PJ and Prime College Football Recruiting Perspective Discussion

You got a lot of holes in your essay. Justin Jefferson is a bad example for argument.
Without his brothers blazing his trail he may be working in a bank or restaurant.
No Stars to Superstar
It's an hour long phone call...there is something to what you are saying but it's not that black and white. There is a lot of gray. Lots...maybe the majority of coaches cannot evaluate.
Do Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State live at the top of the recruitings? Do they compete for the playoffs every year?
Of course it is not that black and white. That is why I said, it is part performance, part marketing.

That is also why these recruiting class rankings are also not black and white. As far as I can tell, they simply add up the scores and those with the most points win.

Nebraska had 21 commits with an average of 87.17 per recruit. Minnesota had 21 commits with an average of 86.50. Statistically the players are more or less equivalent.

Nebraska #28 (212.10 total points)
Minnesota #40 (199.97 total points)

We're going to get killed. Those 12 subjective recruiting points make all the difference. :)

This probably makes the AD look the worst. Take it with a grain of salt as I can’t say it’s been verified or anything.

The AD fired the coach a couple games into the season. They had a group of players he wanted to keep involved without knowing who the next coach was. It's pretty common the coach picks and chooses who he is keeping from the recruits committed to the previous coach. The part that is unusual is what the AD did the talking in this case...usually somebody like the recruiting coordinator is holding the class together until the new coach arrives...not typical the AD is the communicator.
Deion kept some got rid of most. Happens often.
PJ if my memory is correct kept most when he took over? But it was a different time too...He got the job in January and kids signed in February. On the other hand, PJ took all his best Western Michigan recruits to Minnesota leaving them with nothing. Pretty much the entire class. Prime took a couple transfers and one or two JSU recruits.

Of course it is not that black and white. That is why I said, it is part performance, part marketing.

That is also why these recruiting class rankings are also not black and white. As far as I can tell, they simply add up the scores and those with the most points win.

Nebraska had 21 commits with an average of 87.17 per recruit. Minnesota had 21 commits with an average of 86.50. Statistically the players are more or less equivalent.

Nebraska #28 (212.10 total points)
Minnesota #40 (199.97 total points)

We're going to get killed. Those 12 subjective recruiting points make all the difference. :)
I agree with that...the difference between their class and ours is completely unknown...its close.
The difference to me are playmakers...we signed Bateman, we signed Mo. You need a guy or two per year who scores touchdowns, who is the face of the team. We are usually pretty anonymous.
More of the diamonds in the rough need emerge for PJ

coaching is important.

player development is important.

but the raw material is important, too.

Gophers have been able to get good athletes. But ironically, a school like MN is not going to get the 'elite' athletes, or at least is not going to get many of them.

Yes, every 4* recruit is not going to become a star. But given a choice, I'd rather start with 10 4* recruits as opposed to 2 4* recruits.

that is the talent gap that a school like MN has to try and overcome with coaching and development. Is it possible - Yes. Is it easy - No.

coaching is important.

player development is important.

but the raw material is important, too.

Gophers have been able to get good athletes. But ironically, a school like MN is not going to get the 'elite' athletes, or at least is not going to get many of them.

Yes, every 4* recruit is not going to become a star. But given a choice, I'd rather start with 10 4* recruits as opposed to 2 4* recruits.

that is the talent gap that a school like MN has to try and overcome with coaching and development. Is it possible - Yes. Is it easy - No.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but in my opinion with more stars comes more ego, which can impact coachability and development based on the player's attitude alone. I'd rather have two 4 stars and ten 3 stars who all have an understanding that success is bred through hard work and determination than ten 4 stars who have had people telling them they're the best their whole lives and absolutely fold when they face adversity such as positional competition and won't have everything handed to them.

Obviously this is all subjective, but I trust that, while we may not be bringing in a ton of guys with future NFL talent, we're bringing in guys who are going to work their butts off to help the program have success and, as we've seen in many cases in recent years, use that hard work and effort coming from a "less desirable" star level to get us some memorable seasons and get onto an active roster spot in the NFL once they graduate.

I'd have to agree with those but lots of players who go to Minnesota live here for many years
after they graduate. Does that happen in Nebraska?
Post career opportunities are overwhelming in our favor. Business in general and Fortune 500 companies.
Pro sports teams to follow and connect with.
The outdoors opportunities here vs Nebraska. The variety of experiences. Corn maze in Nebraska probably only fun once.
The cultural and shopping opportunities again are overwhelming in our favor.
I'm not the recruiting guy but everything but fan base and dedicated athletic department we blow them away. And I think athletic department factor and fan base was a bigger deal before all the teams get $100 million dollars.
In short we have a ton of advantages they do not.
Apparently Sid had a twin brother...you really think they care about 90% of that stuff? Do you also think that every player that spurns us will never work in this town again? :ROFLMAO:

Ya, live for today, right? Nobody ever graduates. Nice counseling. Great mentorship.
Or move to Nebraska if you don't think Minnesota is superior.
Ah yes, straw man has entered the chat!

Top Bottom