PJ Offense 2014-2021

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Because of all the discussion this year about PJ/OC play calling, especially run/pass ratio, I took look at PJ history from 2014 forward. This year most resembles 2017, when our QBs were Rhoda and Croft. In PJ's better years, he averaged over 2 touchdowns per game through the air. This year it is 0.9 TDs through the air per game; only 2017 was worse at 0.8 passing TDs per game. This year is definitely not what PJ has done over the course of his career. Why, I don't know. In 2019, for example we attacked the end zone through the air. Reason: Bateman and TJ. But in many of PJ's prior seasons, he had similar passing TDs per game stats. PJ's conservative play calling looks to be a recent phenomenon. Maybe he'll revert back to his normal stats next year? One can hope.

Attachments

• PJ Run:Pass.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

I keep telling you, KC was with him from year 1 and is gone. Maybe he thinks he can develop Sanford. I don’t think he can. Game planning and play calling are a knack and I don’t think Sanford has it. This offense has been much more inept these last 2 seasons. It looks neutered.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.20.48 AM.png
For those who can't open the PDF file. 2020 and 2021 been much lighter on passing than any previous PJ Gopher or Western Michigan team, except 2017 Rhoda/Croft year. OC or PJ? Personnel?

Some other interesting things to me.
YPC: 4.46 yards (compared to 4.5 for 2014-2020)
YPA: 7.7 yards (compared to 9.78 for 2014-2020 and 7.57 last year)
Rushing yards per carry about steady with usual averages and the pass yards per attempt have absolutely plummeted under Sanford, though he was much better in games when Bateman played last year.

Top Bottom