Play it again, Sam...Armelin starts

Reaction score
I couldn't find the old thread discussing Armelin's future at point guard. Actually, a new thread is warranted because I'm proposing playing point guard by committee. Hoff will bring the ball up the floor with screens from the bigs and Armelin will take over from there. The basis for my hunch...Armelin has racked up some assists and provides a driver to the basket from the top. I love the way the kid can finish at the basket. Hoff, Chip, Trevor, Ralph and Colton start. Rodney and Austin waiting their turn. Mav for a minute or two - here and there.

Armelin changes the offense with his ability to slash. He can get over aggressive at times, but I like that he attacks the basket and forces the defense to collapse, thus leaving the outher 4 guys with room. I'd like to see him play 20-25 mns a game, JMO.

He can get over aggressive at times, but...

What good basketball player doesn't? I sure wish Rodney would get over aggressive once in a while.

I saw on BTN, not sure what show, but the four analysts said over and over again (although adding that Tubby knows better than them) that MN's current lineup right now is "too big" (in their words a 6-4, probably 6-5 Hoffarber at PG, 6-7 at SG, plus Ralph Colton and Trevor) and they were adamant about someone else playing PG, namely they all raved about Chip and how he has 1 turnover in his last 34 minutes I believe, but that Mav, Hollins, or Chip need to play PG so Blake can get his shots.

I saw on BTN, not sure what show, but the four analysts said over and over again (although adding that Tubby knows better than them) that MN's current lineup right now is "too big" (in their words a 6-4, probably 6-5 Hoffarber at PG, 6-7 at SG, plus Ralph Colton and Trevor) and they were adamant about someone else playing PG, namely they all raved about Chip and how he has 1 turnover in his last 34 minutes I believe, but that Mav, Hollins, or Chip need to play PG so Blake can get his shots.

The analysts are just throwing crap out there. There is more to playing PG than not turning the ball over. I agree Hoffarber has to play SG to be effective. Who knows Armelin might be good at point, but nothing he has done on the court would indicate that one way or the other. I am sure they are trying everything in practice and will come out with the best combination.

Just because Chip may start, it doesn't even mean he will be playing a lot (or even halftime) point guard. I think the biggest reason to go smaller is not to get a new PG...it is to have to ability to play man to man defense. When all 3 bigs are starting, Ralph Simply isn't fast enough to stick with most SFs in the Big Ten.

I expect PG by committee with Hoff still getting a lot of time at the spot. I wish I could watch the game tomorrow.

The problem with Armelin is that he hasn't hit an outside shot since 2010. He's eratic and wild...I realize he's a decent athlete and has made a few buckets in transition, but I don't think he's done much in the half court offense. I think he's just a bit player tonight...I think Hollins and Maverick will play a bit more.

Top Bottom