PJ had a special bottle of bourbon labeled "Floyd" in his cabinet for years, he finally got so have a pour this weekend

PJ said it was stashed away in his bourbon cabinet. I would expect that it's a fine aged bourbon!

If you're a fan of the TV series Justified (as I am) you are probably curious about Pappy Van Winkle (as I am; never tried it).

If you're a fan of the TV series Justified (as I am) you are probably curious about Pappy Van Winkle (as I am; never tried it).

The hype surrounding PVW is based solely on its availability. Be warned.

The hype surrounding PVW is based solely on its availability. Be warned.
Absolutely. I had a 1 oz pour of pappy 23 yr a few years back and it was massively underwhelming. I’m pretty convinced that some of these rare and “high-end” distilleries and vineyards are money laundering fronts, but that would be a discussion for the off topic board.

Also really depends on what your tastebuds like and how it goes down. Bulleit for bourbon, Johnny Walker or Monkey Shoulder for scotch would be the usual go-to brands for me.

Way overrated. If you're looking for an affordable Scotch with a hint of smoke/peat, go with...

1698253650642.png

You can spend a lot more for a slightly better scotch, but this is a solid delivery for the price point.

Way overrated. If you're looking for an affordable Scotch with a hint of smoke/peat, go with...

View attachment 27879

You can spend a lot more for a slightly better scotch, but this is a solid delivery for the price point.
You bring up some interesting points. Single Malt vs Blended. Highland vs Speyside vs Lowlands, etc.

il_794xN.1762333216_k6nk.jpg

I used to watch these guys when I was shopping for gifts. Somewhat entertaining.

You bring up some interesting points. Single Malt vs Blended. Highland vs Speyside vs Lowlands, etc.

il_794xN.1762333216_k6nk.jpg
Single malts are typically going to be more expensive, and I've found them to not be nearly as consistent from bottle-to-bottle -- a lot of variation between batches. I also prefer some smoke to the flavor, which is peat added to the processing, but that's obviously a taste preference. If you want to go single-malt, here's my highlands pick:

1698265063373.png

Single malts are typically going to be more expensive, and I've found them to not be nearly as consistent from bottle-to-bottle -- a lot of variation between batches. I also prefer some smoke to the flavor, which is peat added to the processing, but that's obviously a taste preference. If you want to go single-malt, here's my highlands pick:

View attachment 27881
I rarely drink with that said, I have mostly had Highlands stuff. I've mostly given it away (anniversaries/ retirements, etc.)

I've had Laphroaig. a little too smokey for me. Usually I've gifted young scotch (12 year olds) Abelour, Balvenie, and Oban 14). In a nutshell, affordable, but still decent?

It is amazing. I have a co-worker in KY and they have allowed me to have a few pours. There is a reason they sell a limited number of bottles and at such a high price....especially on the re-sale market. It is that good.

Top Bottom