PJ Fleck to Gophers: Pay no attention to Northwestern’s 1-8 record

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wald:

Fleck says don’t be fooled, they won’t be a push over.

"When you play Northwestern, never look at the record. I don’t think I ever have, because you know exactly what you’re going to get," Fleck said Monday. "They’re a tough football team, coached by Pat Fitzgerald, they play as hard as anybody we’ve ever played and it’s every year. I never look at the record. This football team doesn’t look at that record one bit, nor are fooled by that record one bit. Can’t fool us with that."

Fleck is telling his team they’re playing a Big Ten West title contender. After all, they won the division in 2018 and 2020. Four of the Wildcats’ eight losses this season have been by one possession, and all have been close games aside from Wisconsin and Iowa.

Go Gophers!!

They did pretty well against Ohio State for a while. Crap happens if you let your guard down. Yes, we should beat them.

They did pretty well against Ohio State for a while. Crap happens if you let your guard down. Yes, we should beat them.
There are plenty of reasons not to overlook Northwestern.....but the only reason they were able to make things competitive with Ohio State at all was because the wind/rain made it impossible to throw the ball.

Guys...this is the trap game of trap gamed. We start a frosh QB. They have a stud RB. If we turn it over a bunch and they monopolize the ball, this could be close. Absolutely we can't look past this game.

Guys...this is the trap game of trap gamed. We start a frosh QB. They have a stud RB. If we turn it over a bunch and they monopolize the ball, this could be close. Absolutely we can't look past this game.
Hull is a solid RB, but he is far from a Stud RB. 4.2 yards a carry, 700 yards and 4 TD through 9 games is not very studly. :)

If we play bad, they can beat us. If we play well they can't. Pretty simple formula.

Pat's teams can always bite someone in the ass regardless of their record leading to the game.

If a bunch of things happen that almost certainly aren't going to happen, this could be a close game, you're right.

I understand coach speak. And yes, any given saturday, blah, blah, blah. But this Northwestern team is really putrid. They would be winless if Scott Frost wasn't such a putz.

This is a Gopher Football Playoff game! Throw the records out the window! Win and keep the season alive!

Playing Northwestern is like playing a service academy. Are they objectively good? Not usually. Are they gritty and going to make things difficult? Very likely.

I don’t think I’ll ever overlook a team, let alone a B1G team, after Bowling Green.

never take a big ten opponent lightly especially on the road

Looks like P.J. Fleck knew what he was doing. Little sloppy at times, but overall a focused team that got the job done. Next up Ioaw!

*Misspelling intentional. Their flag team made it "popular".

They are who we thought they were.

Top Bottom