PJ Fleck, Row The Boat, and Coaches schtick

Fleck has Charisma. Lets look at schitck the leader is Coach Khaki Pants. I would play for Fleck. And wonder what stunt Coach Khaki had used to land a team mate.

Are you guys serious? How is a person supposed to prove that? Of course it's my opinion. What do you expect? What did you see from them that showed you they were better? Minnesota played Wisconsin tougher than WMU did. Wisconsin controlled the WMU game from start to finish. It got deceptively close because of what was essentially a hail mary. Minnesota plays good strong defense and would have contained their offense the same way Wisconsin did. Plus WMU played Northwestern when NU was playing like crap. They have a ball control offense and solid defense. They are a mid level B1G team, same as Minnesota. They wouldn't have won any games Minnesota lost this year. So....not better. If you're looking for statistical proof, keep waiting. That's not proof anyway, as seen by every word written prior to the Holiday Bowl.

You're stating it as though it's fact. At worst, they're basically equivalent teams, and Fleck is recruiting to a MAC school with MAC resources. Even being equivalent to the worst Big Ten school is a huge accomplishment for a MAC coach, and we were far from the worst Big Ten school this year. If they played on a neutral field today, WMU would be favored by 3 or 4 points, and while that's not objective or scientific, a betting line is far more meaningful than some schmo's opinion on a message board.

I don't know where you've been but the best MAC schools have been better than the worst B1G schools for a while. It's not such a remarkable accomplishment.

And you'll just have to mentally sort out the difference between fact an opinion for yourself. It's a pretty normal part of being on a message board.

Yes, Row the Boat is a schtick, but how different is it really than 'Brick by Brick' which didn't seem to concern people. In both cases, these two simple messages are a simplified way of depicting specific values and expectations, all of which if adhered to will produce a positive outcome.

As a relatively young leader I can see how this has been successful for Fleck and his program. I do expect that with continued success and experience he will have earned enough credibility to achieve buy in without what some people perceive as silly sayings.

If Fleck does come to MSP, I do expect his boat & oars will follow, but what I also expect is success and if given enough time, the boat references will become a rally cry of the past.
Also, I have heard several radio interviews of Fleck from the Jim Rome show going back several years. While I understand the trepidation due to the Brewster years there is a huge difference between Fleck and Brewster. By all appearances, Fleck is the real deal and what I mean by that is he is GENUINE & AUTHENTIC, Brewster was nothing more than a gas bag.

Lastly, this is from a couple years ago, it's a video of how Fleck creatively offered a scholarship to a walk on. Whether you like the row the boat saying or not, you have to like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVxwHfRk2Q

Seriously, what is it about Fleck that's going to make Minnesota BETTER. He doesn't run an innovative offense. Minnesota would have beaten Western Michigan this year yet everybody thought he was God's gift to football because he does pushups on the sideline. Take that crap away and what does he bring to the table?

Many people are cautiously optimistic about him. 13 wins is a great accomplishment at any level. At the very worst, his team was just below the Gophers. Impressive at a MAC school in my opinion.

I'm not sure if he'd be a good coach for sure, but I think he could be a good hire. Young, energetic guy with proven success.

Brewster was nothing more than a gas bag.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVxwHfRk2Q

I'm still trying to figure out what Brewster was, and it's years later. I can only guess based on his approach, which was very shortcutty. He seemed to think he could achieve momentum with some early recruiting success and then things would take care of themselves. Tactically he seemed to be a scheme guy, and he hired good coordinators, but the position coaches weren't the best - they were geared toward recruiting. That was the appeal of brick by brick, which establishes the foundation that Brewster skipped.

I agree that we need to stop comparing Fleck to Brewster. That's bogus.

Seriously, what is it about Fleck that's going to make Minnesota BETTER. He doesn't run an innovative offense. Minnesota would have beaten Western Michigan this year yet everybody thought he was God's gift to football because he does pushups on the sideline. Take that crap away and what does he bring to the table?

Watch the last two minutes of this.

I don't know where you've been but the best MAC schools have been better than the worst B1G schools for a while. It's not such a remarkable accomplishment.

They have been? Why don't you go ahead and find the head-to-head record between MAC and Big Ten schools over the last 5-10 years?

And you'll just have to mentally sort out the difference between fact an opinion for yourself. It's a pretty normal part of being on a message board.

Thanks for the advice, Mr. I-Joined-the-Board-a-Month-Ago-and-Can't-Spell-the-Word-Genius.

They have been? Why don't you go ahead and find the head-to-head record between MAC and Big Ten schools over the last 5-10 years?

Thanks for the advice, Mr. I-Joined-the-Board-a-Month-Ago-and-Can't-Spell-the-Word-Genius.

You're almost on the inside of the joke. One step further and you'll get it, friend. Ten bucks says if I checked your search history right now your last one would be "correct spelling of genius". If your comparison was relevant to my point I might take you up on it.

And if I had known that getting here sooner would have increased my intelligence level so much I would have joined a long time ago.

Top Bottom