Pitino thus far 6-4 at New Mexico

Not me. Would have killed our ball movement. He's just a volume scorer. His True Shooting Percentage is well below Battle, Willis, and Stephens and a bit below Sutherlin. He only averages 2.5 assists per 40 minutes. Both of our primarily ball handlers (Willis and Loewe) average more. His Player Efficiency Rating is just average and his Win Shares per 40 minutes number is downright mediocre. And I don't even have to mention his indifferent defense.

None of the players who transferred last season except for Brandon Johnson (and possibly Freeman for front court depth) were worth keeping. Robbins was a valuable player but he hasn't played yet this season so he probably wouldn't have helped us either. I couldn't have tolerated watching Gabe for another season and thank God we unloaded Tre' Williams. He's doing absolutely nothing for his team this year. I liked watching Marcus Carr (mostly) for two seasons but it was his time to go and he wouldn't fit with this team anyway.
Agree to disagree on Mash. I would like to see him play for a coach who demands “more.”

Agree to disagree on Mash. I would like to see him play for a coach who demands “more.”
Although I don't disagree with this, I also don't think he wanted that. Look at his final list when he committed to the U. I think it was pretty obvious that he
  1. Wanted to a focal part in the offense and have the ball in his hands a lot.
  2. Wanted a coach he was comfortable with. In his case I don't think that means a guy who is a boundary pusher. I don't think he wanted that type of push.
For those reasons I didn't want him here. This group needed an overhaul to transform the chemistry and culture.

That's not necessarily true. I just think Pitino is particularly hateable.
He wasn't hateable. He was an average coach who ran an average to slightly below average program. His players graduated. He had two players (Lynch and the one from Balto early on--can't recall his name) get in trouble in eight years. He was allowed to stay two years too long, which isn't his fault. New Mexico will likely be his last HC job because he's his dad in name only. Then he'll head to the broadcast booth where he will be excellent and will have a long career with national prominence.

Not hateable at all. Just average.

There is lots to disagree with about Pitino but since Jan in conference they have lost by 9, 3, a bunch, 8, 6, 2 and 5.
It’s difficult to be that competitive vs all comers in year one. He hasn’t lost his team so far.. He did take over a distant last place team.
Time will tell.

Hmmmm, pitzy is similar to that project manager who fails to complete the project work and acts unfazed. Over and over and over til you can the employee.

Hmmmm, pitzy is similar to that project manager who fails to complete the project work and acts unfazed. Over and over and over til you can the employee.
Seems like an all to reoccurring theme for Gopher basketball. Hope Ben and his staff can change that.

Last edited:

Little Richard now 7-13 after losing to Fresno St. a couple night ago at home. Pathetic!

Well, something has to give next game. New Mexico is at home against San Jose State, led by Tim Miles. Neither team has a win in conference play.

Good to see Richard's Lobo squad get off the schneid last night. They've been playing a lot better, but not getting the results. San Jose State game came at the right time.

Lobos have lost some close ones to the upper shelf of the Mountain West:

Lost by 8 to undefeated MWC leader Boise

Lost by 6 @ Colorado State

Lost by 2 @ Wyoming

Play another one (@ San Diego State) Monday night on FS1.

Good to see Richard's Lobo squad get off the schneid last night. They've been playing a lot better, but not getting the results. San Jose State game came at the right time.

Lobos have lost some close ones to the upper shelf of the Mountain West:

Lost by 8 to undefeated MWC leader Boise

Lost by 6 @ Colorado State

Lost by 2 @ Wyoming

Play another one (@ San Diego State) Monday night on FS1.
Tim Miles is a friend of Richard's too....I'm sure they were both thinking a bit more competitively coming in and throughout the night. Saw a quote from Richard saying all his starters are freshmen and sophomores according to Covid eligibility. They do seem to be improving as the year goes along. That's not easy when you keep losing, so nice to see him get a win.

I couldn't watch for long but I just checked back in on New Mexico vs San Diego St-- 49-29 San Diego State and the announcers are talking about the Lobos throwing the ball all over the place.

Just posted this in the College Basketball thread:

Boy am I glad that Pitino is gone. Watching his New Mexico team play is painful. It's basically Mashburn Jr. and Jaleen House playing hero ball on offense and that's it.

New Mexico beat current MWC leader #22 Wyoming tonight, 75-66. 2 of New Mexico’s 5 starters did not even attempt a shot in a total of 50 minutes played between them, while the other 3 starters accounted for 67 of the team’s 75 points. 54% from the field and 47% from 3.

New Mexico beat current MWC leader #22 Wyoming tonight, 75-66. 2 of New Mexico’s 5 starters did not even attempt a shot in a total of 50 minutes played between them, while the other 3 starters accounted for 67 of the team’s 75 points. 54% from the field and 47% from 3.
Pitino’s record is typical of my golf game enough nice moments to make me come back. Not enough to break 90…..ever

Who makes the tournament first? 10 miles or Fred and also Little Ricky or Big Ben. My money's on Little Ricky. Wasn't a fan but I'm not a fan of this regime either

Nice win for the Lobos last night, but it looks like they have the same issue with House and Mashburn that Pitino had in the Marcus Carr era. It will get you some wins, but if they want consistent success needs a group that's more in tune with each other like his 2016-17 squad

Nice win for the Lobos last night, but it looks like they have the same issue with House and Mashburn that Pitino had in the Marcus Carr era. It will get you some wins, but if they want consistent success needs a group that's more in tune with each other like his 2016-17 squad
Ya, Wyoming was Top 25. New Mexico has won 4 of 5. Their top 3 bigs have been hurt most all season so House and Mashburn gotta score.
Their main problem is defense, not offense.

Who makes the tournament first? 10 miles or Fred and also Little Ricky or Big Ben. My money's on Little Ricky. Wasn't a fan but I'm not a fan of this regime either
As this is your second post, I am not certain if we have heard why you are not a fan of this regime. Care to expand upon this?

Personally I think 8 mile makes it first, big fan of their regime

What's the RPI comparison?

I'm assuming you mean the RPI comparison between New Mexico and Minnesota (you didn't specify). According to CBS Sports, Minnesota is ranked #82 and New Mexico is ranked # 144. The corresponding Sagarin rankings (through Tuesday) are Minnesota (89) and New Mexico (177). New Mexico is 9-17 against D1 teams (they had a win against a D2 team) with a schedule ranked #82. Not counting last night's game, Minnesota was 13-12 against a schedule ranked #21.

I think it's pretty clear which team is better.

I'm assuming you mean the RPI comparison between New Mexico and Minnesota (you didn't specify). According to CBS Sports, Minnesota is ranked #82 and New Mexico is ranked # 144. The corresponding Sagarin rankings (through Tuesday) are Minnesota (89) and New Mexico (177). New Mexico is 9-17 against D1 teams (they had a win against a D2 team) with a schedule ranked #82. Not counting last night's game, Minnesota was 13-12 against a schedule ranked #21.

I think it's pretty clear which team is better.
Thank you for that answer.

Probably given one team is in the Big Ten and one is in the Mountain West, a more fair comparison is how they are doing in their conferences. That comparison makes them more even.

But, I watched part of one New Mexico game this past week and most of a couple Gopher games.
There is no comparison in how they played in those games. The Gophers do some really nice things, you can see an emphasis, a strategy, a focus with the Gophers. It's much harder with New Mexico but they did beat the top team in the conference and that was a game I didn't see. I did see and can't forget the Gopher Nebraska game...that was not good. So, different styles but both are pretty even in year one on a conference standings basis. I have become prejudiced, confident the Gophers make a bigger jump next year than the Lobos but...

Top Bottom