Playmaker

SonoranGopher1

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love the team this year but if we want to be among the big ten elite teams, we need a playmaker. We have the defense, the qb, the rb's, but we need that one receiver where Phil can just throw up the ball and everyone in the crowd can look at the situation and feel confident that our guy will come down with the ball. I'm not talking about jones and company because to me they are more slot receiver, but we need the Eric decker of next year! Where is he?

There are a lot of young receivers on this team. Who knows what the future holds for Maxx, Wolitarsky, and Wozniak (I believe he's 6'9"). I would also include the 6'3" Jones, he's going to be more than a slot receiver.

The fact that you put a Tight End as your first response to our "Playmaker" only reiterates my original statement.....

Jones is just now learning how to play wide receiver, he's a true freshman, and he's probably our second best guy at that position right now. He's an explosive athlete, and I would be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be, as you say, a serious playmaker on a consistent basis. Wolitarsky as well is a true freshman. He's a big receiver who I fully expect to win many jump balls in the future. Maxx is already a playmaker at times. In the coming years, he could be a monster at TE. And then of course there's Cobb, who is also a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield. Not to mention the guys who we are redshirting and the solid TE recruits we have coming in.

The fact that you put a Tight End as your first response to our "Playmaker" only reiterates my original statement.....

Apparently you don't watch much NFL football. The TE is becoming as big of a weapon as the WR.

Early in the season there was a common opinion that the receiving corps were inadequate & the QBs couldn't throw. And, Limegrover wasn't very creative. We missed some wide open guys earlier, but now the passing game is clicking, the running game is brutalizing opponents, and Limegrover seems smarter than the guys on the other sideline. The offense looks pretty good. I don't need the "playmaker" you describe to be confident about our chances.

Maxx Williams is match up problem. He is bigger than any safety we will play, and he is faster, quicker, and cuts better than most linebacker. The one thing I have notice with the passing game, is the ability to throw the ball effectively in the middle of the field. And most importantly receivers willing to go in there.

Derrick Engel has proven this with 5 big ten Tds - his 20 yards per catch last year and almost 17 yards per catch is a big number. You throw in his Winona year 28 yards per catch that is a big time playmaker. I think the Texas Tech game and the huge Nebraska TD proves it.

Utecht
Spaeth
Tony Gonzalez
Shannon Sharpe
Antonio Gates
Rob Gronkowski
Dallas Clark
Vernon Davis
Kyle Rudoplh
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Jermichael Finley
Greg Olsen
etc etc etc

Horrible take....

When a team has a lot of different options for receivers, versus a single playmaker, more problems arise for pass defenses. We had a lot of guys do good things Saturday, while PSU's "playmaker" was pretty much kept in check. Give me quantity in numbers, not a single quality in one guy. It is comparable to beer...I'd rather have quantity in numbers than quality in one. But, I digress. :drink: :drink: :drink:

Williams is a huge match up problem. Too big for safeties and corners, too fast for most linebackers.

How many people would trade our receivers yesterday for Penn State's "playmaker"?

Williams is a huge match up problem. Too big for safeties and corners, too fast for most linebackers.

All of that became obvious on the TD at the end of the half yesterday. He was so open, even he had to be surprised.

I think that Donovahn Jones is slowly becoming that guy, he's new to the position though, so you have to give him some time, I expect big things out of him in the years to come.

As Mike Tice would say. "Enjoy the season." We have play makers and they have made them in 8 of 10 games. We have blocked kicks for TD's, returned kicks for TD's, scored TD's on 4th down plays, coverted at an elite level on 4th down, etc.

Jones is a play maker who will only get better with experience. Nelson is making plays. Imagine Edwards and Cobb as 1-2 punch next year. Edwards houses a few of the long runs we've had this year.

I see all kinds of plays on defense. We are putting corners on islands and having success.

Again, enjoy the season. It only has 3-4 games left.

Jones is just now learning how to play wide receiver, he's a true freshman, and he's probably our second best guy at that position right now. He's an explosive athlete, and I would be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be, as you say, a serious playmaker on a consistent basis. Wolitarsky as well is a true freshman. He's a big receiver who I fully expect to win many jump balls in the future. Maxx is already a playmaker at times. In the coming years, he could be a monster at TE. And then of course there's Cobb, who is also a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield. Not to mention the guys who we are redshirting and the solid TE recruits we have coming in.

This. All of this. Nicely done!

Edwards houses a few of the long runs we've had this year.

I've been thinking that the past three weeks as well. It's hard to know how good he actually is, and whether he'd even find those creases, but a guy with his speed is something we haven't seen for quite a while.

Top Bottom