Play-Action Pass

SPEGOPHER

Reaction score
One thing that has really frustrated, and perplexed me this year (and in years past), is the design of our play-action pass plays. When we did them yesterday, Rhoda would fake it to the opposite side of the way the RB was going. Not effective whatsoever in confusing Lbers and DBs. I can't recall one play where there seemed to be a real effort to fake a handoff. Maryland was selling out on the run, and I was really hoping to see us attempt to exploit that with a solid fake, then pass over the middle to Lingen, or take a shot with Still.

For a team that lacks the ability to get receivers and tight ends open on talent alone, this seems like an easy way to help. Especially when our run game is having some success like it was yesterday. Freezing the defense for a step or two makes a huge difference in getting separation.

Another observation that seems would be a beneficial way to help keep defenses honest and help our passing game get a little rhythm going is some quick bubble screens. In the 2nd half yesterday, Maryland's safety or lb kept creeping closer and closer to the LOS, as opposed to covering the slot receiver. It looked like a quick pitch and catch to TJ6 or (what I would hope for going forward) RS1 could go for a healthy gain and keep a defender out of the box.

It's pretty clear that we do not have the talent right now to beat defenses in the air on talent alone, so it would be really comforting to see our OC implement some simple looks to get people more open. Especially with these next three opponents. We should be able to experiment a little bit with some different looks.

Good points. For years the Gophers have not employed much deception. Mitch has gotten better in faking handoffs in QB keepers, but otherwise not much misdirection or good faking.

Pulling a guard seems to be the best way to sell a play action. I was not paying attention to if we were doing that or not.

I wasn't paying close enough attention to say for sure, but my guess is the RB goes the other way at times because he is responsible for a blitz pickup.

I also don't understand why we do play action on 3rd and long, I.e. 25. It is not fooling anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't paying close enough attention to say for sure, but my guess is the RB goes the other way at times because he is responsible for a blitz pickup.

Yeah, that's definitely what it looked like to me. Kind of defeats the purpose of play-action, though. Doesn't do any good to fake a hand off to air. I'd prefer to see a play where the RB picks up a blitz play side. Or at the very least, put the RB on one side of the QB so the fake takes the RB to block off the edge. Also lets the QB keep his eyes up the field.

Top Bottom