PJ having his own Reality TV show

Out State Gopher

Reaction score
PJ has the personality, energy and likability for a reality TV show. Following his days in the life of practice, signing day, recruitment, game day, challenges of the changing NCAA football & family life. Insights of a B1G football team & program. "The Life & Times of a B1G football coach". If Cousins can star in Netflix PJ would be a Super Star. The Highs & Lows of a football program. A much better alternative to Last Chance U. Recruiting would be interesting.

How do I ask this.

Out State Gopher. ... how old are you / how much do you play attention to the game?

I ask because your statements and questions are not wrong, but they're like someone who doesn't watch the team. Nothing entirely wrong with that but, it's curious.

Example: PJ actually had his own show where they followed him as a coach on ESPN.

let's say I'm skeptical about that happening.

for this reason: college FB coaches are some of the biggest control freaks in the world. so I am skeptical that they would consent to having cameras follow them around with total access to practice, meetings, family life, etc. No coach would allow cameras to show the team working on plays in the meeting room or in practice. that would be like inviting Connor Stallions to attend practice...... not to mention the recruiting angle - no way a coach would allow cameras to show an in-home recruiting session.

so the only way I see Fleck or any other P5 coach agree to a reality show is if they had final cut - final approval over what goes on the air. which would for all practical purposes turn it from a reality show into an infomercial.

How do I ask this.

Out State Gopher. ... how old are you / how much do you play attention to the game?

I ask because your statements and questions are not wrong, but they're like someone who doesn't watch the team. Nothing entirely wrong with that but, it's curious.

Example: PJ actually had his own show where they followed him as a coach on ESPN.
If I remember correctly it was only a few episodes long.

I wonder why BTN doesn't do something like this with a few coaches each year.

If I remember correctly it was only a few episodes long.

That’s a good question, but I think the production costs are actually pretty high or something like that in terms of manpower to get good content over a long time.

And if I’m a coach, I’m at least a little bit wary of what all gets recorded.

Do they still have the big 10 journeys documentary? That’s not so much coach specific but similar.

let's say I'm skeptical about that happening.

for this reason: college FB coaches are some of the biggest control freaks in the world. so I am skeptical that they would consent to having cameras follow them around with total access to practice, meetings, family life, etc. No coach would allow cameras to show the team working on plays in the meeting room or in practice. that would be like inviting Connor Stallions to attend practice...... not to mention the recruiting angle - no way a coach would allow cameras to show an in-home recruiting session.

so the only way I see Fleck or any other P5 coach agree to a reality show is if they had final cut - final approval over what goes on the air. which would for all practical purposes turn it from a reality show into an infomercial.
Like the rest of the media, perhaps access could be limited? Example first 15 minutes of practice?

PJ has the personality, energy and likability for a reality TV show. Following his days in the life of practice, signing day, recruitment, game day, challenges of the changing NCAA football & family life. Insights of a B1G football team & program. "The Life & Times of a B1G football coach". If Cousins can star in Netflix PJ would be a Super Star. The Highs & Lows of a football program. A much better alternative to Last Chance U. Recruiting would be interesting.
I think it would work. He definitely has the personality for it and I believe it would attract more recruits as well. The next Deon Sanders.....lol

He's definitely a character people could get hooked on watching but i think he'd come off as too fake just because of the gimmicks and how his personality is. He wouldn't be douchey at all but if you're not very familiar with him you'd be watching and think he's 100% acting in all aspects.

They may try, but I think PJ is in the distinct minority among coaches in that he seems to welcome more attention on his personal life rather than wanting less.

That’s a good question, but I think the production costs are actually pretty high or something like that in terms of manpower to get good content over a long time.

And if I’m a coach, I’m at least a little bit wary of what all gets recorded.

Do they still have the big 10 journeys documentary? That’s not so much coach specific but similar.
I believe they still do The Journey. And that's pretty good.

I'm even just thinking one episode per coaching staff. Each week pick a staff to follow around and talk about how they prep, do practices, etc.

You aren't wrong, but it would never happen.

However, I have a pitch for a reality TV show: We stick every B1G HC in a house over the summer completely isolated from the outside world. They then live together and compete in various "coaching related" games, and each week vote 1 coach out of the house. Last coach standing wins something (details would be worked out later). Call it B1G Brother.

I would be most interested in how the head coach and staff implement their culture. Obviously primarily for the Gophers, but each program has their own philosophical perspectives and it'd be cool to get behind the curtain to see how they cultivate that with their players.

Ah, no. Can you imagine the articles and conversations in the papers and talk shows around the Cities. Bad enough already.

He could do a spot at the end of each show surrounded by cold and sickly looking dogs where he urges people to send money to DTA while Sarah McLachlan plays in the background.

Turn it over to the people who do the BBall games for B10+

It would be epic.

How do I ask this.

What has changed since his ESPN show? NIL, the portal transfer, adding the 4 Pac12 teams. How will each one of those affect PJ, Gopher football. Will there be changes on how he recuits the new West Coast states? College football is rapidly changing thus getting PJ's views would be great. Who knew the PAC 12 would dissolve 3 years ago. Like a baby's diaper, changes in college football will be messy & often. College football will no longer be static but dynanic. I for one will be enjoying the ride. PJ could be the Minnesota Kardashian.

What has changed since his ESPN show? NIL, the portal transfer, adding the 4 Pac12 teams. How will each one of those affect PJ, Gopher football. Will there be changes on how he recuits the new West Coast states? College football is rapidly changing thus getting PJ's views would be great. Who knew the PAC 12 would dissolve 3 years ago. Like a baby's diaper, changes in college football will be messy & often. College football will no longer be static but dynanic. I for one will be enjoying the ride. PJ could be the Minnesota Kardashian.
That response sounds like a chatGPT riff….

PJ is just another coach now. There was a time when he was the new guy, the youngest guy, the Row the Boat guy. The one having DJs at the game and jumping in ice holes. He got a short ESPN series (more than most coaches) because he had a brand and a new face.

That’s all leveled off. He’s entering his 8th year at a mid-tier Big Ten program. He isn’t a very controversial guy and coaches a vanilla style of football. He’s not a former celebrity player or married to a celebrity. He’s not doing splashy things in recruiting like at WMU because beating Ohio State for 4* guys in the NIL era is much harder than beating Toledo for 2* guys playing for free.

Even Deion saw the hype train slow significantly 2nd half of year 1 at Colorado. And in time he will just be Colorado’s usual coach. Unless he wins big.

Out State Gopher seems like a thread generating bot
Yeah something something ... weird.

Its like the knowledge level is very very low to start, nothing wrong with that, but then all these weird talking point / name drops and such get just thrown in for no reason. Like some weird formula to "increase engagement" in ways that don't make sense in the context of what a fan would know / say.

Yeah something something ... weird.

Its like the knowledge level is very very low to start, nothing wrong with that, but then all these weird talking point / name drops and such get just thrown in for no reason. Like some weird formula to "increase engagement" in ways that don't make sense in the context of what a fan would know / say.

And it’s like 10 threads. Super bizarre. Maybe the increased engagement plus extra ads is funding NIL

Top Bottom