Pitts Pat Narduzzi Thinks if Pitt was in The B1G Pitt Would Win the B1G championship Every Year.

The Penn State football program more or less assumed it would be winning the B1G at least every other year (not once a decade) when joined the B1G in 1990 - Nebraska fans also assumed the same before joining in 2010

Last edited:

The Penn State football program more or less assumed it would be winning the B1G at least every other year (not once a decade) when joined the B1G in the 1980's - Nebraska fans also assumed the same before joining in 2010
PSU joined in 1991, around the same time as Arkansas (SWC) and South Carolina (Independent) joined the SEC and Florida State (Independent) joined the ACC.

I've read other places (might just be hearsay) that Paterno for years had wanted to create an Eastern conference of the major independent football programs (Syracuse, WV, Pitt, BC, PSU, VT, Miami,etc.).

Possibly, the Big Ten invited PSU to prevent the formation of that. If PSU had anchored such a conference, it might still be around today.

As to Narduzzi .... he was Mark Dantonio's DC at Cincinnati for 2004-06 and then again at Michigan State for 2007-2014.

So I think it is possibly just a bit of bitterness about how the bowl game worked out, since he didn't get to have Pickett and then the backup QB went out in the first quarter. MSU had a terrible pass defense last year, so they didn't get to take advantage of that.

His actual quote was:
“If that was one of the best Big Ten teams last year,” Narduzzi proclaimed, “then let’s go to the Big Ten and win it every year.”

To me that just reads like a continuation of being pissed off about how the bowl game went.

That has always been the rub against Narduzzi at Pitt, great defense (of course), but meh offense.

Last edited:

I remembered a few of the major ones, but it is wild how many there were that I had forgotten, including much of the modern ACC
Right, because a lot of those went to the Big East, which formed after Penn St went to the Big Ten.
And then a lot of those ended up in the ACC today.

Narduzzi's results against B1G opponents since becoming the HC at Pitt

2015 @ Iowa 24-27 L
2016 PSU 42-39 W
2016 NW (bow) 24-31 L
2017 @ PSU 14-33 L
2018 PSU 6-51 L
2019 @ PSU 10-17 L
2021 MSU (Bowl) 21-31 L
The Penn St win was nice but he followed that up by losing to NW the same season and hasn't won since.

Penn St was 11 and 3 and won the Big Ten in 2016.

Narduzzi was just in post game frustration mode...his wife teases him about his dumb comment....prolly

Pitt had a good team last year. Maybe their best team ever. They were the best team in the ACC. But they still wouldn’t have finished among the Top 5 in the Big 10.

And that’s the real reason Notre Dame wants to remain independent (but play 5 ACC opponents every year).

Pitt had a good team last year. Maybe their best team ever. They were the best team in the ACC. But they still wouldn’t have finished among the Top 5 in the Big 10.

And that’s the real reason Notre Dame wants to remain independent (but play 5 ACC opponents every year).
Johnny Majors says hi.

If Pitt joined the Big Ten, I would definitely bet on them finishing last and getting the coach fired before they ever even attended the conference championship. Or won it. Even once.

Pitt is a massive medical science and technology research school, would fit right in with the Big Ten that way. 3hr drive on the interstate to Columbus. You'd think they would have developed a rivalry with Ohio St, but they were never in the Big Ten. City is great to visit, great sports town.

But at this point with the way things are, it's tough to think they'd be able to bring $80-100M/year of football TV value with them to warrant an invite. Really that's a tall order for any school left.

Didn’t they lose to Western Michigan at home last year? Seems pretty delusional to think they could win the Big 10.

The Penn State football program more or less assumed it would be winning the B1G at least every other year (not once a decade) when joined the B1G in the 1980's - Nebraska fans also assumed the same before joining in 2010
And at least PSU and Nebby had some history of winning programs at the time.

It is one of the reasons why ND is afraid to join the B1G, they will be given a dose of reality.

And with only 18 bowl games in 1989, it actually meant something to be invited to play (now there are around 45 - many of which are just "participation ribbons" - no offense gopher fans.....)
a ribbon that Nebraska has not received for years.....

As a Wake fan who had to suffer though getting beat down in the ACC championship by his team, this jackassery doesn’t surprise me. He was a huge tool about Picket’s fake slide stunt.

Pat Narduzzi has one career win in seven games against Big Ten teams.

As to Narduzzi .... he was Mark Dantonio's DC at Cincinnati for 2004-06 and then again at Michigan State for 2007-2014.

So I think it is possibly just a bit of bitterness about how the bowl game worked out, since he didn't get to have Pickett and then the backup QB went out in the first quarter. MSU had a terrible pass defense last year, so they didn't get to take advantage of that.

His actual quote was:
“If that was one of the best Big Ten teams last year,” Narduzzi proclaimed, “then let’s go to the Big Ten and win it every year.”

To me that just reads like a continuation of being pissed off about how the bowl game went.

That has always been the rub against Narduzzi at Pitt, great defense (of course), but meh offense.
Implying that the team that beat you in a bowl game wasn't very good doesn't exactly scream endless Big 10 titles. But you do you Narduzzi. :rolleyes:

Implying that the team that beat you in a bowl game wasn't very good doesn't exactly scream endless Big 10 titles. But you do you Narduzzi. :rolleyes:
Even Rutgers and Northwestern could beat them.

Pitt in B1G = Nebraska 2.0. Narduzi would never know what hit him.

Top Bottom