PJ bowl winning streak at 5 and he is #1 all time for Gopher coach bowl wins.

Very interesting! Thanks for the history.

I disagree that 1998 to 2019 was the best era, but would like to know more about why you think it is?

I think this era will turn out better once a few major NIL and portal bugs are worked out. With NIL & especially the portal, more teams will be relevant for the national title each year because it will be harder to load up talent three deep in great recruiting areas. A few key injuries or transfers are now more likely to knock a perennial power off their perch. As a fan of college football overall, that's a positive (not the injuries) even if it isn't for the Gophers right now.
Mainly because I was alive and the access to games was ridiculous

BUT

Consistency of rosters really helped you know college football. Harder than 2018 to follow who is where.

I also think it’s funny when people say that C Woodson is the only defensive player to win the heisman. Every player pre 1963 was a defensive player too

saw this list - reposting it just for fun - Gopher Football all-time Bowl game record
(some bowls have changed names, so including the old and new names)

24 games: overall record 12-12

Insight/Guaranteed Rate: 1-3
Quick Lane: 3-0
Music City: 2-1
Rose: 1-1
Sun: 1-1
Outback/ReliaQuest: 1-0
Holiday: 1-0
Pinstripe: 1-0
Independence: 1-0
Citrus: 0-1
Liberty: 0-1
Micron PC/Pop-Tarts: 0-1
Car Care/Duke's Mayo: 0-1
Texas: 0-1
Hall of Fame: 0-1
A technicality: the old version of the Car Care Bowl of Texas and the Texas Bowl are the same. The newer version of the Car Care/Mayo is different. Still 0-2.

Your criticism of his posts seems reasonable.

But we have to consider the good things he brings to GH.

Like putting so many lines between each sentence.

Is that helpful for the reader, or is it more annoying? Nobody can really say.

But I will say this:

I'd rather read his thoughts than watch Mpls spam up every thread any day of the week.

😂😂😂 to all of this

In the almost 50 years since he retired, no NCAA basketball coach has accomplished what John Wooden did at UCLA and I don't expect anyone in my remaining life to come very close.
Because we now know that he was the most massive cheater in CBB history.

Fleck definitely an above average P5 coach as he has been able to win 5 bowls in a row and had more winning than losing seasons. Not useful to compare bowl record to pre-1990s when bowls greatly expanded. He underachieved in terms of the division structure as he was really the main beneficiary of having a West division, but he never won it. And as much as Gopherholers llike to gripe about being passed over during bowl selection, Fleck has benefitted from that as you’re more likely to win a lower tier bowl against a lower tier 6-7 win opponent which they all were aside from the quality Outback win.

I think the conundrum for many is exactly that he’s above average. Which includes the term “average” and you’re faced with good but not great seasons, second tier bowl games and no championships. Would you rather have a flash in the pan guy who’s here a few years and gets you a B1G championship or playoff appearance and then bolts, or many many years of 6-9 win seasons with Fleck but no championships? Maybe with the advent of the 12 team playoff there will be an achievable goal to shoot for.

You don't think Mason would have won five early-mid 2000's equivalents of .... [checks notes] the Quick Lane Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and Guaranteed Rate Bowl ??

Come on...

SON coming in with some hard hitting knowledge that Fleck hasn’t won a national title or big ten title. 😂
Yeah, pretty bad metric. So is bowl games tho 🤷‍♂️

Four years ago today Fleck delivered me and many of us the greatest win we'd seen to that point in our Gopher lifetimes in the Auburn win (everybody and their mother thought we were going to get STOMPED). I'll take Wisconsin and Iowa wins over that any time but holy shit was that season so fucking special after all of the shit we ate for so many years. He's always going to be my fav Gopher coach until whatever next one surpasses him, unless he ends up being some kind of sex trafficking, domestic violence enabler. That's pretty much the only way. There's no cheating the dude can do that's anywhere worse than what the NCAA allows with this portal and NIL bullshit. And I don't think he'd ever sink to that level anyways.

There are 3 active BG10 coaches that have won a BG10 title, so I'm not going to use that metric as a benchmark for MN. The spread between haves and have-nots has widened in the past decade for whatever reason to the point that even Penn State can't compete with OSU and MI. Not obtaining an outright West title (co-title 2019) is a knock on Fleck. Ciarrocca, Rossi and by extension Fleck were thoroughly outcoached in the 2019 snow-bowl game vs. Wisconsin which held them out of the Rose Bowl that year. That said, Fleck has been the best coach in 50+ years.

As for college football eras, to me, the best era started in 1992 (the year the 85 scholarship limit spread the wealth somewhat) and ended in 2019 (before the open portal ruined things).

There are 3 active BG10 coaches that have won a BG10 title, so I'm not going to use that metric as a benchmark for MN. The spread between haves and have-nots has widened in the past decade for whatever reason to the point that even Penn State can't compete with OSU and MI. Not obtaining an outright West title (co-title 2019) is a knock on Fleck. Ciarrocca, Rossi and by extension Fleck were thoroughly outcoached in the 2019 snow-bowl game vs. Wisconsin which held them out of the Rose Bowl that year. That said, Fleck has been the best coach in 50+ years.

As for college football eras, to me, the best era started in 1992 (the year the 85 scholarship limit spread the wealth somewhat) and ended in 2019 (before the open portal ruined things).
To me, the key to the snow-bowl game was when it started snowing, Wisconsin stepped on the offensive gas and passed more as if they wanted to score as many points as they could before the conditions severely deteriorated. Minnesota did not have the same urgency at that point in the game.

To me, the key to the snow-bowl game was when it started snowing, Wisconsin stepped on the offensive gas and passed more as if they wanted to score as many points as they could before the conditions severely deteriorated. Minnesota did not have the same urgency at that point in the game.

Wisconsin definitely adjusted their offense to the slippery conditions. They tried running power football the first set of downs or so (if I recall correctly), it didn't work, then they they reverted to doing a lot of change-of-direction plays to take advantage of the slippery field. On top of that, the refs were allowing the DBs to get extremely physical with the receivers which negated MNs regular passing attack. KC and Rossi never adjusted to take advantage of those situations until it was way too late.

How about getting us to a new years day bowl, something he has failed at.

Mason did beat Alabama and Oregon in bowl games!

I was at the Y2K Sun Bowl game vs Oregon. Other than Joey Harrington leading the Ducks to a game ending score to win, it was a blast. My wife painted a maroon M on my cheeks that got sunburned, so I was walking around with a white M on my right cheek for a couple weeks. Good times.

You don't think Mason would have won five early-mid 2000's equivalents of .... [checks notes] the Quick Lane Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and Guaranteed Rate Bowl ??

Come on...
He could’ve won all 7 that he made if he could’ve held onto second half leads. Instead he only won 3.

The title of this thread says much more about Minnesota coaching ineptitude than it says about Coach Fleck's ability

He could’ve won all 7 that he made if he could’ve held onto second half leads. Instead he only won 3.
It’s a pretty ridiculous question. Mason went to a bunch of bowls of similar quality and went 3-4.

Top Bottom