Player break down, some thoughts on the game

NurumbiCongo

Reaction score
Tubby said after they game it was a bad match up for EE and Ralph because their big guys were quicker and could shoot from outside. Isn't that suppose to work both ways? Shouldn't we be able pound it down low and take advantage of seven footers? They were packing it in so tight that we couldn't get Trevor the ball. Sorry to say it but he really misses Colton. At least he freed up some space and demanded some attention with his physical play. Ralph floating around the perimeter is making it easy for teams to swarm the Beast inside. I want to get a better look at EE, but we may need to play Mo if he is healthy, even if it's for half a season.

Welch- Some bad decisions with the ball for 'vet' guard. Missed Joe on a two on one fast break, bad turnovers, hasn't looked like a shooting threat. Expecting improvement.

Ingram- Congrats on his first bucket, looks like he can play some good back up minutes.

Oto- Too nervous out there, want to see what he can do when he can calm down before the second half. Hit a beautiful arching three in the second half and played some decent defense.

Mav- Props to the kid for maturing after a difficult freshman year.

How about when we had this line up in- Mav, Joe, Andre, Oto & Ingram ? That was a combination I didn't think I would ever see in an actual game… and they played about as well as any group we had on the court.

Good thoughts, I agree. Oto's biggest problem is confidence right now. He needs to look for his shot more. I liked Mav's game last night. He worked hard, and played aggressively. We need more people who look for their shot. Chip's shot selection is sometimes suspect to say the least, but at least he's not afraid to try to create. I like our defense through two games, I think that'll be a strength.

I think Tubby needs to work on two things extensively in practice. The first is free throw shooting. If we were shooting free throws well, we'd be blowing out some of these teams. The second is feeding the post. There's no reason we shouldn't be getting the ball into the post whenever we want, and letting Trevor and Ralph dominate down low. Too many of our guys, including all three of our point guards look lost as to how to feed the post. Needs work. Other than that, I've liked what I've seen so far.

The second is feeding the post. There's no reason we shouldn't be getting the ball into the post whenever we want, and letting Trevor and Ralph dominate down low. Too many of our guys, including all three of our point guards look lost as to how to feed the post. Needs work. Other than that, I've liked what I've seen so far.

I agree, but you have to admit that SDSU was packing them in pretty tight, daring us to shoot over them. Plus, they were slamming Mbakwe every chance they got and getting away with it. There weren't many open passing lanes to the post.

It was only in the 2nd half when Mav started dribbling into the elbow successfully that the defense opened up and allowed some inside penetration. Neither Welch nor Dre Hollins was able to do this. Good on Mav.

I can live with Chip taking a bad shot from time to time as he is one of the few on the team that is ready and willing to shoot when they get the ball. I thought his stretch of good play and scoring at one point in the game was the boost the team needed against SDSU. If Chip can improve defensively, I think he will continue to see more floor time.

Chip's shot selection is sometimes suspect to say the least, but at least he's not afraid to try to create.
He got rolling before the half, it was fun to watch. However he also missed Trevor at least twice when he was open and has his man pinned/posted. Some fans around me were yelling "Give him the ball" and they were right. He can't miss Trevor when he's open, espically how rare that was. And how about Trevors new post moves and a little confidence in his shot? That is one quick spin that I don't recall from last year.

Rodney used to put up big numbers aginst teams like this, I don't know what is going on with this kid. For the most part they did their scouting and cut him off a few times when he tried to go baseline.

Ralph was just that, puke.

Oto - remember he is basically a freshman in his 2nd game. Give him some time and he will be solid. He can shoot it and is tall, a combination we haven't had for a while (Mike Bauer is maybe a good comp? Bauer was very skilled but in the end his strength was the mid to long range jumper for a big guy)

Welch - he had a bad game, but you can just tell he is a gamer. With more experience, he will be solid.

Mav - I want to believe the good play would be a trend, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Ralph - looked a bit lost, rather typical. He actually passed on a few jumpers I would have expected him to shoot, almost as if Tubby or someone was telling him not to shoot it.

Dre Hollins - looked okay, didn't get much run. Still have not turned him loose, which by the end of the year we should expect more production. He is a very good basketball player.

Ingram - can provide 5-7 minutes off the bench and not get us in too much trouble.

Oto - remember he is basically a freshman in his 2nd game. Give him some time and he will be solid. He can shoot it and is tall, a combination we haven't had for a while (Mike Bauer is maybe a good comp? Bauer was very skilled but in the end his strength was the mid to long range jumper for a big guy).

Was NEVER a big Bauer guy, but I think the other comments are on.

thoughts

I totally agree on both counts. Since Tubby has been here we have had one player who knows how to throw a pass into the post. Hoffarber! Nolen got his assists in the open court and when he drove to the basket. It is so disheartening when you think of our post players and the need to establish them.

I really like Oto and he has a few other skills besides shooting. I've noticed 6'3" guards on him and other players and we don't post them up. It's a pretty basic thing in basketball to find mismatches and exploit them. Thank you Tubby for easing off the ball line against Bucknell, the defense was vastly improved.

Good thoughts, I agree. Oto's biggest problem is confidence right now. He needs to look for his shot more. I liked Mav's game last night. He worked hard, and played aggressively. We need more people who look for their shot. Chip's shot selection is sometimes suspect to say the least, but at least he's not afraid to try to create. I like our defense through two games, I think that'll be a strength.

I think Tubby needs to work on two things extensively in practice. The first is free throw shooting. If we were shooting free throws well, we'd be blowing out some of these teams. The second is feeding the post. There's no reason we shouldn't be getting the ball into the post whenever we want, and letting Trevor and Ralph dominate down low. Too many of our guys, including all three of our point guards look lost as to how to feed the post. Needs work. Other than that, I've liked what I've seen so far.

Top Bottom