PJ Coaching with is 7 - 1 in three years with extra time to prepare for games.

gophernut1

Reaction score
We are 3-0 to start the seasons, and in season an amazing 7 - 1 in season.

With more than a week to prepare:

2017 - Oregon State - Outcome W48 - 14
2018 - Fresno State - W21-14, Iowa L31-48, Georgia Tech W34-10
2019 - Fresno State W38 - 35, W Penn State 35 - 31, W Auburn 31- 24

I think it is telling to the type of coach PJ is. One could argue he has his offense prepared in big ways and if not for the disaster of the defense in 2018 we would be undefeated with extra time to prepare for games. Just an observation over the last 3 years of how PJ is not just a good personality, but a person who knows his X's and O's as well as how to get kids to play at their best.

I feel like we largely start the season pretty slow so ... not sure I agree with the conclusions here.

It certainly doesn't tell me anything about PJ's involvement in Xs and Os.

We cannot start slow next season! Iowa in week 2!

Not sure I would really count the games where we played on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend (week 1) and then played again right away on week 2 Saturday. That's just a few extra days.

The important ones to me are the Big Ten games coming off a full bye week, and the bowl games.

The 2018 Iowa game ... meh. Faalele hadn't even been named a starter yet, and Annexstad was still the QB (17-33 218yd 3td 3int 5sack in that game).

The GT bowl game, Penn St game, and Auburn game have been three hugely important wins, that PJ and staff have delivered on.

I feel like we largely start the season pretty slow so ... not sure I agree with the conclusions here.

It certainly doesn't tell me anything about PJ's involvement in Xs and Os.

I've attributed the slow starts on offensive with the offensive line. Even though they seemed to have had improved late in the 2018 season it didn't carry over to the beginning of 2019. A quicker start in 2020 (beating Auburn is pretty quick) may come as a result of the cohesion on the offensive line. They might get even better in 2021........

Have to start fast next year, but we should with all the offensive power coming back. BYU, Iowa, WI, MI all by mid October. 5 of first 7 were in bowl games. Final five opponents were 25-37 this year.

The Georgia Tech game was one of the largest disparities in game plan advantage I’ve ever seen.

Wazzu was really good. But I think there was more of a combination of motivation and scheme. There were plays against Georgia tech where our wideouts occupied 3 defenders and had safeties literally running away from the running backs on long run plays.

I think this is more evidence that the Fleck era has a lot more substance than the slogans and public perception indicate. There’s plenty of strategy too.

We heard similar rumors about his WMU teams, that scouts expected a bunch of fluff at his practices and were surprised what a tight boat they rowed.

The Georgia Tech game was one of the largest disparities in game plan advantage I’ve ever seen.

Wazzu was really good. But I think there was more of a combination of motivation and scheme. There were plays against Georgia tech where our wideouts occupied 3 defenders and had safeties literally running away from the running backs on long run plays.

Given the talent gap, I’d have a hard time putting any gameplan above either Penn State or Auburn. Those teams were thoroughly outcoached. On the other side of the coin, we were outcoached by Wisconsin this year. It was embarrassing.

Given the talent gap, I’d have a hard time putting any gameplan above either Penn State or Auburn. Those teams were thoroughly outcoached. On the other side of the coin, we were outcoached by Wisconsin this year. It was embarrassing.
I’m talking about scheme not execution.
Half of coaching is getting your guys to execute at a high level. Half the thing is having a plan.
The Georgia tech plan was one of the best offensive game plans I’ve ever seen. Really fun to watch.

You missed 2017 Maryland L24-31 after the bye.

Crap - I was even at that game. 2017 and 2018 Maryland games where some of the worst defensive coaching I ever saw. They just ran sweeps over and over and our linebackers were always out of position and gave up 20+ yard runs.

Top Bottom