Players who are benefiting from this year

husker70

Reaction score
You have to look no further than the red shirts and true freshman. Who could argue that Lamonte Edwards didn't benefit, he should be about 235 by the spring game. Devron Wright could he carry 225? These two could be true Big 10 backs. How about Gjere, who was the number 1 recruit. He also could be more ready with the added weight room time. Will Brooks Michel take advantage of the weight room time he has had? I will not miss Wills, Alford, or Carufel. How about Brendan Beal, how much better will the linebacking be with this beast in the middle. Zach Mottla is he the hier apparent to Burris?

There is potential in these and other Gophers who have yet to see the field. A new coach a new look.

Devron Wright could he carry 225?

He doesn't appear to have the biggest frame, so I doubt weighing 225 would benefit him much. If he can get up to 205 and not lose any speed or mobility we should be happy.

Will the Gophers be able to play both Tinsley and Beal next year?

Will the Gophers be able to play both Tinsley and Beal next year?

Depends on the defensive scheme, but I think Tinsley could play outside in the right formation. In fact, I think he'd be better served moving to the outside.

Depends on the defensive scheme, but I think Tinsley could play outside in the right formation. In fact, I think he'd be better served moving to the outside.

I may be misrembering (ala andy pettite) but I believe he made all those tackles against Iowa last year as the will.

I'm pretty excited to watch Beal play next year. He has pretty good closing speed for a LB of his size.

Brooks took a nasty shot to the head and had to withdraw from all of his classes this semester because his focus and understanding is off. I wish him the best.

Brooks took a nasty shot to the head and had to withdraw from all of his classes this semester because his focus and understanding is off. I wish him the best.

Link? First I've heard of this.

I disagree with the OP about not missing Wills. I don't concentrate on O line play, but have been impressed when I do watch him. Also, Ryan Orton did a really nice job when he came in for Carufel Saturday.

He redshirted LAST year and hasn't dressed for a few weeks now. My friend knows him.

Crappy news. He really needs time, even if it's not live time.

the gophers are going to have to go through some massive off season training to get in big ten shape for next year. I really think they look the most out of shape that they have in 10 years.

I disagree with the OP about not missing Wills. I don't concentrate on O line play, but have been impressed when I do watch him. Also, Ryan Orton did a really nice job when he came in for Carufel Saturday.

O line play is all I watch and I do have to say it has been not good for a midwest team.

we are however very good at the LOOKOUT block

He doesn't appear to have the biggest frame, so I doubt weighing 225 would benefit him much. If he can get up to 205 and not lose any speed or mobility we should be happy.

The biggest thing they need to do with all the players is work on the the squat. We need a better base, and explosion at almost every position. Proper weight training does not cause a loss of speed or mobility, it in fact is designed to improve quickness. And if the gain is lean muscle mass all the better.

Agree. Wills will be missed next year.

Our offensive line issues aren't as bad as some people have made them out to be. They were much worse last season...

We've had the second most pass attempts and I think the 4th fewest sacks. We've also run the ball a little bit better this season. We will miss Wills quite a bit.

There are a lot of guys who stepped up and played this year (partly because of so many of our injuries a on the line) but Wynn, Orton, and Bunders need to step up next season and play like Big 10 lineman, and I do think they have all looked better than they did in the past. This season has also probably been good for Olson as he was able to get a lot of PT.

It's also obviously been a productive season for McKnight and Lair as we know they are legitimate big 10 players for next season.

Defensively, Stoudermire finally found his real position, Jacobs has emerged as our only real DL, and Tinsley has looked decent. I think we will see more growth from a lot of our players than we expect. After the 1-11 season, a lot of us wondered if anyone got any better and it wa surprising to us the amount of people that did improve.

True on Brooks... he is getting better but a big concern for the future I feel. I think you will see the O-line change from having big guts and blubber (Davis likes them that way) to more thined down stronger O-line.

Orton is an outstanding player and will do well next year, Bunders the same. Wynn I think you could see him as a Gaurd and Orton will be a Tackle. Olson will be the other with Gjere as a backup to one or the other. Mottla will play center or guard and Epping will be behind him. You will see an athletic O-line to work with the spread and MG as QB. I think the current freshman need another year to get stronger and learn the new system.

I don't think anyone likes offensive lineman with big guts and blubber, but Davis does seem to like larger offensive lineman. I do expect our offensive line to still be pretty big next season (even without Wills).

Olson - 6'7" - 320 (guesses on weights for next season)
Gjere - 6'7" - 315
Michel - 6'7" - 325
Orton - 6'4" - 315
Wynn - 6'5" - 300
Bunders - 6'3" 325-330

etc.

The only guy leaving who is real big is Wills and he was our best offensive lineman (and one of our best players this year). Other than that all of the guys are pretty tall and big.

I agree they will still have the weight maybe not as much, but good weight and not the fat. However, you look at some successful lines and there guys are 285, 290 range and really athletic.

That could be, but I don't see what that has to do with Davis. There is really only one guy on our offensive line that I thought looked a bit soft and that was Wills. Under Davis, Wills went from a 400lbs player who was just a big body and he lost a ton of weight and became our best offensive lineman. The only other player that I would say looked a little soft was Bunders and Alford (and neither of them are Davis guys).

It seems like Davis likes big, tall lineman who go 320ish.

Top Bottom