PJ with PA

The lessons learned from a team decimated with Covid last season that could have potentially cost the Gophers some games reverberate well among the entire Football program

It is unfathomable how they went into Lincoln last year and beat the Cornhuskers with thirty-three players down with Covid related quarantines.

I won't be surprised if they end up in the high nineties in vaccinations.

This is off-topic. What will happen to the Vikings if Kirk Cousins refusal to get vaccinated come back to bite the team? Will all the players forfeit their earnings and pay the other team for their losses?

Listened to interview - a few highlights:

PJ - players have reported. starting practice. excited. hoping to have more of a normal training camp. took things for granted until last year, like being able to have meetings with everybody in the same room. team is 90% vaccinated. Still have rules in place we have to follow.

(PA: are you preparing for OSU?)
PJ - spend some time on opponents in off-season. right now, focusing on us. like where we're at with work ethic, togetherness. will start to spend more time on OSU in a couple of weeks, then ramp up as we get closer to Game Week.

(PA: will you score over 30 points a game like you did in 2019?)
PJ - we need to do whatever we need to do to win the game, and that means scoring one more point than the other team.

(PA: how does the team compare to when you took the job?)
PJ - better all around. OL and DL. when I got here we had 4 OL. Now we have 9 guys who have started a game on OL. Defense is as deep as we've ever been on DL, DE. Front 7 is better - improved the LB corps. Secondary will play well. Still building depth.

(PA: asks about player Connor Keyes - apparently related to Kyle Rudolph)
PJ - he's working hard. has some people in front of him on the depth chart.

(PA: asks about Tanner Morgan)
PJ - he's in a good place, leaning on his faith. As a coach, I've dealt with the death of family members, but I've never had a death affect our entire football team like the death of Ted Morgan has. Tanner is the emotional leader of this team, and the players have rallied around him.

(PA: Do you expect a lot of energy from the student section?)
PJ - We've missed that feeling of a live event. Part of the college experience - tailgating, going to the game and being rowdy. we haven't had that for close to 2 years now. Very excited to have the students back.

They did only have 4 linemen able to participate in the spring game. Anything more a listener reads into that is on them not on the speaker.

I made 20k dollars at my current job in 2017. That doesn’t mean I only made 20k dollars in 2017. That doesn’t mean I only made 20k in 2018.

#Paycut, probably

Listened to interview - a few highlights:

PJ - players have reported. starting practice. excited. hoping to have more of a normal training camp. took things for granted until last year, like being able to have meetings with everybody in the same room. team is 90% vaccinated. Still have rules in place we have to follow.

(PA: are you preparing for OSU?)
PJ - spend some time on opponents in off-season. right now, focusing on us. like where we're at with work ethic, togetherness. will start to spend more time on OSU in a couple of weeks, then ramp up as we get closer to Game Week.

(PA: will you score over 30 points a game like you did in 2019?)
PJ - we need to do whatever we need to do to win the game, and that means scoring one more point than the other team.

(PA: how does the team compare to when you took the job?)
PJ - better all around. OL and DL. when I got here we had 4 OL. Now we have 9 guys who have started a game on OL. Defense is as deep as we've ever been on DL, DE. Front 7 is better - improved the LB corps. Secondary will play well. Still building depth.

(PA: asks about player Connor Keyes - apparently related to Kyle Rudolph)
PJ - he's working hard. has some people in front of him on the depth chart.

(PA: asks about Tanner Morgan)
PJ - he's in a good place, leaning on his faith. As a coach, I've dealt with the death of family members, but I've never had a death affect our entire football team like the death of Ted Morgan has. Tanner is the emotional leader of this team, and the players have rallied around him.

(PA: Do you expect a lot of energy from the student section?)
PJ - We've missed that feeling of a live event. Part of the college experience - tailgating, going to the game and being rowdy. we haven't had that for close to 2 years now. Very excited to have the students back.
Thanks for the writeup

so the guy he was talking to now thinks he had four offensive linemen on the team when he got here?

even as a non-literal statement, it's miscommunication and disingenuous...the non-literal interpretation was that what he took over in his o-line room was horrible...actually it was one of the best units in 2017 and 2018 and three of the guys he was given (plus two blocking tight ends he was given) will be mainstays on his o-line in 2021...
I didn't listen to the interview, but if the guy he was talking to is Paul Allen then you can rest assured that he was not even paying attention. I would take a good guess that the thought bubble over Paul's head was a scene of him giving Dalvin Cook an oily massage on the beach as some soft Kenny G. music plays in the background and magical dolphins serve up piña coladas.

Close to 90% are vaccinated. Good for real life but does it mean anything when anyone who gets COVID won't be allowed to play and vaccinated people can get COVID.

The incidence of vaccinated people testing positive is very, very low.

The incidence of vaccinated people testing positive is very, very low.

Well, I know of two vaccinated people who have tested positive so I don't think the probability is negligible. One is a long-time friend. Although he didn't need to be hospitalized, he still said he felt pretty bad for a period. I finished my vaccinations in April and stopped wearing a mask at indoor locations not too long after. I'm starting to rethink that.

Close to 90% are vaccinated. Good for real life but does it mean anything when anyone who gets COVID won't be allowed to play and vaccinated people can get COVID.
Well, I know of two vaccinated people who have tested positive so I don't think the probability is negligible. One is a long-time friend. Although he didn't need to be hospitalized, he still said he felt pretty bad for a period. I finished my vaccinations in April and stopped wearing a mask at indoor locations not too long after. I'm starting to rethink that.
Yes, breakthrough cases are more common with Delta than before. I think the numbers still put the Pfizer and moderna vaccines at >90% efficacy with remain to preventing illness.

What having over 90% vaccinated on the team means is that if someone tests positive, it's very unlikely to take out a ton of ither players. So we may only have 2 or 3 players out rather than 30. That makes a huge difference this year when it's okay or forfeit.

Top Bottom