Pitino thus far 6-4 at New Mexico

Are you saying he should have resigned in shame 3-4 years ago?
I'm saying he should have been fired at least 2 years before he was. I like the current AD, and certainly covid complicated the situation, but he should have ignored the apologists and canned his ass.

I don't think he "represented the U well." Wins represent the U well.

I'm saying he should have been fired at least 2 years before he was. I like the current AD, and certainly covid complicated the situation, but he should have ignored the apologists and canned his ass.

I will give you this: our administration's slowness to recognize the need to move on from him did not reflect well on the institution. All Richard did, though, was continue to work under his contract. No shame in that.

I will give you this: our administration's slowness to recognize the need to move on from him did not reflect well on the institution. All Richard did, though, was continue to work under his contract. No shame in that.
Not sure what he did to represent the u of m poorly aside from performing about as well or a little worse than Tubby Smith (43% conference winning percentage) and Dan Monson (39%)

pitino (36%)

I had high hopes for Pitino and thought his Xs and Os would improve over time (especially with lineage). He got some decent talent (though missed on many locals), and thought he could change his best for many years… I was expecting CBJ to also need some learning curve on in game coaching, etc… but he has shown great strength in this area from day 1 and tells me I probably had too much patience with Pitino!

I had high hopes for Pitino and thought his Xs and Os would improve over time (especially with lineage). He got some decent talent (though missed on many locals), and thought he could change his best for many years… I was expecting CBJ to also need some learning curve on in game coaching, etc… but he has shown great strength in this area from day 1 and tells me I probably had too much patience with Pitino!
If CBJ can land the locals (which given his coaching chops seems like a great bet), he will quickly be nationally recognized as a top coach in the nation!

Reactions: SDR

As long as you can fairly and honestly divide two completely separate groups of "doubters", then that's fair.

The groups being: i) those who hated the hire and want him to fail purely for (perceived) political reasons, and ii) those who were disappointed that a head coach with previous HC'ing experience, that could've been had for the same money, wasn't the choice, at the time of the hiring.
Agreed. We pretty much know who they are.

His Recruiting will be tough as he will have to work even harder going against guys that work their tails off trying to move the P5 level.

As long as you can fairly and honestly divide two completely separate groups of "doubters", then that's fair.

The groups being: i) those who hated the hire and want him to fail purely for (perceived) political reasons, and ii) those who were disappointed that a head coach with previous HC'ing experience, that could've been had for the same money, wasn't the choice, at the time of the hiring.
iii) people who trust the AD and support the HC, whoever it is, until they don't.

His Recruiting will be tough as he will have to work even harder going against guys that work their tails off trying to move the P5 level.
Do you think he (Pitino) wants to get back to P5 (6 with Big East) head coach?

Usually - I think, not confirmed - the Mountain West head coaches are guys moving up the ladder who have never been P5/6 head coaches yet. So interesting to see the difference, like you're describing.

I don't pay much attention to the outliers. At least they have stayed consistent in their viewpoints, mistaken or not.

I don't trust some of the folks who criticized the hire and who are now supportive. They will quickly revert when there are some tough losses or questionable decisions.
Let's all remember BJ has coached (HC) about 10 games. Total. In CBB.

All we know is the results of the games already played. Results after season one is concluded will tell a bit more, and each season thereafter.

Results are what matters. Just win, baby.

I half expected a "Fire Ben Johnson" thread to have been created after the Mich St loss.
Yeah, but that's not unique to the Ben Johnson/Pitino dynamic (see football board).

You're arguing with a person who has proudly lived his entire life off of government handouts. He has no idea what terms like "earn", "shame", or "work" really mean.

Of course you're 100% right. Pitino didn't do anything to bring vitriol towards him. He just didn't succeed as a coach here. Folks like USAF need this internet tough guy routine to forget about the misery of their own lives.

Pitino stinks as a coach, but no reason to go out of our way to rip the dude.

I have nothing poor to say about Richard. He left on good terms, and I wish him the best. He's not a Jerry Kill who I hope gets curb stomped by Minnesota to open his upcoming season.

?

Jerry Kill helped turn the football program around. What with the hate?

?

Jerry Kill helped turn the football program around. What with the hate?
He’s publicly taken personal shots at Fleck about his previous marriage and I believe said Fleck “makes it all about Fleck,” instead of the players. I believe he’s also dumped on the university and/or administration and said at one point that he would never set foot on the U of M campus again.

I liked him just fine when he was here and would have wished him luck, but his comments since Claeys got fired have kinda soured me on him. I’ve still got a Jerrysota student section t shirt from 2012, as well as a Dressed for Kill tuxedo t shirt that I thought was really cool and creative, but I feel weird about wearing them now. I think there was a possible timeline where Kill retires from coaching but still remains a beloved figure at Minnesota for bringing us back to respectability, putting some players in the NFL, beating Iowa a couple times, and everyone cheers when he comes on the screen to tell the crowd to do the Gopher, but that’s not gonna happen now, and it’s too bad. I don’t like hate hate him, but I wanted to like him and it’s tough to do that now.

Bruce Pearl wins at Auburn. Does he represent that school well? He won at Tennessee. Did he represent that school well?

Yeah, but that's not unique to the Ben Johnson/Pitino dynamic (see football board).
There's been no Johnson/Pitino "dynamic." There has been no public communication between the two of them that I am aware of. Kill did take some public shots at Fleck. That would be the correct use of "dynamic."

You're arguing with a person who has proudly lived his entire life off of government handouts. He has no idea what terms like "earn", "shame", or "work" really mean.

Of course you're 100% right. Pitino didn't do anything to bring vitriol towards him. He just didn't succeed as a coach here. Folks like USAF need this internet tough guy routine to forget about the misery of their own lives.

Pitino stinks as a coach, but no reason to go out of our way to rip the dude.
What does how USAF has or has not made a living have to do with this discussion? I don't agree with his views on the topic but they bear no relation to his job, business, profession, net worth, assets, liabilities, family status, hobbies, etc. etc.

Since you led w/ the government handouts accusation, it must be a super important connection to you. Do you have the evidence to back up the "charge," barrister?

I’d argue Richards X’s and O’s were fine. His team building and lack of identifying players that fit a system left a lot to be desired. He also always prioritized offense over defense. That just doesn’t really win here. It’s part of why I never wanted Hoiberg either.

What does how USAF has or has not made a living have to do with this discussion? I don't agree with his views on the topic but they bear no relation to his job, business, profession, net worth, assets, liabilities, family status, hobbies, etc. etc.

Since you led w/ the government handouts accusation, it must be a super important connection to you. Do you have the evidence to back up the "charge," barrister?
Drink!

Someone who is living off of government handouts probably should not have his panties in a wad about someone else getting undeserved money. Is it that hard to follow along?

There's been no Johnson/Pitino "dynamic." There has been no public communication between the two of them that I am aware of. Kill did take some public shots at Fleck. That would be the correct use of "dynamic."
You think people have to have a public communication between them to have a "dynamic". LOL. You googled the word and landed on the first definition. LOL. Jam Jam, you're really searching for something here.

The "dynamic" is not between Ben and Pitino, you f'n moron LOL. It's a dynamic exists within the Gopher Men's basketball program. The dynamic is the shift from one coach to another. Notice how when I said "see", I pointed at another program.

Merriam-Webster: Dynamic: a force or factor that controls or influences a process of growth, change, interaction, or activity

A factor (switching coaches from Pitino to Ben) that influences a process of growth, change, interaction or activity.

I know you probably did really bad in school. But if a word works for one of the definition, you can use it. The internet exists, you have no excuse to be this f'n stupid.

You think people have to have a public communication between them to have a "dynamic". LOL. You googled the word and landed on the first definition. LOL. Jam Jam, you're really searching for something here.

The "dynamic" is not between Ben and Pitino, you f'n moron LOL. It's a dynamic exists within the Gopher Men's basketball program. The dynamic is the shift from one coach to another. Notice how when I said "see", I pointed at another program.

Merriam-Webster: Dynamic: a force or factor that controls or influences a process of growth, change, interaction, or activity

A factor (switching coaches from Pitino to Ben) that influences a process of growth, change, interaction or activity.

I know you probably did really bad in school. But if a word works for one of the definition, you can use it. The internet exists, you have no excuse to be this f'n stupid.
Rip poster for being an internet tough guy. Then act like the same two posts later to a different poster. If you’re so proper, then just do better please. Now let’s keep this thread on track and rip Pitino. Thank you

All said and done it can't be undone. Move on!

Rip poster for being an internet tough guy. Then act like the same two posts later to a different poster. If you’re so proper, then just do better please. Now let’s keep this thread on track and rip Pitino. Thank you
How was I being an internet tough guy? I answered an insanely stupid question by Jam Jam. There is nowhere in my post did I act tough. I laughed at the idiot for looking for a fight and failing miserably, but I never acted like a "tough guy".

As far as wanting the thread to stay about Pitino, sure, like the post I'm replying to? I won't post another non-Pitino message in the thread, but I'll respond to them. You're very welcome!

How was I being an internet tough guy? I answered an insanely stupid question by Jam Jam. There is nowhere in my post did I act tough. I laughed at the idiot for looking for a fight and failing miserably, but I never acted like a "tough guy".

As far as wanting the thread to stay about Pitino, sure, like the post I'm replying to? I won't post another non-Pitino message in the thread, but I'll respond to them. You're very welcome!
Lol guess I define calling people idiots on a fan board as a form of being an internet tough guy. I’ll stand corrected.

Last edited:

Top Bottom