PJ Fleck is recruiting like he plans on being here a long time

This gig fits him like a glove. He has an AD who backs him up 100%. This is a great location, a hidden gem. Once the Gophers start winning championships, all the old stereotypes about MN weather, difficult to recruit from, etc... all go out the window.

He can build a dynasty here like what Hayden Fry and Barry Alvarez did at their respective athletic programs without the pressures at a P5 blue blood school where a 9-4 record can get you fired.

Bottom line is if Fleck wanted to go to a blue blood he could go there even with a 35 - 45 ranked recruiting class and a 9+ higher finish this year. If he was after a blue blood offer he would be putting all of his time into studying film for the upcoming year to get whatever edge he could to unsure a 9+ win season. The fact that he is giving himself completely to recruiting lets you know that his priorities are to build a title competing team here in MN. I do think if things go well the WI vs MN battle will become the OSU vs MI battle of old. In the next 5 years we could build something that becomes worthy of national attention and after that becomes a must watch affair (meaning our season and the rivalry).

Really...so you think he's NOT studying film to try to improve on last year? Not changing his best?

This gig fits him like a glove. He has an AD who backs him up 100%. This is a great location, a hidden gem. Once the Gophers start winning championships, all the old stereotypes about MN weather, difficult to recruit from, etc... all go out the window.

He can build a dynasty here like what Hayden Fry and Barry Alvarez did at their respective athletic programs without the pressures at a P5 blue blood school where a 9-4 record can get you fired.
I tend to agree with the sentiment of what you are saying --- but I have never bought the "without pressure" as being even a consideration for people like PJ (or any highly successful person for that matter). It sounds really nice and comforting - but people like PJ feed off of pressure. Often they want it and are at their best when under lots of it.

I tend to agree with the sentiment of what you are saying --- but I have never bought the "without pressure" as being even a consideration for people like PJ (or any highly successful person for that matter). It sounds really nice and comforting - but people like PJ feed off of pressure. Often they want it and are at their best when under lots of it.
Is it just me or is Spoofin posting like he plans on being here a long time?

Bottom line is if Fleck wanted to go to a blue blood he could go there even with a 35 - 45 ranked recruiting class and a 9+ higher finish this year. If he was after a blue blood offer he would be putting all of his time into studying film for the upcoming year to get whatever edge he could to unsure a 9+ win season. The fact that he is giving himself completely to recruiting lets you know that his priorities are to build a title competing team here in MN. I do think if things go well the WI vs MN battle will become the OSU vs MI battle of old. In the next 5 years we could build something that becomes worthy of national attention and after that becomes a must watch affair (meaning our season and the rivalry).
I'm guessing he's finding time to do both.

I don't doubt he is doing both, but if he felt he was gone or planning on being gone he would just focus on this season.

Interesting.. you think that what Fry and Alvarez did was a dynasty ? Seems to me that UW is a top 10-12 type overall program over 26 years but for me there better be quite a few conference titles and a national title for dynasty. Alvarez blew Fry away for big wins, Rose Boels etc..

Interesting.. you think that what Fry and Alvarez did was a dynasty ? Seems to me that UW is a top 10-12 type overall program over 26 years but for me there better be quite a few conference titles and a national title for dynasty. Alvarez blew Fry away for big wins, Rose Boels etc..

This is the closest thing to a dynasty in the B1G West.

PJ Fleck has a high likelihood of achieving some thing these two coaches never did - win a national title if he can reach P5 recruiting level.

To me, the reasons for P.J. to stay are pretty obvious:

— It's a B1G job. You can't move up much beyond the B1G. Maybe the SEC; but I think Fleck's a Midwestern boy.

— It's a perfect situation from the point of view of someone who, like Fleck, wants to truly put his own stamp on a Power 5 program, and build it in his own way. He's certainly doing that.

— It's a great area to raise a family. I know that gets said often, but it's true.

— He will get a statue. By the way, Warmath should have a statue, and so should Bierman.

— Name me another job that would be a step up, that would meet all the above criteria, and would have an opening in the near future. Go on; I dare ya!

The only way I see him leaving is if a school like Notre Dame calls, and even then I doubt it would tempt him all that much; he'd be just another coach in a long line of coaches who have had success there. At Minnesota, he can be our Alvarez... and more. That opportunity doesn't exist at Notre Dame, at least not in the same way.

The only worry I have is our own Minnesota Scandinavian stoicism, which almost becomes ritualistic. Some Minnesotans have a weird need to forecast only gloom, and then when faced with real success to minimize it rather than go all-in on celebrating. It's like they have a hard time allowing themselves to feel really happy. I'm talking about the whole, "Ya, not too bad, could be worse" Minnesota thing. I could see that sort of mentality becoming a little bit irritating to a guy like Fleck, over the long haul.

You're almost saying that the 10,000 real fans who have stuck with this program through very little thick and a ton of thin may not be good enough fans for Fleck? Give me those 10,000 over any other group of fans in this country.

This is the closest thing to a dynasty in the B1G West.

PJ Fleck has a high likelihood of achieving some thing these two coaches never did - win a national title if he can reach P5 recruiting level.
Hope i am wrong but i do not see him winning a national title here. Let's see of he can make a conference title game first, then win that.

Don't think for a minute that some well-known schools haven't taken a run at him already. The contract extensions certainly help, but even more than that is the fact that we have an A.D. that HIRED Fleck and has a great relationship with him and has given him everything he needs to make Minnesota a contender in the BIG10 and Nationally, which he has done in a mere 3 years. Fan support has been an issue in the past. Now we are FINALLY getting some Gopher buzz around town, including sellouts for the PSU and WI games last year. After seeing the way we played against Auburn, I firmly believe that we could have played with anybody in the country last year. The A.D., the President of the U, and the Board of Regents, are all finally on the same page, facilities have never been better. Let's hope the stars are finally aligned.

What they need is a perfect storm of excellent Gopher recruiting payoff in the year(s) that other top contenders have injuries or have huge number of players get drafted or graduate early.

You can bet Gopher teams under PJ Fleck will exploit weaknesses like they did against Auburn. They are not quite there yet with the recruiting level. But, it is coming. So, IMHO a national title is quite possible down the road. That is, if PJ Fleck stays for the long haul. I still think Minnesota is a perfect place for him.

So if he was using this as a stepping stone he would not be wasting his time recruiting? I dont get it. What would his recruiting look like if he wanted to leave for a helmet school?

Unfortunately Coronavirus at the wrong time. If we play a season this year I believe we'll have another big season 10 win maybe even 11. That is how he builds a legacy. I think we're the hot team and going to continue the momentum through this year. Another great year recruiting and we maybe will contend for national championship.

Hope i am wrong but i do not see him winning a national title here. Let's see of he can make a conference title game first, then win that.
I'm not sure you know Jack about FB and recruiting for FB. Coach Fleck has a very solid class coming in next year. I think that it will play out well. Much better than your WI BS for next year. I think MN will do well in FB during the next recruiting cycle. In fact, real well!! The recruits, aren't all 4* but they are solid players. Lets get them in the house and see what we have!! I totally believe he has the resources at MN to win the conference and move on to play for a natty. Tell me why in your not so humble and totally uneducated FB opinion why you see Coach Fleck not able to win a natty here. Or even your condescending conference title first??

I'm not sure you know Jack about FB and recruiting for FB. Coach Fleck has a very solid class coming in next year. I think that it will play out well. Much better than your WI BS for next year. I think MN will do well in FB during the next recruiting cycle. In fact, real well!! The recruits, aren't all 4* but they are solid players. Lets get them in the house and see what we have!! I totally believe he has the resources at MN to win the conference and move on to play for a natty. Tell me why in your not so humble and totally uneducated FB opinion why you see Coach Fleck not able to win a natty here. Or even your condescending conference title first??
You have got to be excited about next year's class and you have to like the fact each class looks like it is getting a little stronger, too. I have always said you build it one brick at a time. This class might not be able to take on Alabama for a national championship just yet, but it gives us the ability to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin for the West. If you start beating those teams, it enables you to get the recruits that can take on Ohio St. And if you can compete with Ohio St. you can start getting the recruits for the next level after that. In the meantime, you can win an awful lot of games and be a pretty successful football team.

You have got to be excited about next year's class and you have to like the fact each class looks like it is getting a little stronger, too. I have always said you build it one brick at a time. This class might not be able to take on Alabama for a national championship just yet, but it gives us the ability to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin for the West. If you start beating those teams, it enables you to get the recruits that can take on Ohio St. And if you can compete with Ohio St. you can start getting the recruits for the next level after that. In the meantime, you can win an awful lot of games and be a pretty successful football team.

If we get to the point where we are getting recruits that put us in a position to compete with Ohio State on a yearly basis, what level is there after that?

I agree with what you are saying I just think you might have an extra level in there.

With our relatively weak instate recruiting base to draw from it is going to be next to impossible for us to consistently compete on paper with the top dogs in recruiting (Alabama, Ohio State....) but if last year showed us anything it is that we don't need to recruit at that level to be successful. We just have to find the right players. The encouraging sign is that a caliber of athlete we are not used to seeing around here appears to be taking notice of us and jumping on board.

If we get to the point where we are getting recruits that put us in a position to compete with Ohio State on a yearly basis, what level is there after that?

I agree with what you are saying I just think you might have an extra level in there.

With our relatively weak instate recruiting base to draw from it is going to be next to impossible for us to consistently compete on paper with the top dogs in recruiting (Alabama, Ohio State....) but if last year showed us anything it is that we don't need to recruit at that level to be successful. We just have to find the right players. The encouraging sign is that a caliber of athlete we are not used to seeing around here appears to be taking notice of us and jumping on board.
Agreed the gap between Ohio St. and teams like Alabama/LSU/Clemson is razor thin, but it is enough to keep them out of the national championship the last 5 years. The main point is technically speaking the better we do on the field, the better athlete we should be able to get, which can translate to even better results and so on..

As I said earlier, this is not necessarily true. In 2003, the Gophers had a very nice 10-3 season under Coach Mason and Gopher fans were hoping for that next level up in recruiting. We never got it - the next class was pretty much the same as before and you could tell this was as good as it was going to get - we had reached that upper limit. I thought that Mason was complacent and maybe a little lazy because if he had really worked at it there he should have been able to bring in that next level of recruits. With Fleck however, I think he is still pushing the limits and the boundaries of who he is bringing in. I think he is hungry and the kids he is bringing in are buying into him as a coach who is going to get it done. These are very interesting -and exciting- times for Gopher fans!!

Agreed the gap between Ohio St. and teams like Alabama/LSU/Clemson is razor thin, but it is enough to keep them out of the national championship the last 5 years. The main point is technically speaking the better we do on the field, the better athlete we should be able to get, which can translate to even better results and so on..

As I said earlier, this is not necessarily true. In 2003, the Gophers had a very nice 10-3 season under Coach Mason and Gopher fans were hoping for that next level up in recruiting. We never got it - the next class was pretty much the same as before and you could tell this was as good as it was going to get - we had reached that upper limit. I thought that Mason was complacent and maybe a little lazy because if he had really worked at it there he should have been able to bring in that next level of recruits. With Fleck however, I think he is still pushing the limits and the boundaries of who he is bringing in. I think he is hungry and the kids he is bringing in are buying into him as a coach who is going to get it done. These are very interesting -and exciting- times for Gopher fans!!

Recruiting under Mason was a bit of a joke (especially later in his tenure). Once he didn't get the Ohio State job he really started phoning it in and recruiting was essentially Mitch Browning going after the guys he thought he could get with the entire focus on building up the offense as much as possible. Similar to the Kill years, if another good power 5 school wanted a kid it was more than likely that we were not going to get them.

So my old grad school roommate is one of the CFB writers for ESPN and we were texting today and I asked his thoughts on PJ's ongoing recruiting surge. Fair and interesting feedback from a national perspective:

"He's fun, they had a good season, he's a really good salesman. It makes sense. Let's see it long term. I've done a bunch of research on recruiting and it's near impossible to markedly change your recruiting status for more than a year or two. Oregon is the only team that's really done it in the last 25 years.

That said, no one in the B1G really recruits at a super high level other than Mich & Ohio St, so if he can just up the ante a little bit, it can put them in a really competitive position. Just gonna be hard to ever compete consistently with Mich & OSU."

Fleck builds bridges everywhere he goes. He doesn't burn them like Kill and others have done. If they don't like the way Fleck does things the public is informed about it. Fleck on the other hand, shrugs his shoulders and simply admits his way is not for everyone and he gets it all the while not burning bridges with players, coaches and the media.

I'm hoping he is here for the long haul as he and Heather have clearly built bridges with the fans here in Minnesota.

So my old grad school roommate is one of the CFB writers for ESPN and we were texting today and I asked his thoughts on PJ's ongoing recruiting surge. Fair and interesting feedback from a national perspective:

"He's fun, they had a good season, he's a really good salesman. It makes sense. Let's see it long term. I've done a bunch of research on recruiting and it's near impossible to markedly change your recruiting status for more than a year or two. Oregon is the only team that's really done it in the last 25 years.

That said, no one in the B1G really recruits at a super high level other than Mich & Ohio St, so if he can just up the ante a little bit, it can put them in a really competitive position. Just gonna be hard to ever compete consistently with Mich & OSU."
Penn State often out recruits Michigan, and have been top 15 the last 4 years with a 6th place finish as their best year in that span.

I would agree that no team in the West is recruiting at a top tier level though.

Recruiting under Mason was a bit of a joke (especially later in his tenure). Once he didn't get the Ohio State job he really started phoning it in and recruiting was essentially Mitch Browning going after the guys he thought he could get with the entire focus on building up the offense as much as possible. Similar to the Kill years, if another good power 5 school wanted a kid it was more than likely that we were not going to get them.
Mase was always a bit of a head scratcher to me. He came in after the disastrous Jim Wacker years so just about anything would be an improvement, and I liked him overall. However, he would do things that just confounded common sense sometimes and his "if the phone rings I gotta answer it" schtick blew up a few recruiting classes. His offense was outstanding and it was my favorite offense the Gophers ever ran up until last season. For whatever reason, he never had that great defense or recruited very well at it and was subject to late game meltdowns. If he would have had Jerry Kill's defense along with his offense he would have made it to a few Rose Bowls. Rose Bowl offense plus Music City Bowl defense equals -- The Music City Bowl -- lol.

Overall though -- I liked Glen Mason and wouldn't mind having a good conversation with the guy. He is also an exceptional analyst and I enjoy watching him on the Big Ten Network.

To me, the reasons for P.J. to stay are pretty obvious:

— It's a B1G job. You can't move up much beyond the B1G. Maybe the SEC; but I think Fleck's a Midwestern boy.

— It's a perfect situation from the point of view of someone who, like Fleck, wants to truly put his own stamp on a Power 5 program, and build it in his own way. He's certainly doing that.

— It's a great area to raise a family. I know that gets said often, but it's true.

— He will get a statue. By the way, Warmath should have a statue, and so should Bierman.

— Name me another job that would be a step up, that would meet all the above criteria, and would have an opening in the near future. Go on; I dare ya!

The only way I see him leaving is if a school like Notre Dame calls, and even then I doubt it would tempt him all that much; he'd be just another coach in a long line of coaches who have had success there. At Minnesota, he can be our Alvarez... and more. That opportunity doesn't exist at Notre Dame, at least not in the same way.

The only worry I have is our own Minnesota Scandinavian stoicism, which almost becomes ritualistic. Some Minnesotans have a weird need to forecast only gloom, and then when faced with real success to minimize it rather than go all-in on celebrating. It's like they have a hard time allowing themselves to feel really happy. I'm talking about the whole, "Ya, not too bad, could be worse" Minnesota thing. I could see that sort of mentality becoming a little bit irritating to a guy like Fleck, over the long haul.
Agree 100%

Minnesota will need to pay him to keep him if he performs at expectations this season. Probably looking at a 20-25% pay bump at minimum.

Take all your shots at what you think about my knowledge of football recruiting. For the record i cheer for the Gophers to crush UW, it just rarely happens. Said i hope to be wrong about winning the national title here but i can get closer to buying it when i see at least a conference title. Does not mean that i am not behind Fleck 100% because i am. Just not a champion to me until you are. Lets win the Big 10 this year, if there is a this year. When someone posts a different take on a situation that does not fit your narrative do you think it serves a conversation well to put them down ?

Two years ago we were 7-6, and now we have GHer's arguing if we can win a national title or not. Another good sign that PJ is doing a great job. Go Gophers!

Penn State often out recruits Michigan, and have been top 15 the last 4 years with a 6th place finish as their best year in that span.

I would agree that no team in the West is recruiting at a top tier level though.
I think what could push us past that "ceiling" of B1G West recruiting is how well P.J. is doing across the entire country. Iowa and Wisconsin do extremely well in recruiting and developing in the Midwest with maybe a couple of guys from elsewhere each year. The talent to be found in the Midwest is finite. P.J. is targeting guys who we wouldn't have even glanced at in prior years. Not only is it great for getting these talented guys now, but it's laying down the groundwork for some serious pipelines down the road.

The CFP era has taught us that in order to make it to that upper echelon, you need pure talent. You need athletic players everywhere. Obviously, you need good coaching as well. I can't think of a team that made the CFP using the Wisconsin/Iowa method. Again, they're both great at doing what they do, and it's what has allowed them to be consistently at the top level of our division. But it feels like they're at their ceiling.

Iowa and Wisconsin recruit to win the division. Minnesota is recruiting to do more than that. Time will tell if we can get there.

Top Bottom