pitino's saving grace =

Go4

Reaction score
ad situation.

if there was a full time ad, pitino may be gone this week. the last two games show that this team has completely given up on him. 25 at home to northwestern, down 35 to a bad nebraska team. this is disgusting.

pitino should be grateful for the ad mess.

I bet that if Beth went to the president and said she wants to fire him, Pitino would get fired.

If Beth wants to show she can do the job, she has an opportunity here...

ad situation.

if there was a full time ad, pitino may be gone this week. the last two games show that this team has completely given up on him. 25 at home to northwestern, down 35 to a bad nebraska team. this is disgusting.

pitino should be grateful for the ad mess.

You could be right. However, in the poll on the best hire ever, Clem Haskins got some votes and he suffered many such blowouts his first few years here and even some in later down years. The thing that is saving Pitino right now is that the team is very young - I think we had 14 points tonight from jrs and seniors and 10 of them were King in junk time- and we have another good class coming.

If Beth wants to show she can do the job, she has an opportunity here...

I think it's up to the president, trustees, and big donors. At this point, she'll probably do whatever the president directs her to do.

The thing that is saving Pitino right now is that the team is very young - I think we had 14 points tonight from jrs and seniors and 10 of them were King in junk time- and we have another good class coming.

Do you think the powers that be still trust this guy to do anything significant with next year's freshmen? Look, this talent on this team isn't as bad as they've shown in recent weeks. This coach has lost the team. At this point, I'm not even sure that some of the players aren't deliberately sabotaging Pitino.

I think it's up to the president, trustees, and big donors. At this point, she'll probably do whatever the president directs her to do.

A leader doesn't wait to be told what to do. Maturi let Bruinicks order him to fire Mason even though it was January and would be a disaster.

Well, that one sucked.

I posted the other day that if he can get the team in the top half of the BIG standings next year he's Houdini. Now I say if he makes it to next year he's Houdini.

I'd give him at least another 3 or 4 years....you have to give him a chance to get 5 or 6 recruiting classes in before you can make a judgement.....especially with the difficulties there are at the University of Minnesota. There is no doubt in my mind that if we give him 10 years we will consistently be in the top 3 of the B1G.

WOW....I don't know what is most embarrassing....losing to at home South Dakota and Milwaukee, getting blown out at home to South Dakota State and Northwestern, or being down to Nebraska by 39 with about 6 minutes left in the game. Look at that group of teams I just listed!!! I turned it to State of the Union coverage during the second half. I remember when Golden Gopher Big Ten Basketball was the best part of the winter....now no one even cares about it anymore.

If you can not get to the NCAA by year 4 with a top 4 conference finish your simply not a special coach.

Do you think the powers that be still trust this guy to do anything significant with next year's freshmen? Look, this talent on this team isn't as bad as they've shown in recent weeks. This coach has lost the team. At this point, I'm not even sure that some of the players aren't deliberately sabotaging Pitino.

I think the coach has probably lost the juniors and seniors- which isn't losing much by the way. I don't think he has lost the young guys at all. Again, I don't think some of you were around in the early days of Clem when he was losing Big Ten games by and average of 15 points per game. Clem was a great coach with bad players at the time. Pitino did pretty well his first year here. Face it - this is a bad team. I don't think we know much about Pitino as a coach at the moment- except that he is coaching a bad, bad team that is very young. What happened tonight- you can't coach that badly.

The AD situation is a big factor but I'd say the incoming recruiting class plus the 2 transfers sitting out is also part of what will bye him at least another season.

You could be right. However, in the poll on the best hire ever, Clem Haskins got some votes and he suffered many such blowouts his first few years here and even some in later down years. The thing that is saving Pitino right now is that the team is very young - I think we had 14 points tonight from jrs and seniors and 10 of them were King in junk time- and we have another good class coming.

In Clem Haskins' third year we made the Sweet 16....in his 4th year we almost made the Final 4. To cherry pick a few blow outs to make a positive comparisons to Clem Haskins is one of the worst arguments you can make. Haskins brought excitement back to the program his first few years at Minnesota.

I think the coach has probably lost the juniors and seniors- which isn't losing much by the way. I don't think he has lost the young guys at all. Again, I don't think some of you were around in the early days of Clem when he was losing Big Ten games by and average of 15 points per game. Clem was a great coach with bad players at the time. Pitino did pretty well his first year here. Face it - this is a bad team. I don't think we know much about Pitino as a coach at the moment- except that he is coaching a bad, bad team that is very young. What happened tonight- you can't coach that badly.

Dan Monson took over a program truly in shambles. All of his first three teams would beat this team handily. There is little doubt in my mind that Monson is a better coach than Pitino. That's all I really need to know.

Pitino may be a good coach some day. He isn't now. And you don't get to learn on the job in the B1G. It's over, IMO. It's just a question of whether we pull the plug in March 2016 or March 2017.

Also, I think Clem's teams played hard. Richard's team this year, not so much.

The lack of shooters is disheartening

And yes I watched those teams...Haskins came to the University of Minnesota right after the Mitch Lee Scandal...he had to totally rebuild the program. He had help from a good class that Dutcher recruited...but he built the program from a much worse situation than Pitino inherited.

And yes I watched those teams...Haskins came to the University of Minnesota right after the Mitch Lee Scandal...he had to totally rebuild the program. He had help from a good class that Dutcher recruited...but he built the program from a much worse situation than Pitino inherited.

It is also worth noting that in Clem's third year he took the team to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA.

No the talent is that bad. All you need to do is look at the shooting. This is one of the worst shooting teams ive ever seen. Those that told me i was a fool for being nervous that pitino said king was our best shooter owe me an apology. They cant hit the broadside of a barn. Not only that but they dont defend or rebound and make way too many unforced turnovers. If they cant shoot they should at least be able to defend and rebound but they dont.

Clem's first two years were bad, but not this bad.

The potential of Pitino's young players is being overhyped. Murphy is the real deal. Beyond that, I don't see any future difference makers.

Next year's talent upgrade hopefully will result in a dramatic change in our fortunes, but the last six quarters of Gopher's basketball may be the worst I've ever seen in my many years as a fan. There has been no energy, no discipline, and no focus. Many have said that this was going to be a challenging season, and that we would have to be content with improvement in our young players. And for awhile I thought that was happening. We showed some competitiveness at times, such as in the Michigan State game. But that seems to be a thing of the past. I think the chances are very good that we won't win another game this year. I don't see much to be gained by making a coaching change before the end of the season, but I certainly think that the new AD, whoever he or she might be, needs to take a hard look at the situation, soon thereafter.

The AD situation is a big factor but I'd say the incoming recruiting class plus the 2 transfers sitting out is also part of what will bye him at least another season.

Who in their right mind would come to Minnesota to play for this joker? I'll be absolutely shocked if we don't get a recruit or two or ? that doesn't decommit.

It's not what year you are in, it's where the cycle is at. Pitino far outperformed Clem's first year because he had older players. Now he is retooling much like Clem had to do his first two years when he was 2-16 and then 4-14 in the BT. I am not comparing Pitino to Clem because I don't really know what we have right now as a coach other than an aggressive recruiter who is doggedly trying to stay with the system he has which is geared to high end players- not the guys he has now. I think he believe that he has to stay the course with the system for the long run- even though the short run is a mess right now.

I wouldn't say they are sabotaging but it takes an effort of will to play hard on defense and to rebound and these guys don't have that and the coach doesn't seem to have the ability to get them motivated. I think the lineup last night was the right direction to go minus Konate. He goes out there and gets one rebound, a few fouls and part of three turnovers early while we are still in contention, he's a soul sucking waste out there and they were clearly trying to work the ball towards that oblivion a few times. IMO a lineup with Murphy as the only big man and 4 guards would be better especially against a small team like Nebraska. Seems pretty clear we still need an elite ball handler on this squad as well. Several of these guys are good ball handlers, but we still lack a guy that can beat a double team with the dribble and cause the kind of defensive confusion that Matthieu did, that's where offense starts. Most of our guys can beat someone with the dribble one on one with a pick to help, but they can't beat the pick help, and they need to do that to disrupt, that takes a combo of speed and skill I'm not seeing right now.

Pitino may be a good coach some day. He isn't now. And you don't get to learn on the job in the B1G. It's over, IMO. It's just a question of whether we pull the plug in March 2016 or March 2017.

Fire him after 2017 when we have our practice facility built and a new athletic director. That would provide foe the best opportunity for 2 things to happen. 1.) with the better facilities we have a better chance at getting someone with experience. 2.) the New athletic director can put their own stamp on the program.

Bring back Clem and Gangelhoff. Richard should know how to grease the wheels from his old man, but apparently he doesn't.

Top Bottom