Pitino's Coaching - He's getting it done!

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
The Refs provided a wide open game. A ton of holding fouls on drives (both ways) that were not called. The more open game definitely gave us an advantage by playing our two bigs more. McBrayer needs to get his stroke back, in the mean time I'm glad to see he is aggressively taking it to the rim. Konate was a solid back up last night. If Lynch can stop w the silly reach in fouls, I would like even more what he brings to the team - we are a completely different team this year in big part because of him in the paint (rebounds, block shots, defensive presence). Murphy is impressive - had a nice drive from the top of the key, several offensive low post post-up moves that were impressive and his rebounding. Mason - clutch at the end. Very happy for Hurt and his step up in contribution. I was thrilled to see Springs in at the end of the game. I thought we could have benefited with him on the court at the end of the Michigan St. game - we could have used his experience. He, like all players, occasionally puts up a bad shot but overall he knows how to defend without fouling and he can hit the open 3 stretching the defense. Team defense has been pretty impressive. The 2nd half we pushed their offensive out well past the 3 pt line (taking away the 3 pt shot off the picks) and there was nice help defense on the picks to stop the drives. Great adjustment by the coaches and use of player's skills! Which gets me to the point of this post.

It was hard not to be critical of last year's basketball team. They were brutal in so many ways - individual defense, team defense, offensive execution, finding the open man, bad shot selection. Several lessons to take from last year vs. this year but the most important, "good players make the coach look really good and bad & inexperienced players make the coach look really bad". Pitino is putting in a solid effort this year and having an experienced guard like Mason running the court (Pitino's recruit) suggests Pitino is doing a very good job coaching these players and improving them. Compared to last year, Mason, McBrayer, Murphy, and Konate (all Pitino's recruits) are MUCH better players this year! This coaching staff is developing players and they are learning how to work as a team and execute on the court! They are also doing an awesome job identifying talent and bringing that talent to Minnesota. So far this season, my hats off to the coaching crew.

Great post.

My pre-coffee brain read: Pitino: He's done! I nearly had a heart attack.

This is why you have to give a coach time. Sometimes it IS the coach. At other times he just hasn't had a chance to get enough talent that matches his system in place. With Pitino, all the things that the OP mentioned about last year were true. They didn't play sound defense, block out or execute in general. Better players and another year of working on them and everything has changed. I hope we can lock him up for a good long time, as I believe he will have us competing long term at a higher level than we have seen since 96-97. He recruits, he runs an enjoyable system to watch (and play in for the players) and he communicates very well with the fans and the press. This program is now in great shape to now attract local kids in addition to the national recruiting they have done. If we can continue and get an NCAA berth, I have a feeling that the local players will be committing earlier to assure a spot. Thank you Amir Coffey!

And the little coaching things that pay big dividends like the three different ways at the end that he got Mason open for the inbound pass. Especially the one having Mason set that screen.

And the little coaching things that pay big dividends like the three different ways at the end that he got Mason open for the inbound pass. Especially the one having Mason set that screen.

Imagine a Tubby team at the end of that game.

Edit: I'm not saying last night was perfect. Missed free throws, big men making bad decisions, not using the foul to give, etc.. but they ran the inbound plays really, really well.

I thought last night was Pitino's best game coaching in terms of those out of bounds plays and use of timeouts in both the 1H and 2H. The multiple in-bound sets really impressed me and I was glad to see the Curry/Murphy offense/defense subbing. I still cringe at the lineup with Konate and Hurt together which we do for about 4 minutes each half as both are so limited in offensive production, but glad to see Hurt come through with the big 3.

I was just thinking about that this morning. The team is defending more soundly and running better offense than in the past, especially last year of course. It's more than just the talent - the effort is better, too. I'm wondering what to make of this, and I keep coming up with these factors:
1) Adding Ed Conroy to the staff
2) Maybe this is just a special group of hardworking guys with high BB IQ's
3) I seem to remember Pitino taking some time in the off season to confer with other coaches and watch some pro practices; he might have assimilated some things

The defensive effort in the second half last night was stellar. And I mean effort - they were working hard and wanted it bad. The only hiccup was Mason going under that screen late, which kept NW in the game.

I am most impressed by the improved D. I suspect that is a combination of more experience, more skills, and coaching adjustment, whether that came from Pitino or (I am assuming) Conroy.

Broken record here, but Pitino is not a different coach than he was last year. Maybe he learned something, but he showed me last year that he had the ability to motivate players when he kept them together and playing with effort (if not great execution) during that terrible season. College basketball is notorious for losing teams mailing it in starting the middle of the season and that never happened. That is a testament to the players, but also the coaching staff. That intangible is huge in coaching in college and he showed it last year. Keeping them confident when they are behind this year is another element of that intangible. I think the guy can coach.

This. The ball had to be in Mason's hands and everyone knew it, and yet he got it every time. I was very impressed by that. And such clutch FT's.

I know not everyone is a fan of Pitino yet, but I've always been concerned this is just a stepping stone job if he were to have some success. It appears we're trending in the right direction now, and the roster looks even better for next year (assuming stability). What do people think are the realistic chances he leaves with a roster like this intact and the fact that it would cost him 1 million to take a job somewhere else? Even if he originally had intentions of staying long term, after the the bad press last year, maybe too many bridges were burned, and he wouldn't want to stay long term now.

I know not everyone is a fan of Pitino yet, but I've always been concerned this is just a stepping stone job if he were to have some success. It appears we're trending in the right direction now, and the roster looks even better for next year (assuming stability). What do people think are the realistic chances he leaves with a roster like this intact and the fact that it would cost him 1 million to take a job somewhere else? Even if he originally had intentions of staying long term, after the the bad press last year, maybe too many bridges were burned, and he wouldn't want to stay long term now.

I think they will have to pay him, but he will stay a while. He has the players to build with here and more coming. Once he gets momentum he's going to be sitting pretty in terms of recruiting both nationally and locally. If we continue to progress over the next few weeks the administration might be wise to offer to give him a competitive salary and extend him mid-season. If you wait until the end of the year- games start getting played to up the ante.

Perfect Minnesota talk. An excellent turn around season this year, and we can bet the farm he will be on every rumor list for open Power 5 positions, whether he wants to be or not. By all appearances, he is a straight shooter who says he likes it in Minnesota and wants to be here a long time. I will take him at his word, but we would all be naive to think he is here like Self or K. We need to enjoy it while it is good and not worry about what a hypothetical next might be. My gut says he stays at least a few years if things continue to grow, but who knows. If the Cards call when Dad retires, anything might happen. Here's to Dad's good health and success.

When people worry about a coach leaving Minnesota, I tell them this.

In my lifetime (I'm 30) I don't think a single basketball or football coach has left for "better" jobs. They get fired for losing. So even if they do leave after achieving great things here, the program is better than when they arrived. This is a positive. Lets look at it that way and not worry about where Pitino is headed next (if he has plans to leave at all)

In my lifetime (I'm 30) I don't think a single basketball or football coach has left for "better" jobs. They get fired for losing. So even if they do leave after achieving great things here, the program is better than when they arrived. This is a positive. Lets look at it that way and not worry about where Pitino is headed next (if he has plans to leave at all)

I completely agree. Of course you don't want to lose that coach, but it means that the current position is much more attractive to good talented coaches. People are saying the same thing about Fleck already. It's pretty funny, and yet sad.

Outside of Blue Bloods plus Michigan State I don't think that there would be a school that any coach of MN should leave for. We can offer competitive salary to against any other team out there, we are a big ten school, we have(will have) a new practice facility. The only reason to leave is if they get fired or we choose to let them go.

I'm a lot older and I don't ever remember a coach of a major sport leaving on his own terms, other than Lou Holtz, and that wasn't because of his success here. Agreed with all the assessments that if he leaves for a "better" job, the program here is likely to be on pretty good footing.

Pitino would be an idiot to leave after this year. This team, barring injuries, has elite eight potential next year and then honestly I think he will be on a roll and I am not sure where else he would go unless a big blue blood school came calling and again this would mean the team reached their potential for the next couple years.

I hope if the team continues to do well this year they give him a nice extension.

Back to the original point. I am a believer in Pitino and thought he got ragged on a lot for not being able to coach, but you could tell last year the team was close but was young and didn't have the depth and then the suspensions completely railroaded the end of the season. This year, having the depth they do, has really helped in playing the way they want to play. Aggressive around the rim and using length to disrupt the opposing offense as well as pushing the tempo with a starting lineup of offensive playmakers that can all to varying degrees create their own shot. With 4 guys that can play well at the 4 and 5. Unlike last year where you had a rotation of Konate, Murphy, King, and Diedhou. No offense to King but he was undersized and is better as 8th/9th or so man off the bench in B1G. Gotta give credit to the coaching staff on the progression of Konate. He gives a solid 10 minutes of a big body, and has decreased his silly fouls and looks at least passable on the offensive end coming off the high pick and rolls. The progression of Mason has been nice, giving him a green light on offense seems to have really boosted his confidence even in a game (last night) where he was largely stifled finding his own shot he still had 7 assists and only 1 turnover while making 8 free throws in a row to ice the game.

Again, I am an eternal optimist (I cheer MN sports so I have no idea where that came from) but I have always felt Pitino was a good coach who was just biding ones time until he had his own tools in the toolshed. Lastly, I love the staff he has put around him, big fan of the Conroy pick-up to complement Johnson and Young, anyways not bad for a 34 year old... :cool:

Cause I do.....

King would most definitely still be the 6th man on this team.

The idea of Joey king getting 8th or 9th in minutes is ridiculous, on most teams. Situationally he would play big or very little minutes.

There are two likely scenarios in which I can see him leaving. One is a bit better for the program:

1A) NCAA or B1G success. A blue-blood or blue-bloodish team goes after him. We should celebrate the good times and look forward to another solid coach coming in. To echo some posters, I can't ever remember this happening in any revenue sport. I'm 40. This is Monson leaving Gonzaga and them still being ok.

1B) We have mild success, we haven't fully arrived yet. But there is good trending. Another program comes calling and he bolts because he's fed up with weather, media or administration (or dream job "Lou Holtz). This is the worse of the two... follow up coach wouldn't be as good IMO.

Cause I do.....

King would most definitely still be the 6th man on this team.

The idea of Joey king getting 8th or 9th in minutes is ridiculous, on most teams. Situationally he would play big or very little minutes.

I guess I am getting a little greedy but would you play him in front of curry or springs this year?

I'd move Curry to the back up 5(we've seen him play the 5) and play king as a back up 3/4 and Springs as a back up 2/3 take minutes from Konate.

I'm a lot older and I don't ever remember a coach of a major sport leaving on his own terms, other than Lou Holtz, and that wasn't because of his success here. Agreed with all the assessments that if he leaves for a "better" job, the program here is likely to be on pretty good footing.

The only coach I knew had left for a "better" job is Lou Holtz and not having to hear soundbites from him (and his lisp) forever is probably worth that "loss" for the Gophers.

I'd move Curry to the back up 5(we've seen him play the 5) and play king as a back up 3/4 and Springs as a back up 2/3 take minutes from Konate.

Konate is better at this point than Curry right now in defense if simply he is more of an immovable object at his size, he frustrated Ward a lot more than Curry did against MSU. In a year or two Curry will have surpassed Konate's game but I can not stress enough how important Konate has been and how much he has improved this season. But I hear ya, I am not taking anything away from King and he is a player as a coach/teammate you love to have but I think he was always a little out of his depth with the minutes he had here and would have been better further down the rotation as a give em hell for 10 minutes fire up the crowd guy. I think it is a testament to this team's depth and improvement how far down the pole it could have feasibly pushed a player like King. Again I liked King and his interview after the Maryland game was a really beautiful moment that sports provides not to get cliché-y but that gave me hope for the team this year during that moment.

Konate is better at this point than Curry right now in defense if simply he is more of an immovable object at his size, he frustrated Ward a lot more than Curry did against MSU. In a year or two Curry will have surpassed Konate's game but I can not stress enough how important Konate has been and how much he has improved this season. But I hear ya, and that is a reasonable take to, I am not taking anything away from King and he is a player as a coach/teammate you love to have but I think he was always a little out of his depth with the minutes he had here and would have been better further down the rotation as a give em hell for 10 minutes fire up the crowd guy. I think it is a testament to this team's depth and improvement how far down the pole it could have feasibly pushed a player like King. Again I liked King and his interview after the Maryland game was a really beautiful moment that sports provides not to get cliché-y but that gave me hope for the team this year during that moment.
Its semantics really, I shouldn't have responded with 6th man, but he's certainly your first post off the bench in any situation other than one in which the other team is very small and mobile.

King would have been a very solid peice if he wasn't slotted as the primary rebounder for the team.

King is a better offensive player than Curry and he has more experience than Curry. Will curry be a better post by career end? Most likely. But a Senior King vs a Freshman Curry is a no brainer. King also knows all the rotations, all of the sets it's not a question in my mind.

Its semantics really, I shouldn't have responded with 6th man, but he's certainly your first post off the bench in any situation other than one in which the other team is very small and mobile.

King would have been a very solid peice if he wasn't slotted as the primary rebounder for the team.

King is a better offensive player than Curry and he has more experience than Curry. Will curry be a better post by career end? Most likely. But a Senior King vs a Freshman Curry is a no brainer. King also knows all the rotations, all of the sets it's not a question in my mind.

King is definitely a more versatile offensive player than Curry atm and actually shot a slightly better clip from beyond the arc (40%) than I thought off the top of my head last year. I think you nailed my pain with playing King as much as we did (we had to I know) he is listed at 6-9 235 (same as curry) and averaged just under 4 rebounds in just under 30 minutes of game time last year. Where as Curry is only getting 20 minutes this year and averaging 6 rebounds a game. Senior King > Fresh Curry on the offense I agree but I think it would have been very comparable in minutes with Curry this year as Curry gives you more down low and I think is laterally quicker than King.

Haha I think we are getting into semantics though I agree with ya by and large! King is a nice piece for any team to have, not a 30 minute a night guy, and I probably shouldn't have said 8th/9th he probably would have been more 6th/7th in minutes this year. :)

That final timeout was good to see. And players communicating about positioning after that last made free throw was good to see.

Pitino and staff did have two fantastic coaching efforts these last two games, but as someone alluded to previously, it was a blunder on their part not to have Springs on the court in crunch time vs. Michigan State. It's hard to sit McBrayer down, but I'd do it when we get a little too loosey goosey. As far as Richard leaving town, I said it about six weeks ago that he won't leave until Coffey is done. I also think Washington may be in that category (i.e., Richard is not going to bail before that investment comes to maturity). I DO think he will leave town at that point though, since he's got no roots here and he's the prototypical upwardly mobile coaching prospect. I knew this success was coming last year when watching the play of Mason, McBrayer and Murphy at the home game vs. IU. They changed on that cold as hell Saturday afternoon and I could see this coming. Springs and Lynch and Curry coming in this year have really been solid additions. I credit the staff for this upgrade. Next year we get a freak in Mr. Washington. By all accounts, this kid could be the next Stephon Marbury. I can't possibly overstate how optimistic I am for the near future of this team.

Top Bottom