PJ has been extended with new 7 year contract

GI has rumored that there are raises for his staff as well.
Hopefully Wenger gets demoted, fleck changes his best and learns what advantageous special teams decisions looks like and finds someone to coach that phase

I hope the staff raises are substantial for key positions. Rossi, Burns, Simon, Collins, Haynes. Rossi and Burns are the two most likely to be in the mix for head coach jobs somewhere. Collins could be an up and coming DC somewhere.
You understand that the majority of coaches do not want to be a HC, right?

How many games will the Gopher's lose before the crowd criticizes the new contract?

2023 SCHEDULE
Nebraska (Rhule premier) LOSS
Eastern Michigan WIN
North Carolina LOSS
Northwestern WIN
Louisiana Lafayette WIN
Michigan LOSS
Iowa TOSS UP
Michigan State WIN
Illinois TOSS UP
Purdue WIN
Ohio State LOSS
Wisconsin TOSS UP
Uhh yeah UNC is not quite the juggernaut you think it is. They don't play particularly well against a good run game. See GT.

Since WWII, PJ has the highest win% of any Gopher coach ever. Do we all want to win a few more games, sure, but this era has been as good as any in our last 75 years so kind of have to do this.

The only thing I guess i didnt see, I am fine with the extension, but on these I do hope/wish they would raise the buyout. Hey we are committing to you, but we want that in return, you say you arent leaving, cool jack that buyout up.
With all the changes with NIL and BT... we need to pay him just to maintain 5 conference wins.. the rest of the (soon to be former) Big Ten west is going to suffer under these changes.

How many games will the Gopher's lose before the crowd criticizes the new contract?

2023 SCHEDULE
Nebraska (Rhule premier) LOSS
Eastern Michigan WIN
North Carolina LOSS
Northwestern WIN
Louisiana Lafayette WIN
Michigan LOSS
Iowa TOSS UP
Michigan State WIN
Illinois TOSS UP
Purdue WIN
Ohio State LOSS
Wisconsin TOSS UP
Well if you consider yourself and GopherChase as part of the crowd then the answer to your question is he will have to lose zero games since you two are already complaining.

Funny how most teams take a bit of a step back under a new coach but apparently in your mind Nebraska is going to beat us at home even though we have done really well against Nebraska during the Fleck era and they will be breaking in a new staff.

Since PJ arrived, there are 12 teams that are trying to catch up to OSU-46 wins and Micheeeegen-38. Its been that way for years. With PJ, the Gophers-26 have been in the middle of the pack along with MSU-26, Purdue-26, and NU-26 behind PSU-35, Wisky-34, and Iowa-33.

However if my math is correct, in the past four seasons the Gophers have ranked #5 in BIG wins with 21 following OSU-30, Mich-25, Iowa-24 and PSU-22. Yes, we do have more wins than Wisky-20 so we can rub that in their noses!

Clearly, PJ has elevated the program from the traditional lower 1/3 of the BIG and we could even claim to be ranked number two in the West right behind Iowa since 2018 thanks to our win this season in Madtown.

So where does that put PJ in the minds of Gopher fans?? I recognize the marked improvement under PJ (even though its .500) and also realize that winning big and often at Minnesota is a huge challenge. It remains to be seen if PJ can get us further up the BIG ladder but I'm willing to hang in there with him. The 2023 schedule looks very difficult and if he can somehow field a competitive squad that will say a lot.

Particularly just before National Signing Day.
Agreed.

PJ has often been "it gets done when it gets done, no rush" about contracts but maybe with the coaching changes and some things he heard, they wanted to move it up / get it done to make a statement.

Since PJ arrived, there are 12 teams that are trying to catch up to OSU-46 wins and Micheeeegen-38. Its been that way for years. With PJ, the Gophers-26 have been in the middle of the pack along with MSU-26, Purdue-26, and NU-26 behind PSU-35, Wisky-34, and Iowa-33.

However if my math is correct, in the past four seasons the Gophers have ranked #5 in BIG wins with 21 following OSU-30, Mich-25, Iowa-24 and PSU-22. Yes, we do have more wins than Wisky-20 so we can rub that in their noses!

Clearly, PJ has elevated the program from the traditional lower 1/3 of the BIG and we could even claim to be ranked number two in the West right behind Iowa since 2018 thanks to our win this season in Madtown.

So where does that put PJ in the minds of Gopher fans?? I recognize the marked improvement under PJ (even though its .500) and also realize that winning big and often at Minnesota is a huge challenge. It remains to be seen if PJ can get us further up the BIG ladder but I'm willing to hang in there with him. The 2023 schedule looks very difficult and if he can somehow field a competitive squad that will say a lot.
I agree next year does present a challange and with no Mo. I don't know everyone's coming and going, who will replace who, the level of talent, etc but I am excited about the opportunity to see Floyd, The Ax, and Little Brown Jug home on the Univ of Minn campus.

"Six of the Gophers’ 10 on-field assistants have contracts that expire at the end of January, including running backs coach Kenni Burns, who has been included in head coaching searches over the past few years. The list also has receivers coach Matt Simon, special-teams coordinator Rob Wenger, cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes, tight ends coach Greg Harbaugh and safeties coach Danny Collins. … Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, defensive coordinator Joe Rossi and defensive line coach Brick Haley have deals through January 2024. … Offensive line coach Brian Callahan is signed through January 2025."

"Six of the Gophers’ 10 on-field assistants have contracts that expire at the end of January, including running backs coach Kenni Burns, who has been included in head coaching searches over the past few years. The list also has receivers coach Matt Simon, special-teams coordinator Rob Wenger, cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes, tight ends coach Greg Harbaugh and safeties coach Danny Collins. … Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, defensive coordinator Joe Rossi and defensive line coach Brick Haley have deals through January 2024. … Offensive line coach Brian Callahan is signed through January 2025."
So the million, alloted in PJ's new contract for asst coaches, comes out to roughly 12,500 raise per asst coach.

Yeah I get your point. I admittedly don't know how this works but I assume for example Rossi gets a much bigger raise than Joe Blow GA, right?
Correct. It's an extra $1M on top of $4.5 for the 10 assistants. $550,000 per, but that's not the case. Lowest are in the $300,000 per year range I believe.

Funny how most teams take a bit of a step back under a new coach but apparently in your mind Nebraska is going to beat us at home even though we have done really well against Nebraska during the Fleck era and they will be breaking in a new staff.

Don't you understand? New coaches with big names are always better than holdover coaches who have actually done the work with their current programs. Just like a four star entering freshman is always better than a three star junior who has started for two years. Some people are just very attracted to shiny new objects.

Top Bottom