Pitino thinking about bringing a sports psychologist + ex-players for fresh voice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I hope they get Pitino's message through to this team, or at least get them to think about taking the best percentage shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I picture Bobby Jackson and Eric Harris "walking through that door" to talk about smash-mouth defense. First they show a tape of the 1997 regional final, then turn up the lights and ask, "Any questions?" Then they go "Scared Straight" on the guys. Whoever isn't physically shaking at the end of that gets to start the next game.

I picture Bobby Jackson and Eric Harris "walking through that door" to talk about smash-mouth defense. First they show a tape of the 1997 regional final, then turn up the lights and ask, "Any questions?" Then they go "Scared Straight" on the guys. Whoever isn't physically shaking at the end of that gets to start the next game.

Or John Thomas, I remember him being better than his stats on sports reference suggest.

Or John Thomas, I remember him being better than his stats on sports reference suggest.

B-Jack, Harris, James, Thomas, Jacobson, Q...that entire team was filled with bad-asses. Some may have had their shortcomings off-court, but on it they were really good basketball players who were tough as hell.

'98 team could have been really, really good, too

On the court, Courtney James is/was my favorite Gopher PF. Dude was built to play that position in the Big Ten. Too bad the off-court stuff derailed him, would have liked to see what he could've become over a 4-year college career.

The '98 team would have been really good, too (not Final 4 good, but damn good), if James and Charles Thomas had stayed out of trouble. Those guys with Sam I Am, Harris, Q, Tarver as an enforcer, and then add in Kevin Clark and to a lesser extent Terrance Simmons? That would have been more than enough pieces for a good Big Ten team.

On the court, Courtney James is/was my favorite Gopher PF. Dude was built to play that position in the Big Ten. Too bad the off-court stuff derailed him, would have liked to see what he could've become over a 4-year college career.

The '98 team would have been really good, too (not Final 4 good, but damn good), if James and Charles Thomas had stayed out of trouble. Those guys with Sam I Am, Harris, Q, Tarver as an enforcer, and then add in Kevin Clark and to a lesser extent Terrance Simmons? That would have been more than enough pieces for a good Big Ten team.

Sadly, Charles Thomas had back problems, so even if he'd stayed on the narrow path, he'd probably be on the list including Randy Carter and Jayson Walton who never reached their potential due to injuries.

Sadly, Charles Thomas had back problems, so even if he'd stayed on the narrow path, he'd probably be on the list including Randy Carter and Jayson Walton who never reached their potential due to injuries.

Good memory, I forgot that. I think he transferred to Eastern Kentucky but never played there much, if at all?

I was a big Jason Walton fan. Would have been a huge star(with good knees).

This leads me to believe there's a disconnect between the coach and the players. I've always gone with the theory that RP was simply not a good coach (and he still may not be a good coach) but this seems to indicate a 'mental' thing between coach and players. Unless RP is simply not aware of how bad of a coach he is (I highly doubt this is the reason).

This leads me to believe there's a disconnect between the coach and the players. I've always gone with the theory that RP was simply not a good coach (and he still may not be a good coach) but this seems to indicate a 'mental' thing between coach and players. Unless RP is simply not aware of how bad of a coach he is (I highly doubt this is the reason).
As long as we're not dealing with a Lane Kiffin kind of thing....

My opinion, there is no player on the current team that holds anyone else responsible for playing hard. There is no Kevin Garnet type personality on the gophers(or to rephrase no one who thinks that they can hold others responsible maybe some young guys will in a few years).

Why would bringing in a sports psychologist lead you to believe that there's a mental thing between coaches and players? Pitino has said several times this week that the guys are lacking confidence right now. I'm sure that's the focus. The shrink wouldn't come in and help them understand the offense.

Coaches do this sort of thing from time to time. I don't know if it helps. But what does it have to do with his ability to coach?

Why would bringing in a sports psychologist lead you to believe that there's a mental thing between coaches and players? Pitino has said several times this week that the guys are lacking confidence right now. I'm sure that's the focus. The shrink wouldn't come in and help them understand the offense. Coaches do this sort of thing from time to time. I don't know if it helps. But what does it have to do with his ability to coach?

I believe Tubby did this as well.

My opinion, there is no player on the current team that holds anyone else responsible for playing hard. There is no Kevin Garnet type personality on the gophers(or to rephrase no one who thinks that they can hold others responsible maybe some young guys will in a few years).

+1

I'm really scared of the IU game... IU lit us up last year, I think they have a team that plays a similar style to what RP WANTS to play but they are light years ahead of us from a talent and knowledge stand point. If we don't match IUs intensity from the tip off this one isn't going to be pretty, and that isn't going to be good on our young pysche's.

That said, perhaps a free flowing open-ended game is what McBrayer/Dorsey and Morris need to get going, this is the game for it to happen.

a bit surprised SPPs aren't already integrated into most of our teams. time issue, cost issue or the U just doesn't buy into it?

I'm really scared of the IU game... IU lit us up last year, I think they have a team that plays a similar style to what RP WANTS to play but they are light years ahead of us from a talent and knowledge stand point. If we don't match IUs intensity from the tip off this one isn't going to be pretty, and that isn't going to be good on our young pysche's.

That said, perhaps a free flowing open-ended game is what McBrayer/Dorsey and Morris need to get going, this is the game for it to happen.

After back to back blowouts to NW and Neb why would anything this team does scare you?

After back to back blowouts to NW and Neb why would anything this team does scare you?

Just because you've had one nightmare over and over does that not continue to be a nightmare? I guess at sometime it becomes a dream? I'm not there yet.

Bringing in a sports psychologist is a waste of money unless they are getting the services for free. It's not like they players are having anxiety issues at the line or they get so anxious they can't break a press and can't like pass or dribble. Plus, medication and behavior therapy are most effective in dealing with anxiety issues and so on.

Bringing in a sports psychologist is a waste of money unless they are getting the services for free. It's not like they players are having anxiety issues at the line or they get so anxious they can't break a press and can't like pass or dribble. Plus, medication and behavior therapy are most effective in dealing with anxiety issues and so on.

Yeah. It's not like 11 time NBA champion Phil Jackson has ever done that. George Mumford or Jerry Lynch might be good people to read up on.

certainly, unless you buy into sports are "90% mental" like the seattle seahawks, crimson tide, our olympic teams, etc.

Why would bringing in a sports psychologist lead you to believe that there's a mental thing between coaches and players? Pitino has said several times this week that the guys are lacking confidence right now. I'm sure that's the focus. The shrink wouldn't come in and help them understand the offense.

Coaches do this sort of thing from time to time. I don't know if it helps. But what does it have to do with his ability to coach?

Because there was talk yesterday about the possibility of the team simply not playing hard because of RP.

+1+1

The dreaded sports psychologist. Has Richard jumped the shark?

Top Bottom