Pitino team camp

gbbfan

Reaction score
Is the team camp being held at the U open to the public?

Doubt it.

Team camps are usually open, as you'll get some family members and coaches there watching. I watched some games a couple different years during Tubby's time, so I would expect it to be open this weekend as well. I believe games started this morning and run thru Sunday afternoon.

Team camps are usually open, as you'll get some family members and coaches there watching. I watched some games a couple different years during Tubby's time, so I would expect it to be open this weekend as well. I believe games started this morning and run thru Sunday afternoon.

Nice, wasn't expecting that. Hopefully the media tweets (or writes) some good updates on how it's going then. Wish Tubby would have taken advantage of these more. Marcus had a tweet suggesting Tubby didn't really believe in these sorts of team camps, especially as it pertains to recruiting.

If anyone gets a chance to see that game between Jarvis Johnson and Jimmy Whitt at Bierman around 10:15am today. Give some updates please.

It's open to the public, I'm sure Pitino and staff will be in attendance.
I would go but my team is also in the camp and I can not make it.

I'm sure I'll get some twitter updates from Ryan James and others, but I'd like to see what others think. According to James, Whitt put on a nice showing against Sam Nueman with the gophers staff in attendance.

Go on Ryan James' twitter page for updates. Don't know if others are tweeting. I was hoping to make it over there but didn't work out.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota assistant is showing around Eau Claire Regis wing Billy Wampler, while head Richard Pitino was just giving Jimmy Whitt a tour.</p>— Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) <a href="https://twitter.com/collegebbnews/statuses/482942513654009856">June 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Anybody care to explain just what Tubby did believe in as a recruiting strategy?

For the little it's worth, the team camp is very poorly run. I know that "running a good summer camp" is not priority 1 for a major conference coaching staff, but their effort with the camp is laughable. Several metro coaches were shocked at how bad it was.

Was it just really unorganized, or what exactly was so bad? I really have no idea what these camps are like.

For the little it's worth, the team camp is very poorly run. I know that "running a good summer camp" is not priority 1 for a major conference coaching staff, but their effort with the camp is laughable. Several metro coaches were shocked at how bad it was.

Yeah it was kinda unorganized. Apparently they were unable to use a facility thought they were gonna be able to use. They did a lot of last minute rescheduling and changing of venues, I had to miss one of my teams game due to this, couldn't record the games like they planned.

But they refunded teams partially for reschedules and another refund was issued for not recording. All in all it was still a good experience. Glad my team played in it, got to be around the gophers, staff, and facilities.

I think the camp staff made sure the marquee games and match ups were held at Beirman so Pitino and staff could watch them close to his office and connect with recruits so that was cool for recruiting purposes.

That's very surprising, does not sound like Pitino or Teague to put out a half-*ssed product when it pertains to relations with basketball coaches.

I wonder what happened with the facility ... it would be just like the U to tell the men's basketball team they can't use Williams or some other court because there's dance team camp there or something. SMH

Does anyone know why they don't use the Pavilion for basketball events. Back when Monson ran the team camp they used Williams, the Pavilion, and that god-awful field house. But the Pavilion always seemed like a good alternate if you couldn't play on the Williams floor. Just curious.

Was it just really unorganized, or what exactly was so bad? I really have no idea what these camps are like.

Pathetically unorganized. Multiple schedule changes within the hours leading up to the first games. Multiple changes meaning like as many as 6 or 8. As well as the late-breaking change that Williams was still under construction and would not be available, after all. Refs not showing up / lined up, which resulted in some games where Gopher players and other random personnel reffing games by themselves.

After the ridiculous number of schedule changes, the schedule that ultimately prevailed was not a tournament or bracket. It was just a series of individual games. These types of tournaments always feature some type of round-robin / pool play - then a bracket / tournament - which results in a guarantee of 3, 4, 5 games - something like that.

The HS coaches there were not happy. It was incredibly lame and left a very bad impression.

Pathetically unorganized. Multiple schedule changes within the hours leading up to the first games. Multiple changes meaning like as many as 6 or 8. As well as the late-breaking change that Williams was still under construction and would not be available, after all. Refs not showing up / lined up, which resulted in some games where Gopher players and other random personnel reffing games by themselves.

After the ridiculous number of schedule changes, the schedule that ultimately prevailed was not a tournament or bracket. It was just a series of individual games. These types of tournaments always feature some type of round-robin / pool play - then a bracket / tournament - which results in a guarantee of 3, 4, 5 games - something like that.

The HS coaches there were not happy. It was incredibly lame and left a very bad impression.

Don't like the sounds of that. Either do it right or don't do it at all. Who's usually most responsible for making sure events like these go off without (too) many hitches, the assistants?

That's actually kind of depressing news. Also, does anyone know if they plan on upgrading the practice area at Bierman? I know they walled it off and added a weight room, but when I was watching some highlights, the practice court looked stale and bare. A good paint job, hanging some banners, and adding a few other accoutrements would go a long way.

That's actually kind of depressing news. Also, does anyone know if they plan on upgrading the practice area at Bierman? I know they walled it off and added a weight room, but when I was watching some highlights, the practice court looked stale and bare. A good paint job, hanging some banners, and adding a few other accoutrements would go a long way.

Since the ('97) Big Ten championship and Final Four banners aren't allowed inside Williams Arena, maybe the Bierman practice building would be the perfect place to bring them out of retirement/mothballs.

Since the ('97) Big Ten championship and Final Four banners aren't allowed inside Williams Arena, maybe the Bierman practice building would be the perfect place to bring them out of retirement/mothballs.

Good idea SS.

What about the signs for every Big Ten school that were on the facing of the upper level....looked like oversized street signs in their school colors. Anyone know what happened to them?

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I guess the good news is that it should be better next year, haha.

Yeah it was kinda unorganized. Apparently they were unable to use a facility thought they were gonna be able to use. They did a lot of last minute rescheduling and changing of venues, I had to miss one of my teams game due to this, couldn't record the games like they planned.

But they refunded teams partially for reschedules and another refund was issued for not recording. All in all it was still a good experience. Glad my team played in it, got to be around the gophers, staff, and facilities.

I think the camp staff made sure the marquee games and match ups were held at Beirman so Pitino and staff could watch them close to his office and connect with recruits so that was cool for recruiting purposes.

Seems odd that it was that pathetically planned. I almost wonder how it's possible to screw it up that badly. Hopefully the staff was very apologetic after wasting the time of coaches/players.

I thought the same thing. If you're going to put in the time/money to make it like a practice facility, you might as well make it a little more visually appealing. It wouldn't be that hard to do.

Jokes are funny.

Top Bottom