PJ has to be on the hot seat right ? (nevermind ive been told to accept being mediocre when were good enough to be mediocre)

I used this as a teaching moment for my son. In the real world, if you perform this poorly at your job, you won’t keep your job. If you’re a football coach, you just have to give some empty platitudes and you will get a raise and extension

I used this as a teaching moment for my son. In the real world, if you perform this poorly at your job, you won’t keep your job. If you’re a football coach, you just have to give some empty platitudes and you will get a raise and extension
Maybe find a better example so your son doesn’t get confused.

Hmmm firing one of the most consistent, winningest coaches in program history. Where have we seen this fail recently? Somewhere beyond the river...
Exactly, Nebraska still trying to recover, and Wisconsin would likely be in much better shape this year had they not gotten rid of Chryst.

He's not getting fired, and I think he should get another year.

That said, I hate the loser mentaltiy of "best coach since X" or "who are we going to get that's going to do better?". A LOT of coaches would have done a lot better with Minnesota's schedule the past 3 years than Fleck has. 2019 makes him better than Jerry Kill or Glen Mason. 2019 is also 4 full seasons ago now and the product on the field hasn't been close to that level since. Paul Chryst was 43-18 in the Big Ten at Wisconsin. PJ Fleck is nowhere near Paul Chryst. Iowa is risking Ferentz leaving by essentially firing his son in the midst of a season where they are pulling out miracle win after miracle win with a QB who should be playing intramurals. If the expectations at Wisconsin/Iowa are that much greater than they are here...maybe PJ Fleck hasn't improved things as much as some think.

Justin Gaard went on a rant on the "Pair and a Spare" podcast about the "7th year" issue. According to Gaard, that is not a fair criticism of Fleck or his program.

But - this is Fleck's program. he hired the coaches, he recruited all the players. I don't expect a program like MN to be absolutely consistent - but again, when you've had your system in place for 7 years, you should be able to avoid big downturns.

Yes, the portal and NIL have an impact - but we watched a D1 FB team today that has 1 really good LB - and he's hurt. 1 LB gets hurt - the defense struggles. 2 LB's get hurt and the defense collapses.
as much as people on here have trashed Gousby, he misses the game and the secondary falls apart.

there is no depth on this team. none. after 7 years. who recruited those players? who coaches those players? do I have to answer that question?

5-7 this year and 5-7 next year = fire Fleck 🔥

Justin Gaard went on a rant on the "Pair and a Spare" podcast about the "7th year" issue. According to Gaard, that is not a fair criticism of Fleck or his program.

But - this is Fleck's program. he hired the coaches, he recruited all the players. I don't expect a program like MN to be absolutely consistent - but again, when you've had your system in place for 7 years, you should be able to avoid big downturns.

Yes, the portal and NIL have an impact - but we watched a D1 FB team today that has 1 really good LB - and he's hurt. 1 LB gets hurt - the defense struggles. 2 LB's get hurt and the defense collapses.
as much as people on here have trashed Gousby, he misses the game and the secondary falls apart.

there is no depth on this team. none. after 7 years. who recruited those players? who coaches those players? do I have to answer that question?
In college football it doesn’t matter what year the regime is in. You get a bad year of untimely transfers and you can be in trouble. You have to really be a master of roster management and super active in the portal, because in some cases that’s going to be the only option to add depth without relying on true freshmen.

A bunch of the quality defensive depth was on the squad last year and walked out via the portal while the replacements were nowhere near as good. The portal has killed any notion of a coach slowly building a non-helmet school program and keeping it at a high level year in and out.

Justin Gaard is a lackey who I have little trust in. His gravy train is hitched to PJ and old baldy Dan B, so always keep that in mind.

On an unrelated comment, I appreciate the HS football commentary from S.O.N. as he as reported on the Sleepy Eye SM Public / St Mary's team as well as the Springfield team still up for a Championship.

To get further in the weeds, my last HS football game was played on the banks of the Cottonwood River in Springfield MN a long time ago. Also, playing in Sleepy Eye, with the Providence? Nursing Home By St, Mary's with residents watching from retirement home behind the visiting bench is something not to be forgotten. Based on the photo I saw, SEU played some games on that field, so that made my HS football season. (as a fan this year mainly focused on 6A around there, but still paying attention) The Sleepy Eye St. Mary's fooball field was one that would not be forgotten by anyone that played there.
Ok Boomer

@btowngopher what about tonight makes you think they’ll beat Wisc, and therefore go on to beat a MAC team in Detroit?

Why do people expect the team to always be better than the year before? What a weird concept. Plenty of coaches have ups and downs.
I think most fans understand your win total might go up and down, but the fact our offense is painful to watch, poor coaching decisions, losing to teams we are clearly better than, failing to ever make a game changing play on special teams, etc is what is driving fans up the wall. We seem to struggle in the same parts of the game every game and this has basically been going on since the 2020 season.

Big Ten wins since I've graduated High School:

Fleck (excluding covid year)

3 (with two more to go)

Here’s a question I really don’t know the answer to. I would say no and I’ve been around for a long time but there’s folks on here that I’ve been around a longer than me – – have the Gophers ever really had a top-notch super impressive, Athletic Director?

I'm beginning this Gopherchase character is the shithead that writes hit pieces on Fleck every summer. It's the same type of derangement.

I went on vacation about 8 days ago and missed last 2 games. Apparently, fleck has crapped the bed.

Yeah. I was deer hunting this afternoon. I checked the score every once in a while, but not watching the game saved a lot of negative vibes.

I'm beginning this Gopherchase character is the shithead that writes hit pieces on Fleck every summer. It's the same type of derangement.
Nope, don’t really care much about him other than the three or four hours on Saturdays, where he shits the bed.

Top Bottom