Luke Fickell: 73-32, 3-5 at OSU, 35-11 at Cinci, 5-4 at WI; .695, .683
Matt Rhule: 55-51, 19-13 at Temple, 13-14 at Baylor, 3-7 at Neb; .519, .507
Jonathan Smith: 37-36, 23-29 at Or St, 1-0 at MSU; .507, .453
Jedd Fisch: 19-22, 1-0 at UCLA, 11-16 at Arizona, 1-0 at Wash; .463, .448
Sherrone Moore: 4-1, 1-0; .8, 1.0
Bert Bielema: 119-77, 37-19 at WI, 11-29 at Ark, 13-15 at Ill; .607, .491
Greg Schiano: 90-95, 37-74; .486, .333
Mike Locksley: 34-60, 2-15 at UNM, 15-33 at MD; .362, .261
Curt Cignetti (only D1 to avoid his IUP and Elon records which are good): 56-9, 31-4 at JMU, 1-0 at IU; ..862, .889
David Braun: 10-7, 5-5; .588, .5
Ryan Walters: 5-10, 3-6; .333, .333
Deshaun Foster: 1-2, 0-1; .333, 0
PJ Fleck: 82-58, 21-11 at WMU, 29-33 at MN; .586, .532

So his overall win % is 11th and conf record is 9th. If you want just big ten record it gets worse and especially if you look at in the light of playing in the atrocious B10 West. He's middle of the road at best. Which I guess depends on how you view "best" and unfortunately the trend line does not look good. Add to that his rivalry/trophy game record (MI: 0-3. WI: 3-4. IA: 1-7. PSU: 1-1. NE: 6-1) and I don't know how you can feel good about where we're at, especially when you view IA and WI should be the measuring sticks to where we're at as a program year by year.
Apologies, I was lazy with my wording there. I meant one of the best that the Gophers have had.

But your post is pretty clear about comparative stats!

A lot of these big buyouts are paid by boosters - not the school. A Texas school that wants to buy out the coach can call up a couple of oil men/boosters and raise the buyout pronto. At MN, there is no equivalent. No fat cat is going to cough up $20 million to get rid of Fleck.
Also, I wonder if the Regents would have to approve of the buyout. I know they had to approve of the contract, but I feel like that massive of an expenditure decision ... if they wouldn't want to be the ones to approve it or not?

Who will do that? The new prexy at the U may have more things on her plate at this time. Such as winning the hearts and minds of state legislators and the Governor and the people who hold the strings to the state budget that funds the U of M.
There are always those things to do.

Mn will never win consistently until a prexy puts winning as a priority. I don't expect that to happen so Mn will muddle along.

I think this fleck guy is going to have a tough time winning more than 4 this year.

Put that $22 million into NIL and asst coaches salary pool and suddenly PJ would be a much better coach. Probably better than anyone else we could get.
PJ Fleck is who he is. He's been the same guy for 8 years. He's had more advantages and opportunities in terms of budget, facilities, and the weakest path to getting to the conf title game (until this year) than any coach since Murray Warmath and failed to even get the chance to win the conference.

Even with more money and more resources that won't stop him from clinging to his ultra conservative approach to not losing games.

He has been handsomely rewarded for his mostly mediocre tenure. Why would he change?

He has gotten stale but honestly nothing will change unless we up our NIL game.

Getting rid of him won't fix the elephant in the room. If we want to compete with the big boys we have to spend like them.
Who wants to donate money to a program that plays the style that they play?

They are boring on purpose, are poorly coached, can’t run the ball, are horrible when it comes to in game management, get blown out by almost every team that is better than them, terrible terrible special teams, and the list goes on.

Not to mention, when your assistant coach pool is limited to people that are willing to scream your strange acronyms and “sayings” as part of their coaching style, you are limiting yourself.

Fleck is not leaving. His agent outplayed Coyle with the rumor that UCLA was interested. Coyle should be fired for not doing his homework. The flick Fleck movement is DOA with that contract. Fleck is like a row boat in the middle of Lake Wayzata with no oars but a 4 year supply of good food and beer.

Fleck is not leaving. His agent outplayed Coyle with the rumor that UCLA was interested. Coyle should be fired for not doing his homework. The flick Fleck movement is DOA with that contract. Fleck is like a row boat in the middle of Lake Wayzata with no oars but a 4 year supply of good food and beer.
It’s a very low bar on outplaying Coyle. He’s an idiot, but then again my faith in the U was shaken when Maturi was inducted into the HOF. I can’t come up with one good thing Maturi did with sports I care about. Pathetic.

Comparing competing for coaches with dollars and contracts to cliff jumping is a poor analogy, in my opinon

But you are correct. We could pay someone 75k per year to be the head coach if we really wanted to.
Hopefully this sounds as dumb to you as when I read it.

Top Bottom