Pitino thus far 6-4 at New Mexico

This wouldn't be nearly as funny if posted by someone else...someone who hadn't spent the past 3 years vigorously resisting any notion Pitino needed to be gone.

False. I simply wasn't spending the time during the season cheering against "my team" and only coming onto a message board to post during losses to tell everybody "told you so". I wanted the best results for those teams each year as I knew we weren't making a coaching change during the seasons.

Bottom line: I always said I trusted Coyle to make the right move when he deemed it time.

Despite having been the head coach here for 8 seasons, “Pitino gets angry and yells too much" is a criticism I swear I've only seen levied at him in like the past few months. Isn't coaches yelling at players and officials something that happens very frequently? This isn't novel or exceptional behavior. Plenty of successful coaches yell and scream a lot, just look at Tom Izzo or Coach K. If you dislike Pitino because he yells too much, you should probably be rolling your eyes in exasperation at like 60% of the coaches you see on TV. Who knew Gopher basketball fans were such staunch critics of toxic masculinity in sports culture? Feels like grasping at straws for reasons to dump on the previous coach. I was pleased to see some of the replies calling out the Gopherhole Twitter account for their tweet about Pitino's "temper tantrum." Yeah he's upset about a bad call, and standing up for his players by yelling at the officials. Alert the media.

"Calling a timeout after a made basket by your own team is a momentum killer and there is no reason to ever do it" is another one that only cropped up partway through season 8. Pretty soon we'll have people pretending they were actually upset about the rental car gas tank.

To be fair he had every right to be upset. It was a horrible call.

Honestly that’s one where I would be happy if my coach just told his team to hit the showers

take the forfeit.

college basketball officiating is so bad and it makes it unwatchable

Honestly that’s one where I would be happy if my coach just told his team to hit the showers

take the forfeit.

+100000

Despite having been the head coach here for 8 seasons, “Pitino gets angry and yells too much" is a criticism I swear I've only seen levied at him in like the past few months. Isn't coaches yelling at players and officials something that happens very frequently? This isn't novel or exceptional behavior. Plenty of successful coaches yell and scream a lot, just look at Tom Izzo or Coach K. If you dislike Pitino because he yells too much, you should probably be rolling your eyes in exasperation at like 60% of the coaches you see on TV. Who knew Gopher basketball fans were such staunch critics of toxic masculinity in sports culture? Feels like grasping at straws for reasons to dump on the previous coach. I was pleased to see some of the replies calling out the Gopherhole Twitter account for their tweet about Pitino's "temper tantrum." Yeah he's upset about a bad call, and standing up for his players by yelling at the officials. Alert the media.

"Calling a timeout after a made basket by your own team is a momentum killer and there is no reason to ever do it" is another one that only cropped up partway through season 8. Pretty soon we'll have people pretending they were actually upset about the rental car gas tank.
What happens is that when we make a coaching change, some people cannot fathom the idea that previous coach (while ultimately not being the right fit) could have had any good qualities. Everything about them was horrible.

We're so far removed from the Mason years, but there was a vocal group of fans that sh!t on anything and everything Glen Mason after he was canned. There are still people that hate Tim Brewster and will point to things like him talking about the Rose Bowl and saying goofy schtick things. Now, Brew was an abject failure as a head coach - no question - but who cares about those things? You see people that have a hard time pointing at a single positive thing that came out of the Kill/Claeys years.

Of all the things to rip on Pitino about, it looks petty to point to him getting mad at a bad call that cost his team a game. Isn't that what we want coaches to do? Wouldn't we be annoyed if Ben Johnson, in the same situation, didn't act similarly?

take the forfeit.

The King Of Bad Takes' take.

Looks like a close call, but likely the right one.
Have to remember that the defender has the right to a spot on the floor. If the offensive player violates that space, it’s a foul. The majority of the calls go against the D.

What happens is that when we make a coaching change, some people cannot fathom the idea that previous coach (while ultimately not being the right fit) could have had any good qualities. Everything about them was horrible.

We're so far removed from the Mason years, but there was a vocal group of fans that sh!t on anything and everything Glen Mason after he was canned. There are still people that hate Tim Brewster and will point to things like him talking about the Rose Bowl and saying goofy schtick things. Now, Brew was an abject failure as a head coach - no question - but who cares about those things? You see people that have a hard time pointing at a single positive thing that came out of the Kill/Claeys years.

Of all the things to rip on Pitino about, it looks petty to point to him getting mad at a bad call that cost his team a game. Isn't that what we want coaches to do? Wouldn't we be annoyed if Ben Johnson, in the same situation, didn't act similarly?
Yup - Gold Vision invoked Monson a day or so ago. Clown.

I don’t begrudge him getting mad at the refs, but when he’s done yelling I wish he wouldn’t take that stance with his arms crossed. It reminds me of my girlfriend when she’s hot at me; and besides it looks a bit too feminine.

"Calling a timeout after a made basket by your own team is a momentum killer and there is no reason to ever do it" is another one that only cropped up partway through season 8.
I don't know about other people, but I definitely hate that one, unless there's like < 1 minute to play.

I agree, but in this case, he cost his team any chance to win the game with his outburst. There were 12.5 seconds left and a 2 point game. Keep it together, man. Then light him up at zeros.

I'm not sure I expected the Lobos to set the world on fire this year, but I certainly didn't expect an 0-7 conference start. That's rough...but I think they'll be better by the end of the year; maybe some momentum going into next season.

I'm not sure I expected the Lobos to set the world on fire this year, but I certainly didn't expect an 0-7 conference start. That's rough...but I think they'll be better by the end of the year; maybe some momentum going into next season.
Sure wish Mashburn had stayed here. Guessing he wishes he had made some other choice too.

Sure wish Mashburn had stayed here. Guessing he wishes he had made some other choice too.

Not me. Would have killed our ball movement. He's just a volume scorer. His True Shooting Percentage is well below Battle, Willis, and Stephens and a bit below Sutherlin. He only averages 2.5 assists per 40 minutes. Both of our primarily ball handlers (Willis and Loewe) average more. His Player Efficiency Rating is just average and his Win Shares per 40 minutes number is downright mediocre. And I don't even have to mention his indifferent defense.

None of the players who transferred last season except for Brandon Johnson (and possibly Freeman for front court depth) were worth keeping. Robbins was a valuable player but he hasn't played yet this season so he probably wouldn't have helped us either. I couldn't have tolerated watching Gabe for another season and thank God we unloaded Tre' Williams. He's doing absolutely nothing for his team this year. I liked watching Marcus Carr (mostly) for two seasons but it was his time to go and he wouldn't fit with this team anyway.

That's not necessarily true. I just think Pitino is particularly hateable.

Of all the things to rip on Pitino about, it looks petty to point to him getting mad at a bad call that cost his team a game. Isn't that what we want coaches to do? Wouldn't we be annoyed if Ben Johnson, in the same
Pitino was a bad coach. Quit making excuses.

Top Bottom