extension wasn't needed, but the school and Tubby kept up the nonsense story of "we need it to recruit".. it would have continued to be an issue brought up every other day had Teague not completed the deal with Tubby.

It's unfortunate on the U's part, but I don't see Teague as being guilty of great mismanagement here.

Most of Maturi's mistakes were caused by honest stupidity. The bold part was truly underhanded.

I cannot believe Maturi is still on the payroll.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for explaining this to me. Boy, the facts and nuances of this are important to get a good understanding.

How come nobody ever talks about using an extension/buyout as a means to attract high quality coaching talent in the future? If you consider going to Minnesota, they have an AD that will make sure you and your family are taken care of.

That makes good sense too. Thanks.

How come nobody ever talks about using an extension/buyout as a means to attract high quality coaching talent in the future? If you consider going to Minnesota, they HAD an AD that will make sure you and your family are taken care of.

FIFY

Extensions are part of the business. The only coach (anywhere) I remember who got close to term was Mason and that was because of Maturi's bumbling. Big time coaches will have big time buy-outs, it is what it is.

People should be angrier about paying 800 000 to get out of one game rather than 2.5 to get out of a contract. Personally, I am ok with both as it proves Teague has vision and strength. He will either succeed or fail but he will not bumble into oblivion.

So roughly the same cost to not play UNC in football?

1.6 million that could have been dedicated to a practice facility....down the drain

Top Bottom