PJ Fleck not bothered by travel concerns of a coast-to-coast B1G

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Paul:

PJ Fleck is still adjusting to the news that the B1G is expanding with the arrivals of USC and UCLA set for the 2024 season. During his B1G Media Days appearance, Fleck admitted he was thrilled when he first heard the news.

“The first thing that came to my mind was L.A., are you kidding me? That’s perfect,” Fleck explained .”The Big Ten now is represented from the West Coast to the East Coast. You look at the major media markets now, that’s incredibly positive.”

“I think people asked me a question back there about travel, I think other sports could be affected. Again, I look through it from the football eyes. I was a part of MACtion. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights on 9-hour bus rides. I don’t think anyone asked me that question (about travel). I think there’s people way smarter than me that will figure all that out in terms of how we’re going to make that all work.

“Again, it’s a positive blueprint for the Big Ten, and change is really healthy. It’s a big change, and we’re excited about having the L.A. market into the Big Ten.”

Go Gophers!!

Exactly. Much ado about nothing.

If I were a USC or UCLA player or fan, I would think the move sucked. Going from all games in the same time zone to traveling thousands of miles and 2 or 3 time zones over for all but one game - not ideal. For football, it's not *that* big of a deal. For virtually every other sport, the impact is much more painful.

Last edited:

If I were a USC or UCLA player or fan, I would think the move sucked. Going from all games in the same time zone to traveling thousands of miles and 2 or 3 time zones over for all but one game - not ideal. For football, it's not *that* big of a deal. For virtually every sport, the impact is much more painful.
Yeah. Especially when they start losing to Bielema and Illinois 17-9 in early November in 41 degree Champaign

We're in the geographic middle of the "new" conference. For once a change does not really affect us too much...

We're in the geographic middle of the "new" conference. For once a change does not really affect us too much...
Change affects us a lot if there are still Divisions and we start having 2-4 8-9pm central starts per year

The 930pm Central slot is for games that start at 730pm in the Pacific time zone.

That can only possibly happen to us once a year. No chance we have to travel to both USC and UCLA the same season, and even then seems unlikely both would get the late night slot.

Obviously 8pm Central is a different story.

The 930pm Central slot is for games that start at 730pm in the Pacific time zone.

That can only possibly happen to us once a year. No chance we have to travel to both USC and UCLA the same season, and even then seems unlikely both would get the late night slot.

Obviously 8pm Central is a different story.
I've come to enjoy the late PAC12 games on the TV. Gophs playing would only up the enjoyment.

I've come to enjoy the late PAC12 games on the TV. Gophs playing would only up the enjoyment.
Same here. Love fall and 13 hours of college football on Saturday.

Last edited:

Wonder if this alter games times?

This is like when the CEO says it's fine that everyone should be in the office 5 days a week when he takes a helicopter to work.

Not every sport can pull together the funds for all this airplane travel, and not every sport plays a limited amount of road trips spaced at least a week apart. Football has the best of all worlds on this one.

This is like when the CEO says it's fine that everyone should be in the office 5 days a week when he takes a helicopter to work.

Not every sport can pull together the funds for all this airplane travel, and not every sport plays a limited amount of road trips spaced at least a week apart. Football has the best of all worlds on this one.
I guess the question is though, how many sports are flying to events already? If the baseball team plays at Michigan or Maryland, I assume they fly, right? Flying to Michigan isn't really that different than flying to California. The extra 1.5-2 hours in the air isn't a big deal compared to all the prep of getting everthing/everyone on and off the plane. If it's a flight it's a flight in my opinion. The Big Ten TV money can cover the increased flight costs.

Top Bottom