PJ's record at Minnesota compared to other Gopher coaches

In the last 2 full seasons, Fleck has given us our 2 best conference records since 1973.

Love PJ. Except when he read an article about himself to the team and made everybody clap.

He's energetic, always positive, and incredibly enthusiastic.

Very un-Minnesotan, if you ask me.
Way too flashy and forthright. He’s up to something and shouldn’t be trusted.

I'm a but skeptical about most things Val Martin. Can't picture PJ making kids clap.

Let me say this- I think one of Fleck's strong points is recognizing when changes have to be made.
replaced Robb Smith with Rossi. Replaced Sanford by bringing back Kirk C.

putting together a good staff is a part of coaching that doesn't get enough attention IMHO.
Fleck seems to be able to identify and hire quality assistant coaches, and also is willing to take action when a hire doesn't work out.

and that is very important for a coach who delegates a lot of responsibility to the coordinators. He's not calling plays for the offense or defense during games, so he needs to trust the people who are making those calls.

It was something Val Martin mentioned several times.
Yeah....you might want to consider your source there......Val Martin clearly has an axe to grind because he feels he didn't get enough playing time here.

I'm not sure the different eras are that similar though. Fleck has the advantage of playing in the Big West. Also, the out of conference games were often more competitive back in the day. I pulled up the Gopher 1965 schedule where they went a mediocre looking 5-4-1. They tied USC out in California and lost close games to Washington State and Missouri at home. They went 5-2 in conference beating Michigan and losing to OSU by 1and getting blown out by Purdue.

I'm not sure the different eras are that similar though. Fleck has the advantage of playing in the Big West. Also, the out of conference games were often more competitive back in the day. I pulled up the Gopher 1965 schedule where they went a mediocre looking 5-4-1. They tied USC out in California and lost close games to Washington State and Missouri at home. They went 5-2 in conference beating Michigan and losing to OSU by 1and getting blown out by Purdue.
Warmath, especially, had very tough schedules, conference and non-conference, but had an excellent conference record in the 60s.

Top Bottom