PJ Fleck Appreciation Thread

SonoranGopher1

Reaction score
PJ Fleck is the best Head Football Coach for the Minnesota Gophers since…any head coach ever. You look at Bierman as the last time a coach that has had a better winning percentage and that was about 80 years ago. He has recruited, coached, and built a continual conference championship contending program. RTB!

Yep. PJ is not flawless, and he’s not Nick Saban, but more than ever with this program I feel like we have a chance to win every time we take the field. In the end, I watch these games for fun and entertainment, and the occasional celebratory moment, and PJ and his teams have given me all of that.

At his introductory presser - people just wanted him beat Sconnie . . . even once. He is making it a regular occurrence - but it’s not “pretty” enough for a lot of dolts on this board.

Our record vs Iowa is abominable and worthy of criticism, and I agree. But . . .

Beating the skunks regularly again is reeeeeally satisfying!!!

PJ Fleck is the best Head Football Coach for the Minnesota Gophers since…any head coach ever. You look at Bierman as the last time a coach that has had a better winning percentage and that was about 80 years ago. He has recruited, coached, and built a continual conference championship contending program. RTB!

He’s not perfect by any means, but the data shows he’s a good coach and that means he can continue to improve and get better - just like non- football coaches do in their vocations. Do you realize the number of great coaches is probably ~15% in all CFB.

Every body this year was worried about the D and OL and amazingly they both performed well - beating expectations.

AK is the real deal and Brockington and Green (safety) look promising as all get out. Also I think Wright will be jacked to play with AK and give us a reliable vertical threat - he just hasn’t played a lot.

The cupboard is much more full than we can comprehend and PJ now has a QB to have a true effective passing game to compliment to rushing part.

I see 8-9 wins as the new normal and every 4 years we’ll compete a level higher than that. I’d much rather be us than many other teams in our conference and nationally.

Last edited:

Yep. PJ is not flawless, and he’s not Nick Saban, but more than ever with this program I feel like we have a chance to win every time we take the field. In the end, I watch these games for fun Naiand entertainment, and the occasional celebratory moment, and PJ and his teams have given me all of that.
Nailed it

He’s not perfect by any means, but the data shows he’s a good coach and that means he can continue to improve and get better - just like non- football coaches do in their vocations. Do you realize the number of great coaches is probably ~15% in all CFB.

Every body this year was worried about the D and OL and amazingly they both performed well - Bering expectations.

AK us the real deal and Brockington and Green (safety) look promising as all get out. Also I think Wright will be hacked to play with AK and give us a reliable vertical threat - he just hasn’t played a lot.

The cupboard is much more full than we can comprehend and PJ now has a QB to have a true effective passing game to compliment to rushing part.

I see 8-9 wins as the new normal and every 4 years we’ll compete a level higher than that. I’m much rather be us than many other teams in our conference and nationally.
I think next year will be a challenge.

But I agree with everything else.

Best combination of being fully engaged and knowing what he's doing that we've had going way, way back.

Curious to see if and how the offense changes with Ibrahim moving on and Kaliakmanis becoming the first-string QB.

PJ is a step above any coach in my lifetime. He needs to improve some things to make another jump, but the program is on a very solid foundation.

RTB, Ski U Mah, and Go Gophers

This. PJ has figured out how to beat the hated Fadgers and has had winning BG10 seasons 3 of the last 4 years (counting the pandemic anomaly), something no coach MN coach has done in a long time. Now...time for PJ to figure how to extract the pickle in his ass which is Iowa.

Not true....there are only a small handful of very vocal morons that want Fleck fired.

He has his flaws, all coaches do, but he is the best coach the U has had in a long long long time and I hope he is here for many more years.
There were multiple threads about him getting fired

Didn’t he come into the BIG the same year as Brohm? How do you compare him to Brohm? We have had good wins with PJ but also bad losses - especially this year - I want PJ to stay but he does frustrate me - we were not prepared to play in the Purdue, ILL, NEB and Iowa games this year (fell behind by double digits early in each of these games) - we also got run out by Penn St - so while we had a good win today - on balance we continue to be an above average team - living comfortably with the rest of the middle of the pack - we will get a bowl game vs an opponent in a similar spot with similar aspirations - we are comparable to maybe 15 or so other P5 programs. Which puts PJ on a similar pedestal with several other P5 coaches.

Didn’t he come into the BIG the same year as Brohm? How do you compare him to Brohm? We have had good wins with PJ but also bad losses - especially this year - I want PJ to stay but he does frustrate me - we were not prepared to play in the Purdue, ILL, NEB and Iowa games this year (fell behind by double digits early in each of these games) - we also got run out by Penn St - so while we had a good win today - on balance we continue to be an above average team - living comfortably with the rest of the middle of the pack - we will get a bowl game vs an opponent in a similar spot with similar aspirations - we are comparable to maybe 15 or so other P5 programs. Which puts PJ on a similar pedestal with several other P5 coaches.
He is better and has won more than Brohm. Brohm has had more bad losses than PJ

Not true....there are only a small handful of very vocal morons that want Fleck fired.

He has his flaws, all coaches do, but he is the best coach the U has had in a long long long time and I hope he is here for many more years.

Exactly!

Let's not lump all posters together. Yes, there are people here who have been calling for Fleck's head. But there are also plenty of Gopher Hole regulars who are much more level-headed, and have been pointing out the positive trajectory of the program under P.J.

There were multiple threads about him getting fired
Multiple threads sure, but the group that wants/wanted him fired is still very small. They just like to yell a lot and since things went badly against Iowa it gave them the perfect opportunity to come in here and bitch and moan.

Fleck is the only person capable of changing my opinion of him.
I hope he does. but I have high expectations.

Glad he beat WI back to back, and hopefully will let this kid throw the ball in the future. PJ choked away Purdue and Iowa though. Will be interesting to see what happens when PJ doesn’t have the benefit of playing a Big Ten West schedule every year. Look back at Mason’s last four years and the schedule was brutal compared to anything PJ has faced in the West. Still fun to win the axe again.

Multiple threads sure, but the group that wants/wanted him fired is still very small. They just like to yell a lot and since things went badly against Iowa it gave them the perfect opportunity to come in here and bitch and moan.

There it is. Exactly.

They are wrong, but I guess if you're going to be wrong, you might as well be loud, too.

Yep. PJ is not flawless, and he’s not Nick Saban, but more than ever with this program I feel like we have a chance to win every time we take the field. In the end, I watch these games for fun and entertainment, and the occasional celebratory moment, and PJ and his teams have given me all of that.
That’s really a phenomenal attitude about watching any sport. Enjoy the game and if you have some fun games and big moments that’s all we can ask for. That’s a great post.

Top Bottom